DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I've got three episodes left to watch of Arrow season two, and as awesome as it is, my favorite bit is that the ARGUS hotel room where agents occasionally fuck is the Ostrander Suite. 

It's shit like that, man, that makes me forgive anything clunky in these DCW shows. At their core are creators who love the source material.

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2017 at 4:32 PM, odessasteps said:

earth X? 

Where the Nazis won the war?

timely. 

Timely did thrive as a company when their characters were fighting nazis.

Also, the best thing about that is that all the heads are looking at the action, except Heat Wave and White Canary . They're focused elsewhere. It's a fine bit of character work.

and is that Captain Cold behind Barry's head?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been re-watching Arrow for the past few weeks because of all you guys doing the same thing. I totally forgot how fucking good S2 was, Slade Wilson is easily the best villain in the DC TV universe (but is that really saying much?). S3 isn't that bad, I could do without the Hong Kong flashbacks but I've just accepted it's part of the show now. The ones in the previous season were good because it had Sara and Slade, but these flashbacks... not so much.

I really dread some of the later seasons of Arrow, however. I watched them live and I remember how boring it got to be at times. I've went back and watched all of S1 of The Flash too, and that still holds up really strongly as well. I have no interest to go back over S2 with all that Zoom bullshit, though. That's still relatively fresh in my mind, while the first season and a handful of Arrow seasons aren't.

Should be watching the season of Gotham that Netflix just added about a week or two ago since I'm now DVRing the current season on FOX, but damnit, I like Arrow way too much. I should be trying to catch up on Supergirl too, but I can't get into that show for some reason and I don't know why. I bingewatched the first season, thought it was pretty good, then watched a few of the next season and I just couldn't do it.

EDIT: Ray Palmer is a smug little asshole. I forgot why I hated that character so much. It gets worse when Legends of Tomorrow starts - his shit with like, every female on that ship gets old fast. Always trying to be the hero, thinking he's always right. He's every billionaire superhero but without all the redeeming qualities and with all of the bad ones.

On 10/9/2017 at 1:13 AM, Casey said:

I've been re-watching Arrow for the past few weeks because of all you guys doing the same thing. I totally forgot how fucking good S2 was, Slade Wilson is easily the best villain in the DC TV universe (but is that really saying much?). S3 isn't that bad, I could do without the Hong Kong flashbacks but I've just accepted it's part of the show now. The ones in the previous season were good because it had Sara and Slade, but these flashbacks... not so much.

I really dread some of the later seasons of Arrow, however. I watched them live and I remember how boring it got to be at times. I've went back and watched all of S1 of The Flash too, and that still holds up really strongly as well. I have no interest to go back over S2 with all that Zoom bullshit, though. That's still relatively fresh in my mind, while the first season and a handful of Arrow seasons aren't.

Should be watching the season of Gotham that Netflix just added about a week or two ago since I'm now DVRing the current season on FOX, but damnit, I like Arrow way too much. I should be trying to catch up on Supergirl too, but I can't get into that show for some reason and I don't know why. I bingewatched the first season, thought it was pretty good, then watched a few of the next season and I just couldn't do it.

EDIT: Ray Palmer is a smug little asshole. I forgot why I hated that character so much. It gets worse when Legends of Tomorrow starts - his shit with like, every female on that ship gets old fast. Always trying to be the hero, thinking he's always right. He's every billionaire superhero but without all the redeeming qualities and with all of the bad ones.

Ray gets a ton better in LOT season two.

I wish I was watching whatever show you were, then. I watched it as it aired like you did, still don't care for Ray. He's such a whiny little bitch. One episode in particular sticks out, but I can't remember the name. I think it's the Civil War one? Jealous Ray strikes again.

I don’t recall him getting jealous over anyone that season. It couldn’t have been Sara and Vixen was either mourning Rex or banging Nate. I really liked Ray in the Camelot episode and the one where he teams with Thawne. Getting rid of the Hawks helped everything. :)

After watching the three shows LoT was my favorite episode with Supergirl a fairly close second and Flash in a distant third. 

While Flash had some good stuff going on I was hoping they let the story breathe for a couple episodes.  Instead they couldn't wait to bring him back.  Even then I was annoyed by his psycho babble but if they had that for an episode or two to figure it out I could understand it.  But nope, just say the magic words and he's back to normal.  And on top of that next week seems to be all about wacky shit Cisco put in the new suit.  Unless something unexpected happens it seems like a wasted opportunity to tell the story properly. 

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

After watching the three shows LoT was my favorite episode with Supergirl a fairly close second and Flash in a distant third. 

Hide contents

While Flash had some good stuff going on I was hoping they let the story breathe for a couple episodes.  Instead they couldn't wait to bring him back.  Even then I was annoyed by his psycho babble but if they had that for an episode or two to figure it out I could understand it.  But nope, just say the magic words and he's back to normal.  And on top of that next week seems to be all about wacky shit Cisco put in the new suit.  Unless something unexpected happens it seems like a wasted opportunity to tell the story properly. 

I 100% agree.

Spoiler

They really could have the story breathe, especially since they have Cisco and Wally around to do the actual crime fighting stuff.  They really should have let the supporting cast prove themselves capable before meeting a threat that they can't handle without Barry.  Now, they just look like jobbers, and we didn't have any time to miss Barry.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I 100% agree.

Reveal hidden contents

They really could have the story breathe, especially since they have Cisco and Wally around to do the actual crime fighting stuff.  They really should have let the supporting cast prove themselves capable before meeting a threat that they can't handle without Barry.  Now, they just look like jobbers, and we didn't have any time to miss Barry.

Spoiler

Exactly.  It's a prime example of "How can I miss you if you're not gone?"  And they're capable of doing this, heck in the past they had some nice story arcs that when paid off were really awesome moments.  They could have had that awesome moment but instead killed the effect by cramming it into one episode.