DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

So I actually never watched Arrow until towards the end of last season and then this past one. I remember thinking that it looked too dark and grim so I passed. Then Flash started and I got drawn in. 

So I figured I'd catch up over the summer and started at episode one last night. I liked it a lot, but that's probably offset by the fact that I know eventually it'll be Green Arrow and more super hero-ish.

Season One has a real charm in how rough it is. You can see them figuring it out and getting less and less ashamed of the weird comic booky stuff as it goes. S2 is arguably the best season they've done yet. 3 has some series highs but doesn't come together well. 4 is a mess. Some stuff I liked, but a mess. 5 is just barely behind 2 as my second favourite.

S4 was a mess, but I thought Dahrke was the most credible villain they'd had since Deathstroke. Chase ended up being a great villain, despite the WTFness of the reveal.  I mentioned some pages back that I'm going back to the beginning of Arrow, and I really miss the simplicity of the first 2 seasons.

Dahrke would have worked fine had they just acknowledged he was well outside the Arrow crew's weight class and brought in whatever metas and mystic characters for a team up. It was also dumb to pigeonhole themselves into needing to kill off a main cast member.

Chase worked well enough though I still don't think he ever quite made sense and hate them feeling the need to pull a gotcha with comic readers.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Chase worked well enough though I still don't think he ever quite made sense and hate them feeling the need to pull a gotcha with comic readers.

Pretty much, though it's rumored they may have Vigilante be his....wait for it...twin. 

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Dahrke would have worked fine had they just acknowledged he was well outside the Arrow crew's weight class and brought in whatever metas and mystic characters for a team up. It was also dumb to pigeonhole themselves into needing to kill off a main cast member.

Agree on Dahrke, especially since this universe has set a precedent with that. Remember Flash calling in help with Reverse Flash simply because he knew he was outmatched. I think that season went out of it's way to show that Barry was too busy with Zoom to help Team Arrow with Dahrke, though.

• Like 1

My only real problem with S5 of Arrow was that Chase was TOO smart a villan.  The team wasn't even out of their class, but everything was impossibly planned out.  But yeah, it was still better than S4.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Agree on Dahrke, especially since this universe has set a precedent with that. Remember Flash calling in help with Reverse Flash simply because he knew he was outmatched. I think that season went out of it's way to show that Barry was too busy with Zoom to help Team Arrow with Dahrke, though.

I do recall them mentioning Zoom keeping Barry busy. It also reminds me of similar wasted team up moment where Barry defeated all of Zoom's metas from E2 way too damn easily on his own.

All in all though, I love the DCW shows. I'm 47 years old so all of my memories of Super Hero TV shows are full of disappointing crap. The only shows I remotely like that I watched as a kid is the 1950's Superman show, and that's just based on the charm of it , and the 60's Batman.

The Seventies was just boring shit like the Hulk, dopey shit like Wonder Woman, and that terrible Spider-Man show. Just years and years of shows where Hollywood dummies who never read a comic in their lives made shitty shows. These shows, no matter what you can complain about, fucking get it.

• Like 2

Well, with The Thinker, at least we'll keep it to just Wally for a while, and they won't pull Barry out of the Speed Force in the first episode.

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Well, with The Thinker, at least we'll keep it to just Wally for a while, and they won't pull Barry out of the Speed Force in the first episode.

Or will they?

Dun Dun DUNNNNNN!!

fa9f051f986128e43b4f2d15a1322f74887d0859

• 2 weeks later...

For those old heads like me who remember watching the Adam West Batman, (RIP)  . Do you remember when the scene changed and thier was a sound effect and spinning bat that happened?  I was watching Gotham and when E Nigmas cell would ring.  That was the ringtone.  Thought that was a nice little call back. 

HBO is attempting to develop WATCHMEN for TV again.  This time, they've kicked it over to Damon Lindelof to see what he can do with it.  

Which actually sounds perfect.

And before anybody goes BUT LOST DURRR, I submit to you his most recent work, THE LEFTOVERS, was a fucking masterpiece.

It always made more sense on TV than as a movie, other than budget (animated series being one obvious solution) so if they are gonna throw anything close to Game of Thrones money at this...

At this point it's a bit of a catch-22. If they do a wholly faithful adaptation then all the twists are spoiled in advance for readers of the book and many of them for people who saw the movie. If they diverge too far it'll get heavily scrutinized.

I just don't really see the upside there even if it's great. Then again, I'll probably watch it so what do I know?

Maybe they'll adapt the "Before Watchmen" series of books. It pretty much just expands on every major character in Watchmen (and most appealing to me is the fact that they explore Dr. Manhattan in depth, pre and post accident, and shows all the realities he inhabits at the same time).

On 6/20/2017 at 11:14 PM, EVA said:

And before anybody goes BUT LOST DURRR, I submit to you his most recent work, THE LEFTOVERS, was a fucking masterpiece.

But LOST..

I'm watching regardless.  I hope it's a series.  It'll be interesting at the very least.

Question for those that still watch Gorham... has it gotten any better? I tapped out during the first season when Jada Pinkett just became too much to bear. Is she still on it? 

If I was to make a list of my all time least favorite characters from every single show that has aired in the near 40 years I have been alive, Fish Mooney would be in the top 5. Maybe even top 3. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Arrow season one and I loved it. Granted, its all based on the fact I know eventually its going to be an actual super hero show. But that's the thing,  based on all the little need references, its clear Berlannti wanted to eventually go that way. Shit like " The corner of Wolfman  and Perez" and Ferris Airlines had me grinning. But my absolute favorite was that the earthquake device was created by Brion Markov. That's some deep nerd shit right there and i love it.

• Like 2