DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

With so much of this season being about Barry being a fuck up the ending to the finale actually made some sense. I'm curious how they approach things next season. I don't want him back within five minutes or even an episode yet him being gone for a while feels like it might change things up a bit too much.

I'm guessing Jay goes back to his earth and sends Jessie back to reunite with Wally and her dad. We get a few episodes of Wally and Jessie dealing with villains of the week until a threat that they can't contend with appears and they concoct some plan to break Barry out of the speed force. 

• Like 1

One thing I would like to see next season is them split it off a bit into actual arcs like AoS did this season. It would do wonders in helping them focus and maybe making the cast look like morons half the time.

I really hate that they've turned the speed force into a sentient character.  Has that ever been part of the comics?  I kinda hate the speed force in the comics, mostly because at some point, they retconned Barry's origin to Barry going back in time and engineering the 'random accident' that gave him his powers.  Think they did the same with the original Wally West too, irrc.  I preferred the Flash's origin pre-speed force.

(It could be worse.   In the comics, Zoom's origin was recently retconned to account for him traveling hundreds of years in the past, then living those hundreds of years day by day - all so he could get some complicated revenge on the Flash.  Ugh.) 

I'm also not thrilled with the over-reliance on time travel plots.  Jesus, time travel is a fairly small part of Flash's powerset in the comics, but the tv series makes it seem like his primary ability.  That doesn't bother me, except I kinda feel like it's a band-aid for lazy plotting.  They've never really figured out how to present most meta-villains as a threat to Flash, so the solution is to go all in on wacky time travel plots. I'd be satisfied to see Grodd or Captain Cold or one of the non-future rogues be the big bad next season.

I didn't hate the season, but they handled Flashpoint kinda clumsily and generally made the tone of the show way too dark.

Yeah, I still don't rate Arrow that high. I think this season has been just as mixed as the two before it. I don't even think Legends is a good as others claim. I think its just easier to deal with its messiness because its been better placed within the DNA of the show and characters. It is probably the most fun. Honestly I think people underrate Supergirl. Plenty of flaws, but for me it was easily the best of DC/CW shows.

4 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I have a list of Supergirl complaints I cant get into right now, but if you can tell me what Kara's story ark was this year outside of a relationship with Mon-El that felt very OOC for her, I' might consider season 2 something other then a massive drop off from season 1.

I've read a couple reviews lately which mentioned that Kara was basically a love interest on her own show (this season).

I pretty much disliked every change made from last season to this with the exception of Alex coming out, which I felt they handled rather well.

As far as relationships go, I wasn't really sold on the Kara-Jimmy romance, but it didn't feel right for it to come to an immediate full-stop for... no particular reason.  Season one built up their attraction rather well, and it seemed really out of character for either of them to just drop out of the relationship so easily.  The writers didn't build up her romance with Mon-el anywhere near as well, imo.

I hate that I didn't like the character more because the comics version is one of my favorite Legion members.

I hate season ending cliffhangers, but that was easily the best finale Arrow has had since S2.

10 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I have a list of Supergirl complaints I cant get into right now, but if you can tell me what Kara's story ark was this year outside of a relationship with Mon-El that felt very OOC for her, I' might consider season 2 something other then a massive drop off from season 1.

Learning the difficulties of being a legitimate reporter and establishing the friendship with Lena. I don't disagree that they overdid the relationship with Mon-El. It just didn't ruin everything else for me.

It doesn't help that Lena and Kara have more romantic chemistry than Kara and Mon-El ever do tbh.

Supergirl season 2 had better single episodes than S1 and arguably delivered the most on a weekly basis of any DC CW show this year. That said, it struggled to use its cast in meaningful ways on a consistent basis and lacked a strong season arc to give it a sense of cohesion.

Also Mon-El really was just the worst and that romance plot was a burning trash fire.

• Like 1

You explained it better than I could have. I honestly don't need a big season arc. Its more about general character development and how strong the regular episodes are. I thought Supergirl was mixed on the former and strong on the latter. I think big season arcs have been a weakness for comic book shows. They focus way too much on one villain or one big mystery which usually can't carry the entire season.

27 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It doesn't help that Lena and Kara have more romantic chemistry than Kara and Mon-El ever do tbh.

To be fair the chemistry there was stronger than any actual romantic relationship from either season of the show.

I feel like there isn't enough talk about the Arrow finale still. I'm sure that cliffhanger ending won't stick come season 6, but I mean - fuuuuck. Talk about wiping everything clean and starting over, holy hell.

I really want Deathstroke to stick around, too.

• Like 1

Yeah. I didn't realize how much I missed that Slade/Ollie chemistry. And Slade trying to redeem himself to his friend is so good.

Unfortunately Manu Bennett is on another full time show and apparently this was a real challenge logistically to set up so he probably won't be back regularly. Still good to see him.

I really liked how all five seasons' villains were reflected somewhere. Merlyn and Slade both come back. Nyssa and Talia reflect the consequences of Ra's. Black Siren showcases the consequences of Dahrk (as the new Black Canary shows them moving forward). Just turns the whole thing into a great retrospective.

Also I love that Cast Away Ollie was wearing and wig and fake beard in the end because the timeline got too messy to make sense of it. Sort of hilarious but hey, they got there.

Some spoilery issues I had with the episode.

What a stupid, chumpy death. Like...it hit the character notes fine but given that we saw flashback Ollie get out of that in Season One it felt weird that Merlyn had no solution. Also I hate character deaths set up by stupid random chance. And hey, way to waste Captain Boomerang in the process. Just a scene that really bugged me even as the fallout was great.

Also Ollie continuing to not immobilize Chase drove me nuts by the end. There's like eight guys staring at him in the temple! Tie him up! Break his arms and legs! Do something to keep him from just fucking flash bang escaping! But hey, gotta move to the final showdown. It's fine...then Ollie does it AGAIN! First time I'm waiting for Chase to escape, second time for him to commit suicide. Seemed telegraphed even if it worked.

On that first spoiler

Spoiler

You actually think Malcolm is dead? They could easily bullshit both him and Boomerang surviving that. Its not liek thy actually showed either being blown up.

Spoiler

Yeah, no way they killed off everyone.  That's undone in the first 30 seconds of the Season premier.

Far as Malcolm, he was in the League, he used Boomerang as a shield before the mine went, still alive.  Probably proven in the first 30 minutes next episode.

Spoiler

I think I saw an article saying that John Barrowman wouldn't be appearing in the Arrowverse next year, but that could easily change if the writers come up with a plot for him.  I do think he's off the canvas for awhile.  I don't think Malcolm is dead.

Really dug the final.  Arrow was probably my favorite Berlanti show this season.  Only thing that didn't really work for me were the attempts to make the new kids interesting.  Not really enthused about any of them returning, other than Terrific.  

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think I saw an article saying that John Barrowman wouldn't be appearing in the Arrowverse next year, but that could easily change if the writers come up with a plot for him.  I do think he's off the canvas for awhile.  I don't think Malcolm is dead.

Really dug the final.  Arrow was probably my favorite Berlanti show this season.  Only thing that didn't really work for me were the attempts to make the new kids interesting.  Not really enthused about any of them returning, other than Terrific.  

Related to spoliers here:

Spoiler

I just saw a video on Facebook where John Barrowman said Merlyn "is no more" and that Barrowman won't be back next season.  He said he was "sad to be leaving the Arrowverse" and thanked the fans.  

Absolutely no way they off Diggle/Felicity/Speedy/Lance off camera like that. I can possibly see Wild Dog, Black Canary, William's ma and Curtis not making it though.  I can see Barrowman being gone for a season, but again, no way a staple character like that is gone so unceremoniously. Great finale, and the best of the Arrowverse shows this week.

• Like 1

Gotham is so wacky and over the top that I can't quite bring myself to drop it off the DVR, but evil Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon can stand behind Zach Snyder's "Property Damage Superman" in the line of Things I Don't Want to See.

I am amused that Morena Baccarin's character put on the black leather and bad girl makeup and started vamping it up - and somehow managed to be less gorgeous than usual.