DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I haven't seen last night yet, but to me, it's that the cold withers her emotional connections. She becomes cold-blooded, maybe even to the point of trying to avoid emotional ties. The problem is that she also becomes a one-dimensional character with no actual goals. It'd be a lot more interesting if she actively wanted anything (other than to not lose her power). Self-preservation alone doesn't really make for an interesting character (even Thawne in LOT s2 had more going for him than that). She exists only as a plot point for everyone else to be bossed around by the big bads, which is not very compelling.

Yes, it reminds me of Mr. Freeze during B:TAS where the powers clearly dulled his emotions on some level. They are still there, but not nearly as strong as they should be. As far as goals go they made it clear she has one, they just haven't told us what it is which is the weak point this far into the season.

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

So...

Hide contents

So Savitar is just a random Time Remnant?  Weak.

I don't mind it personally. It makes sense, particularly after Barry's little journey into the future.

7 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

So...

Reveal hidden contents

So Savitar is just a random Time Remnant?  Weak.

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm good with that.  I kinda like the "chicken or egg" idea behind it, and the alternative is a season of hand-wringing over Barry potentially turning into a big bad.  They seem like they're going to wrap this and the Legends "Don't trust him" dealie at season's end.  Hopefully, they don't go down the trite "Barry's friends can't trust him because he might turn evil" road.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I haven't seen last night yet, but to me, it's that the cold withers her emotional connections. She becomes cold-blooded, maybe even to the point of trying to avoid emotional ties. The problem is that she also becomes a one-dimensional character with no actual goals. It'd be a lot more interesting if she actively wanted anything (other than to not lose her power). Self-preservation alone doesn't really make for an interesting character (even Thawne in LOT s2 had more going for him than that). She exists only as a plot point for everyone else to be bossed around by the big bads, which is not very compelling.

I don't really buy the "I have cold powers, so I'm cold emotionally" theory, but it's something.  They could make it work.  Problem is, they haven't tried to explain - or even hint - why Caitlin turned evil.  They could make most any explanation work if they sold it well, so, of course, they just went with "Caitlin is evil because...."  Honestly, at this point, the likeliest explanation seems like it would be that Caitlin is a sociopath with some sort of disassociative personality disorder that hadn't manifested yet but was triggered by the stress of her powers emergence.  But I doubt they're going that route.

I don't really care how they explain it.  I just wish they'd try... something.  I'm not a big fan of the "I was a good person, but I just got powers, so now I'm evil" trope.  They kinda did that with the comics' version of Caitlin Snow, though she mostly killed people who deserved it and was mostly just kinda amoral about trying to cure herself by any means necessary.  Actually,. she had a surprising (and well-done) face turn in the comics recently, so I'm hoping the ape that in the TV-verse.

• Like 1

I miss when Iris had a job. Maybe the reason the byline in the future changed is because she hasn't been to work all year. 

I figured the Killer Frost personality was a manifestation of Caitlin's inability to take control of her miserable life. Her first major love interest was murdered in an orchestrated disaster, came back to life, and died again. Her mentor and friend was a time traveling maniac who killed a boy's mother, and orchestrated the disaster that killed her man. Her rebound guy turned out to be the big bad villain that was tormenting everyone's lives. Her mom is a mean bitch. I mean, if Caitlin had showed up at CC Jitters with an assault rifle and mowed down all the sheeple drinking their Zoom Espressos, it wouldn't take Dr. Phil to figure it out why.

This season hasn't been my favorite.

I feel like Flash has been dropping a bunch of filler episodes when it should be home stretch time. Like...last week's didn't have a whole lot of immediacy until the reveal and this week's was mostly a goofy bit comedy deal after the (awesome) episode opening throwdown. None of it's terrible but I feel like we should have been here like a month ago and now I'm super unsure how they resolve this in two episodes.

Also that time loop requires Barry to trap Savitar twice before now and I don't think they've realized it.

Even the episodes that technically move the main mystery forward have felt like filler this season. Like getting Wally out of the speed force, with Barry having to learn some kind of vague lesson about being responsible. I imagine this next episode will be similar, with them having to find a power source.

I can't remember who said it earlier in the thread, but they just have too many episodes per season so they are forced to drag things out. If they're going to have this many episodes per season than they need to have more than one story arch. It's the same deal with Arrow, though I feel their season has been more evenly paced and less drawn out. 

Speaking of Arrow 

Spoiler

How much of a letdown was that confrontation between Ollie & Prometheus last night? At least Ollie finally put the hood back on and I know that this isn't the end, especially since we know Chase found Ollie's son, but still. Ugh.

Ollie: Your Daddy didn't love you.

Chase: I am now sad, you win.

Team Arrow: YAY, DRINKS ALL AROUND!

I thought Team Flash had the Berlanti-verse market on stupidity covered.

• Like 3

Did Cat come back to admit she lost her mind when she turned her media empire over to a photojournalist with no management experience?

I'm kinda interested in her return, but.... really disinterested in the show this season.  I quit watching 5 or six eps back (when Kara got fired from the Daily Planet) and hate most of the changes they made this season.  Especially Mon-el.  Yeah, Mon-el.  I dislike Mon-el even more than the idea of Winn becoming the DEO's IT guy and learning how to use alien tech overnight.  And don't get me started on the Jimmy/Winn/Guardian thing,  They'll really struggling to give Mehcad Brooks and Jeremy Jordan anything to do.

Any reason to catch up?  If I disliked the back end of the season, am I likely to dislike the closing stretch?  I gather Mon-el's.... mom is the big bad, which makes me think they didn't do much long-term planning.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I fucking loved that Supergirl cliff hanger. It was so much fun. And I'm predicting Lex shows up next season premiere to help the resistance and it's gonna be fucking dope.

I don't think there will be a resistance next season. I'm pretty confident they wrap up the invasion next week and then hit is with a last second tease for next year.

I saw a theory on that over in BC where a poster mentioned

Spoiler

HR replacing Iris with himself when Savitar fought Barry for that short period.

I think that theory will be prove to be true with how they built things up.

Yeah, that's what I think.

Spoiler

Not to mention you can kill off HR and bring back Tom Cavanagh as a different version of Harry.  They got good use out of HR as the season went on. but he still annoyed me more than the previous two incarnations.  Did dig that HR was the only happy one out of the bunch one year later.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I saw a theory on that over in BC where a poster mentioned

Reveal hidden contents

HR replacing Iris with himself when Savitar fought Barry for that short period.

I think that theory will be prove to be true with how they built things up.

Spoiler

With that image inducer Barry used to get the Dominator tech, it's damn near academic that HR switched places with Iris while Savitar was fucking around with Barry.

8 hours ago, APO said:
  Reveal hidden contents

With that image inducer Barry used to get the Dominator tech, it's damn near academic that HR switched places with Iris while Savitar was fucking around with Barry.

I can see HR subbing himself into it to feel like he did something heroic.  I know he's supposed to be annoying and everything, but I'll be bummed if he goes.  Yes, there will likely be another Wells, but this version was a fun character who stuck out in a land of the hurt and angry.  That and I'm really digging his budding relationship with Pam (I think that's her name, I'm blanking on that) so that would suck to see that end so quickly.

I loved the last chunk of The Flash. It was Game of Thrones levels of "everything is going so well...."

Thought it was weird that Draco Malfoy wasn't involved at all though. And I'm wondering if they'll actually go through with removing Ramon's hands. They should sense no one has actually done anything to alter that event. Anyone think it was weird that Barry, who I thought knew what happened in that fight, told Cisco to go but didn't warn him about her freezing his fucking hands off?