DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Man. Invasion is bananas. The kind of superhero TV I've always wanted but never dared to hope for in live action.

Also just caught up on Supergirl before this but my god was the way they presented the Cyborg Superman underwhelming. The early bait and switch was fine but him just being like "I'm Cyborg Superman" like twice was SO LAME. Especially since they could have had him/Mama Luthor talk up the idea that earth looks up to aliens and Hank can be the Superman they need...then have Cyborg Superman become the DEO designation as CADMUS/Hank just refer to him as Superman. Wouldn't have taken much time, felt more natural, built the characters, and been less cringey.

Really loving Alex's story though and the rest has all been fun so it's a small but painful quibble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Also just caught up on Supergirl before this but my god was the way they presented the Cyborg Superman underwhelming.

To be fair, it's not far from the level of underwhelmingness of the comic Cyborg Superman.

• Like 1

How the hell did Arrow manage to be more epic than Flash?! Arrow was also the equivalent of a boss rush.

And just when you thought Sarah wasn't enough of a badass, we learn that she practices Jeet Kune Do.

No, seriously, I can't get past how freakin epic Arrow was. And who else would be the one who breaks out of the Matrix but the Batman equivalent.

• Like 1

I do like that the crossover shows so far have still focused mainly on the characters from the respective shows.  Supergirl seems sadly wasted so far though in both shows.  I like the idea of Heat Wave apparently saying "fuck this" off camera and staying hidden.

On 11/30/2016 at 8:45 AM, Matt D said:

The Supergirl episode was bullshit though. Total bait and switch. It was funny to look at twitter afterwards to see how many people were pissed off by it.

I was surprised how many people were angry, since I'd seen like 3 different interviews with Berlanti where he said "it's a 3-part crossover, Barry shows up at the end of Supergirl to bring her into the story."  I don't expect EVERYONE to see that sort of shit, but I would think the people most likely to freak out on Twitter would have had a chance to learn in advance.

I think that part of it was that it was right after Thanksgiving so people might not have been as tuned into this stuff as usual? I know I was travelling and not looking at the comics news sites as much. There's also a lot of more distracting real news these days.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I think that part of it was that it was right after Thanksgiving so people might not have been as tuned into this stuff as usual? I know I was travelling and not looking at the comics news sites as much. There's also a lot of more distracting real news these days.

It certainly didn't help that every commercial for the whole deal was all "EPIC 4 PART CROSSOVER", but that said, what an amazing crossover it was. It was so much fun.

• Like 2

As I said before blame CW's bs marketing.

Anyways I thought the crossover ended well. This was damn fun on the whole, and I liked how it managed to not interrupt to much of the stories running for the shows regularly at least as far as character stuff goes. Its also nice that the ending leaves things open for more crossovers. If we get a DEO on Earth-1 we better get Mr. Bones. I'm still disappointed he hasn't shown up in Supergirl.

The one thing that I love most about this big crossover is that it came off so much like diverse comic series converging, not just TV shows but honest to goodness comic series. I could really get used to the big crossovers being an annual thing. (They could also be used to launch new characters too, with more viewers and all.)

The line of the night for Legends went to Ray Palmer: "You know what's funny? She really kinda looks like my cousin."

And another fantastic adaptation of the comic costume:

Spoiler

TCTaB4q.jpg

• Like 1

I loved crossover week so damn much.  I don't people who expected all four shows to converge from Supergirl on.  You have to have a setup, then work on getting everybody on board.  It was nice to see that each episode was still in the style of their respective shows.  I'm still not fond of Arrow.  I like some of the characters, but even in the sampling we got this week it's too much melodrama for my liking.  I'll stick with the other three, thanks.  But the ending confrontation was some top quality stuff that I loved.

The CW probably loved the crossover week too, every show hit ratings high and Arrow in particular had a 120% increase (which sounds insane but weren't their ratings falling to begin with?). I'm perfectly fine with more crossovers - I'm still waiting for Crisis.

Wasn't there talk of putting another show on Friday? I can't remember what it was, but it intrigued me that The CW would have a show for every day of the week, but then the news came out that Legends was moving to Tuesdays after The Flash.

I was over Cisco's shit when it dawned on me that Barry has watched his mother die THREE FUCKING TIMES NOW. Imagine how he feels right now.

I loved the whole week of shows, and everyone has really good chemistry. The "she looks like my cousin" line had me laughing my ass off.  The crossover prompted me to hop on youtube and watch all the times Flash and Arrow interacted, even in small moments.  I ALWAYS mark out for that stuff, like Flash helping team Arrow escape the League, or Ollie helping to fight Reverse Flash, or Barry just showing up to help fight Boomerang.  Gustin and Amell have awesome chemistry.

After it all, my only real gripe is that they could have won the fight without Supergirl. She was just there as a plot device to integrate her with the rest of the universe.  Lots of cool little introspective moments in the shows that kinda hit you in the nostalgia bone if you've been watching all of them from the start. Everyone got screen time, even low level characters. Can't wait for the next one!

Yeah, the on

9 hours ago, RandomAct said:

After it all, my only real gripe is that they could have won the fight without Supergirl. She was just there as a plot device to integrate her with the rest of the universe.  Lots of cool little introspective moments in the shows that kinda hit you in the nostalgia bone if you've been watching all of them from the start.

It's so damn similar to the comics too, the part where the Kryptonian is sent to handle the macro stuff while the rest of the team have to deal with the nitty gritty immediate threats.

Arrow is hands-down the winner for the most emotional episode of the crossovers, and he had a glorified boss rush to boot! I think it handled the "For the Man Who Has Everything" story better than Supergirl (helped that it mined from a lot of great pathos from previous seasons).

I had the most stressful month at work since I started the job I do now last month. With an amazingly stressful last week. What got me through it was the new Gilmore Girls and Invasion. Every little detail in Invasion ruled. 

Oh, the Legends fix aberrations in time, so they CAN yell at Barry.

On 12/2/2016 at 0:46 PM, Casey said:

Wasn't there talk of putting another show on Friday? I can't remember what it was, but it intrigued me that The CW would have a show for every day of the week, but then the news came out that Legends was moving to Tuesdays after The Flash.

There were rumors that the CW was looking at picking up Constantine, and running it together with Supernatural for a Friday double hit, but I think they were just fan wishful thinking with no substance.

I was ready to come here and say something inappropriate about Iris trimming the tree in that green dress, but then she climbed on Barry's lap in that Red Velvet dress. 

Spoiler

If Iris does die, dat ass in that dress is how I'm going to remember her.

• Like 2