DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Guggenheim just debunked that rumor almost exactly a month ago, saying most of the current cast will stay on for S2, and maybe Huntress will join. A "beloved" hero from the DC canon will be introduced too. Someone is going to die in the season finale, though. Which reminds me - fuck Hawkgirl. She's always been annoying as fuck, but the last episode reaffirmed her as inept and pretty useless.

It's a shame too because I like Ciara Renee but some of the material...ooft. in general the whole cast is great so it's frustrating when some of them get bogged down by bad/tropey writing. 

Also I hated the way they dragged shit out. Like. It's Hawkman. Just kill him and the next one will be fine. Jesus.

• Like 1

Arrow had some positives this week, but man...poor Paul Blackthorne.  He was left out to sea here.  When you defang death by not having it stick half a dozen times like this show has, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to try to prove you really mean it this time, and Blackthorne caught the brunt of it.  Poor guy just got booked to be the biggest dope, all night long.

And I don't even know how you play Lance's situation, as an actor.  Your a father with two daughters!  One of them died! But then you found out she wasn't dead!  Then she for real died!  But then she came back again!  Now your other daughter is dead!  That is so far removed from reality, I don't think there's an honest way you can play that.  And you could tell Blackthorne hadn't figured one out either, so he was just like GO BIG.

14 hours ago, Casey said:

It's also pretty funny that DC got to use their version of Giant Man, on TV, before Marvel ever got to do a Giant Man, on film. 

Spoiler

Depends where you live, mate. That episode of Legends hasn't aired in the UK yet, and Civil War is out already.

I'm wondering if Henry saying "Garrick?  That was my mother's maiden name" means what I think it means, but I have no idea how that's gonna work.

Henry's surname is Allen ,not Garrick.  And I expect he would have mentioned it if it his middle name was "Jay".

I figure the comment means something.  Earth 2 Barry's maternal great-grandfather, maybe?  Or great-great grandfather,

Comic book Jay Garrick was a WW2 vet (not new 52 Jay, obviously).  So... born somewhere around 1900-1920.  If they want to keep that bit intact, one of Barry's ancestors could be Jay.  I'm guessing great-grandfather, maybe with the middle name Jay instead of first name.  Henry and Barry would probably know if Barry's grandfather was named Jay (first or middle name). 

23 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Jay is Earth 2 Henry?

Theory: The man in the iron mask is Jay Garrick who is Hunter Zolomon's twin. Jay was taken in by family, Hunter was not and ultimately was adopted by the Zolomons. Hunter, Jay, and Barry are cousins.

DC on the CW had a really good week of television this week, damn. Flash was REALLY good and emotional with a nice cliffhanger, Arrow was just really damn good I thought and the Thea subplot that lead into the masterplan of Darhk was pretty brilliant, and LoT had a nice swerve too. All of these shows have pretty badass villains at the moment, I kind of don't want to see any of them go the way of their counterparts from previous seasons. Flash, Arrow's team & LoT crew versus Zoom, Dahrk and Savage would be amazing, but that's a pipedream at best.

My only complaint, is about LoT, and continues to be the existence of Hawkgirl and Hawkman. Get them the fuck off my TV, immediately. I literally laughed out loud when Carter suddenly remembered his past, then was promptly stabbed by Savage. I thought it was a fatal wound, until Rip had to spoil it with his "good" news. Damnit.

(Martin Donovan always plays the good guy that's actually a bad guy, apparently.)

That was a pretty well-done episode.  I loved especially the scenes with Barry trying to chase what he was chasing and having to deal with his past.  It brought the unexpected heaviness, but it paid off pretty well.  The next two weeks are going to be pretty fun.