DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I dunno, I'm not a physicist. (Although it turns out that infinite heat, aka "absolute hot", is a real theory; but it's a deeply speculative one.) I would guess that at absolute zero, the uncertainty principle would be changed or completely thrown out, since the entire thing is based upon the assumption that the particles are moving. Of course, the real problem is GETTING to absolute zero in the first place; from my limited understanding, it's turning out to be one of those "between two points, move halfway to the end, then half of the remaining distance, and then half of THAT remaining distance, and continue infinitely in this fashion" sort of problems.

The basic point comes back to the fact that Heat Wave and Captain Cold's guns are stupid from the jump because a gun that could fire 'absolute zero' wouldn't register as cold in any way that we'd recognize. Same as how a gun firing at Plack temp wouldn't register as heat in any familiar way. So since I'm already overlooking that nonsense, I'm more inclined to forgive shit like the laser thing.

It's two guns that shoot ice and fire. I'm not even going to try and overthink this shit, it's a TV show.

Last night's Arrow made me giddy because I love Caity Lotz, and more John Barrowman as Ra's al Ghul is always fun.

I actually really love the core concept of Cold's gun as something that leaches the heat out of the atmosphere and objects in its path by slowing motion at the molecular level. That's awesome Silver Age science and I can never call it dumb. Attaching the phrase "absolute zero" is the only real problem I have. (Somewhere around here I have the STAR Labs Tech Manual from the 90s DCU role playing game, and I spent hours re-reading the Rogues' gear schematics and writeups.)

• Like 1

killerfrost.jpg

Caitlin becoming Killer Frost confirmed for S2.

Is this a new pic or a pic from the short blink and miss it scene showed during the S1's finale? Either way this was kind of expected.

Probably Earth-2 Caitlin

I'd be a little surprised if they went that route.

killerfrost.jpg

Caitlin becoming Killer Frost confirmed for S2.

Is this a new pic or a pic from the short blink and miss it scene showed during the S1's finale? Either way this was kind of expected.

New pic. She was on a morning chatter show and they threw in that shot, and she talked about how it was a lot of work for them to get the look right, but she was looking forward to doing it again this year.

Finally caught up on the DC shows.  Arrow was a lot of fun.  The cold gun/lasers thing was the least of my issues with Flash.  Flash isn't doing the character stuff well so far this season.  I think I like the idea of Joe's "dead" wife even less than Barry's dad leaving town.  You could maybe sell me on the idea Joe would ignore the trauma losing his parents under unexplained circumstances did to Barry and do the same thing to Iris.  Hotshotting the angle and scripting it in as dull a manner possible was not the way to go.

And if that scene between Joe and Iris is the sum total of her reaction, wow....  Iris barely reacting to the news was silly.  Iris not asking any of the questions a real person would ask ("Where is Mom now?") was worse.  And her pat "It's ok, dad.  You know what you're doing" was equally awful.  Just bad writing from start to finish.

Is there an address where I can send money to the CW to make them stop with the Team Arrow vs. Team Flash Guitar Hero stuff?

I watched the Flash episode, and I'm thinking, "Why are we debating the pseudo-scientific ray gun when the most glaringly unrealistic thing was the ultra-high-tech security console that apparently doesn't have a lockout mechanism for multiple failed password attempts?"

But, yeah, the stuff with Iris' mom was dreadful.

• Like 2

The pilot (which airs tonight) has the usual pilot issues, but they seem to have worked out most of the kinks in the next few episodes.

The WORST part of the pilot is the spot they keep using in the promos, along with the constantly referencing Superman, but never actually SAYING Superman, instead using "He" or "him." It's really awkward and annoying.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Felicity and Ray, and the occasional Flash crossover, I'm not sure I'd keep watching. Season 3 was nowhere near season 2 unless the homestretch is absolutely amazing. But Felicity is becoming an all time favorite TV character, and Routh is really great as Tony Stark Ray Palmer.

Season 3 never seemed all that sharp to me.  I was prepared to check out but S4 has been fun so far.  If you didn't enjoy the front half of S3 though, I don't know that you'll find the back half much better.

I'm definitely not on Team Felicity.