DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I was astonished by Gotham this week.  Did I really see Alfred punch Selina?  I didn't rewatch the scene, but I'm wondering if that was actually a slap or he whiffed or something.  Regardless of if it was a punch or a slap, I'm amazed that scene made air.

Gotham is mostly boring me this season.  I didn't love the first season, but mostly enjoyed it and thought the problems were fixable.  This season isn't doing much for me.  I miss the gang war stuff and Fish.  Say what you will about the character and JPS, but at least they were interesting.  The new baddie - evil millionaire - isn't doing much for me.

Honestly, the only element of the show that I feel is better than last season is Erin Richards,  No idea how they're going to get from lunatic murderer Barbara to Mrs. James Gordon, with a baby named after her.  I guess they're not going to go there.

I've got a lull between jobs coming up, so I think I might watch ARROW.  It struck me that it really IS a Batman show (and making its way to an ideal Batman show at that) so I shouldn't let the batfans dissuade me from watching it and pretending that Ollie is Dick, and Felicity, Babs

I was astonished by Gotham this week.  Did I really see Alfred punch Selina?  I didn't rewatch the scene, but I'm wondering if that was actually a slap or he whiffed or something.  Regardless of if it was a punch or a slap, I'm amazed that scene made air.

Gotham is mostly boring me this season.  I didn't love the first season, but mostly enjoyed it and thought the problems were fixable.  This season isn't doing much for me.  I miss the gang war stuff and Fish.  Say what you will about the character and JPS, but at least they were interesting.  The new baddie - evil millionaire - isn't doing much for me.

Honestly, the only element of the show that I feel is better than last season is Erin Richards,  No idea how they're going to get from lunatic murderer Barbara to Mrs. James Gordon, with a baby named after her.  I guess they're not going to go there.

This show makes no sense whatsoever.

The scene introducing Barnes is one of the goofiest things ever. Who would stand around so this guy can saunter into the room and do a 5 minute monologue? Moreover, how good is James Gordon really if he can't figure that a bunch of people in the GCPD are corrupt? If he did know, why did he never say anything? Do these people know he saved and did favors for Cobblepot? Also, does GCPD have an internal affairs department? Wait, did Captain Barnes just fire everyone in internal affairs? Did Barnes get these magical files about their corruption from their imaginary IA?

Also, apparently if you did get caught breaking the law and conducting activities that are felony offenses, the worst that can happen is you lose your job. Barnes didn't have any followup. Nothing on any further investigation. Just fired them.

Another thing that bothered me was Galavan's whole thing about killing other candidates and then making it seem like there are attempts on his life as well. He gives this big speech and then a gunman arrives, spraying bullets. He gets back up and starts his speech back again like nothing happened. Wait dude...you don't want to check to see if anyone in the crowd just got laced with lead first? Wouldn't that be a better strategy to win over people in Gotham than being Mr. Bravery?

Alfred slapping Selina/Cat/whatever her name is now is...yeah.

We're also suppose to believe that Galavan and his crew can snatch up Cobblepot's mom just like that. They can't decide if Cobblepot is the city's major crime figure or just the same geek when he was with Fish Mooney. So even though last season's primary villains weren't that good, season two has destroyed that entire hierarchy. Why should we give a shit that Barnes is going after the Penguin? Because Gordon might lose his job when it comes out Gordon is connected to him? Shit, Gordon already got his job back once. He'll just get it back again when they hire someone else after they bump off Barnes.

Well, that's the problem with a prequel series, there's no sense of danger to a lot of characters because we know they have to live long enough for Bruce to be Batman. So they need to either introduce new characters, convince us to care about them, and then have them be imperilled... or do something decisive to make it clear that this is an alternate universe and we don't all know exactly what it's going to eventuate to.

So basically, they should have Penguin kill Bruce Wayne this season.

• Like 3

They tried introducing non-Joker Joker.....only to kill him off for the sake of moving Galavan's plot forward. Except it didn't really help at all and made this situation even more confusing.

"The crazy guy I helped break out of an insane asylum....went crazy. So let me kill him because he went off-script."

Wouldn't it make more sense to just trick Penguin and have him arrested to save him all this trouble? He kidnapped his mom he loves so much that easy that luring him into a setup should not be that hard. How the fuck is this dude a billionaire?

I would bet that whenever they get around to doing Killer Frost, they'll handle it more like a Dark Willow type of story, where there's the possibility for redemption and returning her to the fold afterwards.

At this point, I'm expecting that glimpse of Killer Frost to be the Earth-2 Snow.

Eh. It's one of those bizarre things...if we're meant to assume the cold gun fires at 'Absolute Zero' which...no. That's not how absolute zero works. (Heat Wave's weapon is likewise ridiculous because the opposite of absolute zero is almost certainly a near identical effect to absolute zero but that's a whole other thing)

Anyway, since Absolute Zero is the point at which all molecular motion stops, the light thing isn't that ridiculous. The ridiculous part is the arbitrary timeline and literally ever using the words 'Absolute Zero' to describe the effects of a cold gun goddammit Geoff Johns.

Is "the opposite of absolute zero" even physically possible? That would, in theory, be infinite heat, which would mean that the molecules are vibrating so fast that their particles would exist in all places at all times, making quantum physics break down... just doesn't seem possible. While, theoretically, absolute zero could happen if you could figure out a way to efficiently drain 100% of an object's heat.

Is "the opposite of absolute zero" even physically possible? That would, in theory, be infinite heat, which would mean that the molecules are vibrating so fast that their particles would exist in all places at all times, making quantum physics break down... just doesn't seem possible. While, theoretically, absolute zero could happen if you could figure out a way to efficiently drain 100% of an object's heat.

See I would have said something like, "wouldn't everything just catch on fire before you got there?"  But somebody had to go and explain theoretical quantum physics. 

Don't you have the same problem with absolute zero as well? According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle if you know the exact momentum of a molecule / atom / ... (which you would since absolute zero would indicate a momentum of zero) the location of the particle could by anywhere (or in mathematical terms delta x = inf since delta p = 0 and delta p * delta x >= h/2; though of course inf * 0 could be anything).

• Like 1