DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I enjoyed Gotham again tonight. This show really has gone in a much darker, sicker direction and unless they swerve us, I really like the idea of Jerome being dead and not being the Joker. Alfred's weird obsession with Gordon's girlfriend was odd but whatever. I do think we need more Penguin though. He has been on the sidelines early on and I like it when he stirs shit up. 

I thought the handling of last season's finale was done well. Edge as the Atom Smasher was something. I actually liked the cartoony plastic look of super Smasher. Edge looks eerily similar to Biff from Back to the Future. It was so strange. I am really looking forward to this season. 

Well, I don't know if the FLASH premiere could've been much duller without trying really hard.

I guess Berlanti has moved on to his next new shiny toy.

I don't know what you were expecting. They tied up the loose ends with the Black Hole thing. They had a big old mean Edge villain wreak some havoc. They play catch up with the friends of Flash. Flash frees daddy from prison. I'm happy. 

• Like 1

I thought it was a mess. Too much going on, and a lot of it...not good. Especially everything with Edge. The whole thing just washed over me.

And Barry's dad is a total deadbeat! Joe should've had an Uncle Phil moment with him.

I enjoyed Gotham again tonight. This show really has gone in a much darker, sicker direction and unless they swerve us, I really like the idea of Jerome being dead and not being the Joker. Alfred's weird obsession with Gordon's girlfriend was odd but whatever. I do think we need more Penguin though. He has been on the sidelines early on and I like it when he stirs shit up. 

I knew I shouldn't have entered this thread before watching today. I'm enjoying this season a lot more too, I basically had to slog my way through the last.

Was surprise they offed Jerome so early. Didn't think he'd actually end up as the Joker, but figured they'd play it out for more of the season. Galavan isn't really grabbing me as a villain, I enjoyed the over the topness of Jerome's character. Evil business guy does nothing for me, especially after a season where the main antagonists were mobsters. I'd have rather they kept Maroni alive and make the Maniax his deal with the devil to gain revenge on Gordon and Penguin. Kinda hope that's the last time they tease the Joker though, but we'll see.

Alfred getting his mack on cracked me up. So out of left field, but good on you man.

I am half expecting Ronnie to be the cavalry at the end of Legends of Tomorrow. We need a reason for Stein to be working solo for LoT, we need a reason for Caitlin to be vulnerable and not run off to wherever they were going at the end of S1, but we need to be able to bring Ron back. This is a pretty perfect way to do that. Still pretty gut-wrenching, though.

Man, that opening sequence was pretty perfect

with Barry's fantasy ending, taking out CC and HW effortlessly and Eddie and Ronnie being okay, and then we find out what really happened.

I was not expecting to get a plain start and then backtrack to the cliffhanger resolution, but after they did it I was very glad they had.

So they spend the season trying to get Barry's dad out of jail, he finally is able to and the dad just leaves anyway?  No scenes of him hanging around seeing how things are?  They couldn't wait another episode or two before that?  Very, very strange.  In reality Barry should have been really pissed off about that, but instead is cool with it.

That said, didn't expect Atom Smasher in the season opener, so was happy to see Edge do this.

Yeah, the shit with Barry's dad was horrible. Like I said, any dude who would get out of prison and then immediately bail, not just on his son, but on the son who worked tirelessly to get him out of prison in the first place, is a deadbeat piece of shit.

Every kid who's ever had a deadbeat dad of their own has likely heard a similar bullshit reason as the one Barry's dad used. IT'S BETTER THIS WAY!

I'm really hoping the stuff with Barry's dad is part of some sort of supervillain blackmail plot.  Otherwise, yeesh.  Henry finally getting out of prison and immediately leaving the son who has worked for decades to get him out of prison is terrible and completely out of character based on everything we've seen so far.  Hopefully Zoom threatened Barry's life or replaced the real Hank with a doppleganger or something.  I'll probably hate both those ideas if they go that way, but it'd be less character-destroying than Henry simply walking out on Barry.

Not really sure I buy Wells posthumously recording a confession either.  Not entirely our of character but a little far-fetched.  His speech to Barry on the video basically contradicted what he said last year (doesn't he hate Barry?), so... evil plan?

Joe and Barry just shrugging about Henry leaving town was... again... really out of character.  Yeah, that party scene was terrible. 

Rest of the episode was average.  I really liked the speech Joe gave Barry after Atom Smasher beat on him, but that was about it.  I wasn't that thrilled about the singularity cliffhanger but I still thought wrapping it up in a three minute flashback was anti-climatic.  I really like the Atom Smasher character in the comics so I was kinda disappointed how they handled him here.  There was too much else going on to give him even a shred of character development.  And the special FX weren't great.  It was a little too obvious giant AS was a normal-sized guy tearing up a tiny set.  I actually laughed when they locked AS in the reactor.  Something about the way Copeland was thrashing around to sell the radiation overload struck me as goofy.

Whoever said there was too much going on in this episode had it right.  No focus.  They tried to do too many things to do any of them well.

Still have high hopes for the season, but we'll see.

• Like 1

One of the subplots last season was that Thawne had kind of legitimately fallen into his role as Wells and saw Barry and Cisco as the sons he never had. He ended up conflicted about hurting them but used the 'history' logic and/or his temper as a shortcut to doing so. Remember he was ANGRY that Barry didn't retcon his crime. Partly because he wanted to feel that he and Barry were alike but Barry chose not to break time for his benefit. Partly because it was the one murder Thawne ended up guilty about. Thus him recording a confession if his plan failed sort of fits.

I was way more pissed they used Atom Smasher in such a lame duck villain role and killed him off. Moreover they had Barry pretty much stone cold murder him when the only person he'd hurt was an alternate reality version of himself (why? Because kill your double I guess?)

Arrow season starter was also really good. Ollie casually shrugging off magic's existence was simultaneously a hilarious handwave that undercut the introduction of it to the universe and a refreshing turn from the hand flailing denial phase that these things usually go through. Dahrk is already maybe the best big villain yet. And I'm so pumped that we can finally call him Green Arrow.

Seriously though. Next season should just start with Ollie thinking back to what happened five years ago and being ready for it to come back.

Also they completely missed the boat for Slade and/or Maseo training montages and left Ollie as still mostly a putz in year four. They now have less than two years to make him the ninja badass we've seen credibly.

Also also Ollie returning using the same motif in basically the same costume, adding a colour to gis name and pretending to be a different person inspired by himself is a fucking hilariously brash move. Especially since there's no way a significant amount of people wouldn't assume Roy was a patsy.

Oh and Felicity is definitely dead. Both because Ollie will be motivated to be a better man in basically the same ending as S2 with Slade and so that he can stay Green Arrow and eventually get to banging Laurel as Black Canary because comics. Which, neither one is who they are in the comics so why bother but they've said in the past that's the endpoint.

It's hilarious that they're teasing a big death like four episodes before resurrecting someone from being buried in the dirt dead for over a year. They're gonna have to work hard to sell a reason Merlyn isn't digging up Tommy and Moira for a hot tub in Nanda Parbat.

I'm really hoping the stuff with Barry's dad is part of some sort of supervillain blackmail plot.  Otherwise, yeesh.  Henry finally getting out of prison and immediately leaving the son who has worked for decades to get him out of prison is terrible and completely out of character based on everything we've seen so far.  Hopefully Zoom threatened Barry's life or replaced the real Hank with a doppleganger or something.  I'll probably hate both those ideas if they go that way, but it'd be less character-destroying than Henry simply walking out on Barry.

Not really sure I buy Wells posthumously recording a confession either.  Not entirely our of character but a little far-fetched.  His speech to Barry on the video basically contradicted what he said last year (doesn't he hate Barry?), so... evil plan?

There is absolutely another shoe waiting to drop on this thing with Barry's dad. It made Barry seem super naive to just take his greatest adversary at face value.

It almost beggars belief that at least one of the 8 people in his entourage now didn't raise an eyebrow at it, either. But then, I don't know where you fit that scene into the hundred other things that were going on.