DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I tapped out on Gotham last season after about the 13th or 14th episode. Basically when Fish should have died but didn't. I have no interest in this season's "HEY LOOK AT ALL THE VILLAINS!!!" either. Can't wait for Flash and Arrow though. Flash was awesome last year, and I'm really hoping Arrow gets back to form (last season was a disappointment for me).

Start dates for the DC shows BTW:

Flash 10/6

Arrow 10/7

Supergirl 10/26

Lucifer late 2015

Legends of Tomorrow early 2016

I'd argue iZombie doesn't even count as an adaptation. They changed EVERYTHING about that series, altering every single detail of the main character's life, even her name. As a fan of the comic, I turned it on with high hopes; but five minutes later, turned it off in utter disgust. It's less faithful to the source comics than Frank Miller's execrable The Spirit movie.

EVA wrote in the Marvel TV thread:

GOTHAM has a way better cast, too. No matter how bad the story around him is, Robin Lord Taylor is a treat each and every week as Penguin (I swear, at one point last season, it must have become a game in the writer's room to come up with dumb situations to put him in, and he crushed it every time).

I'll disagree here.  Lord Taylor has quickly become a leading "dealbreaker actor" for me in that I'll actively avoid anything he's in. 

For me, what caused me to give up on Gotham completely was the episode where they break Falcone out of the hospital and Lord Taylor is handcuffed to a wall and screaming to let Gordon let him kill Falcone.  I was praying that Gordon was going to scream "SHUT UP!!" and empty his gun into Penguin and the next day on twitter the producers would be all "hey, guess what, this is an alternate universe.  Not everyone is going to make it to when Bruce becomes Batman."  

Just awful, over the top hammy acting, and I hate hammy acting. Obviously there are people on here who like it, but it's not for me.

And then after the commercial break, Jada Pinkett Smith and the girl who plays Selina Kyle both show up with hair like Sheila E. from the 1980s and that's when I gave up on the show completely and flipped the channel.

If they wanna dial down the campiness, turn it more into "Law & Order/NCIS meets Super Villains" I might come back, 

The campiness is the only thing that keeps me watching honestly. I liked Jada a lot but thought the whole Dollmaker arc was terrible. Her return would have been way cooler out of nowhere and with more than an episode to play out. The pacing was all over the place because they planned for 16 and got 22. Still a fun ride.

That said, I'm so upset the internet seems to be into 'Jerome' causing them to go back to him this season. The Joker as a circus kid with mommy issues? Horrible.

I enjoyed Fish but I'm not sure Jada Pinkett Smith knew what show she was supposed to be in.  Most of the show could fit into a grim 'n gritty Miller story.  JPS played Fish like she was cast opposite Adam West.

"I want to go Eartha...but not full Eartha"

Then, she went full Eartha.

Honestly the way Jada played Fish was more or less the only character who felt like she'd fit in the Batman universe. She was menacing and noir in ways but also vamped it up. In a show full of grimacing, too serious characters she was the one who popped the most. If anything she's very comics Bat-villain which sort of demonstrates the problem with them trying to bounce between Nolan-lite noir stuff and actual comic book esque lunacy.

I simultaneously understand it ("Well, we couldn't get the DVD/BR ready for release before September, and we can't undercut those sales with an earlier Netflix release!") and think it's insane (notably, Agents of SHIELD had season 2 up on Netflix in June).

I'm still bitter that Flash S1 came out two weeks after Dragon Con because as awesome as it was to get JWS to sign my 1990 Flash box set, I would've been happier to get him, Danielle and Candace (all of whom were there) to sign the new series.

(JWS is hilarious and awesome in person, for what it's worth. And while I'll always be a Wally guy, I was impressed to hear him talk about reading Rebirth and knowing he wanted to play Henry before he was asked.)

• Like 1

Just watched the second season premiere of Gotham. Perhaps I forgot something from last season, but why did Gordon have to go through all that to get Loeb fired or even why did he lose his job in the first place? What happened to his blackmailing him last year about his daughter?

Also, it's going to get real awkward around the Gordon house when he demands to name his future daughter Barbara.

Zsasz continues to be great, the few times he's shown up.

Also, it's going to get real awkward around the Gordon house when he demands to name his future daughter Barbara.

Then it's a good thing they can go the niece/adopted daughter route if they want.

.......or Barbara drugs Gordon, has sex with him, names the subsequent baby after herself, dies from circumstances and Gordon takes in the baby. Yeah.

That's my guess, anyway.

• Like 1

Then it's a good thing they can go the niece/adopted daughter route if they want.

.......or Barbara drugs Gordon, has sex with him, names the subsequent baby after herself, dies from circumstances and Gordon takes in the baby. Yeah.

That's my guess, anyway.

Morena Baccarin is the perfect casting for Gordon's girlfriend, because crazy Barbara is way more attractive to me than regular mopey ass Barbara from last season.  Morena Baccarin is still Morena Baccarin, so I can see how he stays faithful.  Barbara in all her crazy glory is getting the job done though.