DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 12/4/2016 at 11:05 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

There were rumors that the CW was looking at picking up Constantine, and running it together with Supernatural for a Friday double hit, but I think they were just fan wishful thinking with no substance.

I'm still crossing my fingers they find a way to put Constantine on season 3 of LoT if it happens; someone like and/or Jonah Hex would really shake up the team

What's the deal with Arthur Darvill sitting out the first half of the season on LoT?  Did they write him out to give him time to shoot a movie or other project?  Or is Rip essentially going to be downgraded to recurring character on the show.

Thanks.  I had no idea a third season of Broadchurch was even ordered (the closing of S2 indicated Broadchurch would return, but i'd forgotten about that).

Good.  I'm enjoying LoT S2, but with Snart gone and Rip Hunter mia, the show's a little short on characters I like (Sara and Mick basically, though I don't think I'd want to see Mick babyface'd to the point where he was carrying the show).

I really thought I'd dig Firestorm on the show, but their version of Firestorm is managing to be a really boring version of the character (to me, anyway).

This season of Arrow just feels off, somewhat empty.  Anything that should have some weight feels forced.  The whole part in the flashback to the list hunting, where some dramatic explosion happens behind the Arrow, the music that comes on anytime Prometheus shows up, the forced bullshit with "OLLIE WAS A SERIAL KILLER YOU HAD A KILL LIST" when anyone watching the show knows damn well that he didn't kill everyone he came across and that killing the people involved wasn't really the point of his list - and Oliver not pointing that fact out.  IIRC, most of them wound up keeping their lives (until Merlyn put an arrow through them) but had to sacrifice something (usually money given to the victims), etc.  It's like they thought calling the Arrow a serial killer would be clever.  "Does that really make sense?"  "Nope, lets just do it anyway."  The mid season finale hinging on that nonsense "Oh, Oliver you're a serial killer, this city needs to be saved from you, so I'm going to team up with a guy who has killed dozens of innocents because that's what makes sense." makes it worse.

Season 3 was disjointed, but it still had a lot of fun things and even though last season had the Felicitiy BS, there's nothing near as bad as how some of the stuff this season is coming across.  The new recruits don't seem to have any thought put into them at all either.

I'm kind of in the middle on ARROW this season.  I think they made a lot of good decisions in theory (besides doing yet another Mystery Villain, which the Berlanti shows have conclusively proven they don't do well at this point): Shaking up the supporting cast and injecting new faces was a good idea and long overdue.  So was returning to more street level action and sort of walking Ollie back to his pre-season 3 personality and reckoning with his earlier actions.

But the execution has just been flat.  None of the new characters have connected and, worse, they don't even really seem that different from one another, despite their varied backgrounds.  And the writing has been really non-committal on the Ollie stuff.

All that said, I'll take this "meh" half season over the absolute shit show that FLASH has turned into.  They have fucking ruined that series, and I'm not sure even more time travel can solve how badly they fucked it up. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On January 8, 2017 at 9:44 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

It feels like they think a fifth series might work but have real concerns about oversaturation. I think a little caution isn't hurting even though everything is clearly succeeding thusfar.

I think they can easily support 4 or 5 shows on the air (sorta*), but I do think a time is coming when they'll have to make some hard, smart choices about which shows those are.  Like, is there really 7, 8, 9 seasons worth of story to tell with ARROW?  Is LEGENDS OF TOMORROW really viable as an ongoing series?  If they don't let shows overstay their welcome, and maybe shuffle around the actors they really like to other shows, they can ride this wave for a long time.

*I mean, I haven't been happy with the quality of any of the shows since they expanded to 4, but going by the ratings, I think I'm of a minority opinion on that and most people would be happy if things kept chugging along as they are.