DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

basically, Netflix doesn’t need Marvel anymore and the viewership decline in all the series’ (even Daredevil) made it hard to justify the mark up they were paying. In the beginning of the relationship, Netflix needed Marvel, but now they have deals in place and movies/original series’ that are more popular.

Marvel shows weren’t even in the Top 10 of most watched on Netflix for 2018, according to Netflix themselves.

There’s also stuff in that Twitter thread about the likelihood of the shows being revived on Hulu or Disney+ Or wherever. Basically that won’t happen either, because all of the original seasons will be on Netflix, they won’t sell them to Disney, and Disney doesn’t really want/care about them. If anything, you’re looking at complete reboots of the characters, like what happened to Spider-Man when the Sony collaboration came along.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the update. I honestly can't see how a Daredevil reboot will top Daredevil particularly S1, S3 and the perfect casting of Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin. Daredevil S1 and S3, #1-2 best live action Marvel has ever done.

Speaking of Jessica Jones, according to that Twitter thread I posted, the audience for that show was really different than all of the others. It had the most unique audience out of all the Marvel shows on Netflix, likely hitting the most non-comic viewers.

• Like 3

Rumors floating that Marvel TV is in talks with Hulu and FX (it’s said to be one or the other, the shows won’t float across cable and a paid service) to revive all of the Netflix-Marvel shows in 2 years when Marvel is allowed to use the characters in the television format again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch The Gifted? I've got all of season 2 saved but I'm not sure if I should watch it, or just delete.

Also, any updates on whether it (and Legion) will be sticking around or getting cancelled with the new owners?

The showrunner for The Gifted said if it's picked up for a third season, it likely won't be on Fox. Legion is ending after Season 3, but that's not because of the Fox/Disney merger - Noah Hawley always intended it to end after three seasons.

Anyone watch The Gifted? I've got all of season 2 saved but I'm not sure if I should watch it, or just delete.

Also, any updates on whether it (and Legion) will be sticking around or getting cancelled with the new owners?

The Gifted is a generally solid show. Kind of feels the type of stuff that led to the world we saw in Logan.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

D36B8p7XkAARbFK.jpg:large

So that's official.

Scarlet Witch & The Vision is called.... WANDAVISION. ?

And the animated What If? series is confirmed, with the debut episode supposedly focusing on Peggy Carter getting the Super Soldier serum and Steve Rogers fighting in WW2 with a Stark created armor. It's important to note that any MCU character that's in the What If? series will be voiced by their real life actor/actress.

All of the Marvel shows will have ramifications in a post-Endgame world. So, think about Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix stuff being loosely connected to the MCU and flip it on it's head where it's ACTUALLY connected because Kevin Feige actually gives a fuck.

Disney+ launches on November 12th. $6.99 a month, or $69.99 for a year. Downloading episodes/movies is possible for offline viewing.

ALL IN.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Gabriel Luna retweeted the news about Ghost Rider, and he's teasing it on his Twitter now, so he's probably starring in the Ghost Rider series. So that one at least points to it being canon within the MCU (or as canon as these Marvel TV Studios shows are, anyway).

• Like 1

I think its safe to say Endgame killed any potential canon with the MCU for the tv series. That or we should just assume all the shows are in one of those alternate timelines.

So it's a completely "new" iteration of Ghost Rider, it's still Robbie Reyes, still the same actor from when this character was on Agents of SHIELD... but it's in no way connected to AoS Uhhhh. Okay, I guess. Won't stop me from watching the show, but it seems really weird. At this point the Marvel TV properties need a serious reboot, everything is disjointed and nothing is connected and it's a mess.

• Like 1

Gabriel Luna is reprising his role from Agents of SHIELD as Robbie Reyes' Ghost Rider. But it's a "completely new iteration" of the character, not connected to AoS at all. Which is just weird, but whatever.