DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Agents of SHIELD got picked up for a 7th season.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm happy though find it odd with the 6th season not even airing until the summer.

Unexpected but welcome news. Wasn't as keen on last season's five. Season Four is one of the best Marvel TV seasons ever.

I really am curious how we went from "not sure if we are going to renew it" to "we are going to bring it back, but with a shorter episode order and air it in a less valuable part of the year" to "we are giving season 7 an early order before season six even premieres."

I'm not complaining or praising, I'm just curious.

• Like 1

Presumably, either whatever they've shown them of season six is really good, or they've been told the Marvel licence is in danger if they aren't making at least one Marvel show a year.

Even if AoS had been cancelled after this season, we’d still be left with Cloak & Dagger, Runaways, Punisher, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Gifted, Legion, the Disney+ shows and New Warriors (if it’s ever picked up by anyone). Realistically the Marvel license isn’t in danger just because two shows on Netflix got cancelled that had low viewership numbers.

I don't know what American companies are owned by which American corporations. AoS airs on E4, which is part of Channel 4, which is publically owned (like the BBC) but advertiser funded (unlike the BBC). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't know what American companies are owned by which American corporations. AoS airs on E4, which is part of Channel 4, which is publically owned (like the BBC) but advertiser funded (unlike the BBC). 

Disney owns Marvel and ABC (and ESPN and Lucas Film and Freeform and...)

I hate to double post, but it came out yesterday that Rocket and Groot might be another mini-series that’s on Disney+.

For those keeping track, it’s now supposedly: Loki, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier/Falcon and Groot/Rocket.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:28 AM, Casey said:

I hate to double post, but it came out yesterday that Rocket and Groot might be another mini-series that’s on Disney+.

For those keeping track, it’s now supposedly: Loki, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier/Falcon and Groot/Rocket.

Wasn't Vision another? 

Only interested in Loki and Winter Soldier/Falcon.

This is totally just me spitballing, but whoever makes those decisions in that pay-grade simply felt it was easier to keep an established show like Agents of SHIELD on the air for content reasonings. Like it fulfills offering new content in a certain timeslot, or it gives ABC/Marvel a certain amount of more new content they want in their library. Either way, no one can call the show a failure anymore at this point.

Also, Moon Knight better be getting something at some point. Extreme lack of Jewish superheroes around. 

Anecdotal: I watched the first two seasons in week one. I still haven’t watched the third season. For a lot of viewers, they poisoned the well by putting out boring, bloated shows. 

There are also the other obvious issues about Disney’s looming streaming business. But I have less anecdotal to offer on that subject. 

And that's a shame because Daredevil Season 3 I think is probably the best one of them all. I watched it once through by myself and I'm going through a second time because my wife wanted to watch it and man is it ever good.

Very disappointed.

• Like 1

And the showrunner finished the fourth season pitch earlier this month if I recall correctly. Either they didn't like the pitch or this pretty much confirms Disney is the one ending the Netflix shows. Pretty much means The Marvel netflix series are ending with JJ S3 and Punisher S2.

Disney probably wants the Netflix content for the Disney+ streaming service and will most likely import everything into the MCH. 

Loki and Scarlet Witch are already getting stand alone shows, so Defenders is probably next if everyone signs back up.

I'm not bummed out so much about the cancellation as I am about the idea of Disney leveraging viewership for their own streaming service by killing their content on other platforms. 

I watch more than just MS content on Netflix and MS content on Disney+ is probably not going to persuade me to sign up just to watch two or three shows, especially if Disney+'s viewership fee costs me an arm and a leg.

See if you do the thing where you only subscribe to Netflix for one month every year or so (and then spend a whole month binge watching everything*), it makes sense to defer this year's sub until all the Marvel shows have finished (assuming they keep them up once they've finished; Presumably if Disney then picks the characters up, ownership of the Netflix footage could be an issue). I dunno, Netflix seems to have a policy of keeping all the NFOriginals up all the time (and sometimes letting proper TV channels show old episodes too) and letting their bought from other companies content lapse, but Disney's track record in the Home Video and DVD market is full of deletions and re-releases. Last Chance to Own Snow White December 30th and so on. Pressure selling. I could see then doing a thing where if you want to watch Loki and Scarlet Witch, Loki gets deleted a month before Scarlet Witch starts. I also see them releasing one episode a week, instead of the NF-style whole season simultaneous drop.

* I don't know why more people don't do that, by the way. You pay the same $9.99 for WWE Network whether you watch one hour a month or 100 hours. Some people probably keep their NFL Network subscriptions active all year, even though they only actually play games from August (assuming pre-season counts) to February (and most teams are out of the picture as long before the playoffs actually start).