DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Can people put episode numbers before their spoilers? Unless everyone binged and are done and are talking about the whole thing. We're through three and will probably hit another two tomorrow but I'd like to see comments as we go.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Can people put episode numbers before their spoilers? Unless everyone binged and are done and are talking about the whole thing. We're through three and will probably hit another two tomorrow but I'd like to see comments as we go.

You could just not click on anything that says spoilers if you don't want to get spoiled?  I mean they are tagged for a reason.

I'm two episodes in and Cage is fucking tremendous . I'm digging it even more than season one of Daredevil, so far. The music is what puts it over the top for me. I'n thinking they HAVE to sell a soundtrack album for this. And I want it right fucking now.. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm two episodes in and Cage is fucking tremendous . I'm digging it even more than season one of Daredevil, so far. The music is what puts it over the top for me. I'n thinking they HAVE to sell a soundtrack album for this. And I want it right fucking now.. 

Okay, you guys are gonna have to explain what you're loving so much about this show.  Does it take a major turn in the 2nd episode?  Because I watched the 1st last night, and I couldn't have been more underwhelmed.  It was...fine, but actually pretty boring.  Having Luke basically sit on the sidelines for most of the episode while a bunch of generic gangsta-types do generic gangsta things was not a smart move.

The scene with the Biggie picture was the one moment that actually delivered on the show that was promised.

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

You could just not click on anything that says spoilers if you don't want to get spoiled?  I mean they are tagged for a reason.

Oh, I'm not clicking. But I'd like to if someone was talking about episode 3 and I'd made it past episode three. That's what I was saying.

Very generally, I'll say this. I'm 3 episodes in and I have no idea where this is going. This thing feels like it's paced for a 4 episode series. Episode one set things up, with episode 2 providing the driving action that ends a first act, episode 3 being the second act and the apparent success that goes along with it,and then a twist and a big boom to lead to the lowpoint that signifies the end of the second act. 

I have no idea what they're going to do with the rest of the episodes. It's been moving at a hell of a pace.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Okay, you guys are gonna have to explain what you're loving so much about this show.  Does it take a major turn in the 2nd episode?  Because I watched the 1st last night, and I couldn't have been more underwhelmed.  It was...fine, but actually pretty boring.  Having Luke basically sit on the sidelines for most of the episode while a bunch of generic gangsta-types do generic gangsta things was not a smart move.

The scene with the Biggie picture was the one moment that actually delivered on the show that was promised.

You have to keep watching. But the first episode is fine as far as pacing goes. It's basically introducing everyone to Cage and the rest of the characters. Therefore a lot of action wasn't needed. I know I'm probably screwing up how to say this but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Seeing tribe called quest and de la soul on there makes me happy.

Just wish it was something off of "De La Soul Is Dead" or "Buhloone Mind State" more. Hell even "Stakes Is High" because Luke Cage deserves to walk down the street all bad ass like to "Big brother Beat"

James

Just finished Luke Cage. I thought it started out slow, but was generally solid early on with it getting better and better as it went on. The final episode is probably a bit messy in some ways but still good. Loved the series overall, maybe even a bit more than Jessica Jones though I wouldn't necessarily say its better. I thought everyone did a great job in their roles. I wonder how much is being saved in hopes of another season or a for a potential Heroes for Hire series.

• Like 1

The problem with doing Heroes for Hire at this point is that this Luke Cage constantly rejects the idea of wanting to get paid for hero'ing.  He's no hero and he says he don't want no scratch.  

Now personally would I love to see like basically a superhero start-up business show?  Basically instead of private detectives, you have Luke and Danny going into business for themselves as private superheroes in the yellow pages.  Maybe Danny loses his fortune and they're just blue-collar workers trying to get by with what they have. I think that could be a fun show.  But with this Luke Cage, I don't see him wanting to do a start-up business with his abilities.

Man. Just finished episode 3 and this is already pretty clearly my pick for best Marvel Netflix series.

I am amazed they got a show this steeped in black culture made. In the same way Jessica Jones was made really directly for women, the Marvel Netflix series are showing at better eye for appealing to the diversity of Marvel's fanbase than the movies.

Taking some risks on language too. The use of the N-word surprised me but fit the tone. That they snuck 'trim' in there actively shocked me though.

Saw pretty much every shocking twist so far coming a mile away, but the story is less dependant on that, focusing more on the characters and the reasons behind their actions as well as the consequences of them. Cottonmouth and Black Mariah are already the realest villains in probably the whole MCU. You get who they are and what drives them and why they do what they do. They're not even unsympathetic...but because of the choices they make, bad things happen and thus Luke comes calling. It's super great.

For some reason Theo Rossi as Shades reminds me of Christopher Mintz-Plasse which makes it hard for me to take him seriously even though he plays it well.

And Mike Colter remains perfect as Luke.

Super pumped that I got ten more episodes to go.

2 hours ago, steve said:

It is based on a comic book. :P

But still, in the most grounded MCU property yet, it was way out of place. Took me right out.

That said, I'm through episode 7 now, and I overall still love this show. More than both seasons of Daredevil. Not typical superhero stuff or stories we've seen a hundred times before.

It made no sense!  For that character, as presented over the previous 2 and 7/8ths episodes, to order the nuking of a whole corner would be a huge stretch in itself.  But for him to pull the trigger himself?  No chance.  That is just fantastically dumb.

Does he want the Feds up in his shit?  Because bombing a corner in NYC is probably the 2nd quickest way to make that happen.  And they found motherfuckers dropping off backpacks in a crowd in Boston, you don't think they can track the guy hopping around rooftops in the middle of the night with a rocket launcher?

Spoiler

They definitely would, if it was real life.

This is a world with alien invasions, Gods, and radiated monsters. I'm not scoffing at a dude with a rocket launcher.

Edited since some people may not have watched that ep yet.

2 things about that:

1.  There are consequences to all those things.  We literally just had a movie about the world's governments trying to get a handle on that kind of wild shit and destruction.  I don't really buy the argument that MCU is a consequence-free zone where the US government doesn't respond to a NYC corner getting bombed in what would most assuredly be initially viewed a terrorist attack.

2.  Even if we were to assume that were the case, it still doesn't follow logically from the world that *this* show had spent 3 episodes building up to that point.  They've gone out of their way to establish their Harlem - their corner of the MCU - as a gritty, grounded in reality place....that also happens to have an invincible man trouncing around in it now.  Much like THE DARK KNIGHT, it's a crime drama, first and foremost.  Even though they've (smartly) stayed away from making direct connections in the press, make no mistake about it:  the idea here is that they're making THE WIRE with a superhero.  And the likes of Stringer Bell and Marlo Stanfield didn't do their own dirt.  In fact, it undermines the whole point of doing "THE WIRE with a superhero" if the other characters begin behaving unrealistically.