DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 12/20/2018 at 5:38 AM, El Dragon said:

So, Runaways season 2 drops tomorrow or those who are interested.

We finished it the night before last. The first half of the season had the kids acting like a bunch of dumb teenagers, which is both great and painful, of course. The back half was much more disjointed and unfocused but it came together more or less. You get the sense with two episodes to go that they need about five more to tie things off and then it ends in a way that they just bump a bunch of it to the next season.

I'm glad the show exists though.

Finished S2 of Punisher last night. Like Luke Cage & Iron Fist, I thought it was a good improvement over the first season. They do a better job exploring the whole cast. The pacing is better. And it feels like they do a good transitioning Frank closer to what he is in the comics while still leaving some decent personality there. Good season all in all.

I can't imagine us getting to Punisher S2 any time before spring TV is over and we're looking for something to watch this summer. We rushed Runaways S2 into our rotation and are looking forward to Cloak and Dagger S2 and rushed all the other Marvel shows, but there's just not a lot of interest here relative to the rest of the TV we watch. Some of that is the current Netflix/Marvel situation, I think. Some of it is a natural disdain for the Punisher (though I like both Bernthal as an actor/person and his quasi-bitchy/passive aggressive portrayal of the character). There's just no real need to rush it. 

I just finished Runaways s1 (yes, I'm way behind). It was really good, but the way the penultimate episode ended made you expect the final one to be this epic climactic battle. And it wasn't. Not at all. It was a "let's resolve nothing, we have a second season" finish.

I honestly thought they were done.  The way last season ended it was a bunch of tying up loose ends and it came across like they weren't sure if there would be a season 6.  I'll be glad to see it back on but without looking at the trailer yet (am at work) I'll be curious to see where things go from here.

• Like 1

Man, this season of The Punisher ended up such a wildly disappointing piece of hot garbage.  There's 'trying to make your villains real people' and then there's this level of overkill, where they try to make each of their three dimensions seem three-dimensional.  Each and every bit of Jigsaw's story made him seem like the biggest idiot on the block, that the worst thing Frank actually did to him wasn't to cost him his face or his memory, but his basic cognitive functions.  Was he really just a big puppy dog who needed the love of a good (or, just as crazy as he was) woman?  Awww...not fucking buying it.  And he really needed Dr. Dipshit (because let's face it, Floriana Lima's character was 97 flavors of absurdly crazy, or just a total nitwit for not. just. calling. the cops.) to tell him to bring Frank down a few pegs?  Really?  Couldn't have figured out how to pull that off on his own, because he didn't expertly manipulate people constantly in the first season or anything, did he?  Yeah, no.

Plus, they really left Ben Barnes too pretty, when it comes down to it.  This didn't need to go to Dominic-West-in-Punisher-War-Zone levels of hokey make-up work, but it felt like they blew all their make-up budget on the many, many, many, many gratuitous face-punching fight scenes, and then had to come up with something for him that would last the whole season, and just said, "Ah, fuck it, let's draw some lines".

Some of Pilgrim's stuff worked, but really only at the end, once his past comes to the forefront.  "The Dark Hearts of Men" was easily the highlight of the season, largely because the rest was so thoroughly implausible (even by comic book & comic book TV show standards) that its relentless violence makes you feel *something* that isn't an eye roll and a guffaw.  Madani skirted the line between overwrought and thoroughly unlikable (i.e., where she spent basically all of season 1), though I guess they could have sidestepped that problem by simply casting an actor with more than 3 facial expressions in her repertoire.  Giorgia Whigham might have been the single most believable character throughout the course of the show, which shouldn't be all that surprising.  She looked familiar from the first time on screen, and I couldn't place why, but she's Shea Whigham's daughter, and damn if she doesn't look it; that's one directly inherited jawline.  Seems like the acting apple didn't fall far from the tree, either.

And getting into any detail about how ham-fisted the political and social bits of the show are would be giving them the oxygen of credibility.  The nicest thing I can say about this is at least it wasn't season 1 of Iron Fist.  

• Like 1

S3 of Legion will be it's last which is fine, and I wonder what it means for other FX original shows, to be honest, though this one has the distinction of being a Marvel show too. I like Legion a lot and there's nothing else like it on TV, but the character can't come back from where he went in the end of S2 and he probably shouldn't too far anyway. Honestly, they could position things where he ends S3 in a place where he could be a villain for something else upcoming but that's probably a bridge too far.

I'm fine with Legion ending on S3. Hopefully its something satisfying. I really hated that season 3 ending. It was going too far just to justify a heel turn.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Isnt Legion a heel in the current X-Men books? (Before Nate Grey became the main villain)

I believe he was dead and trying to semi redeem himself just before that.

Michael Waldon, of Rick & Morty, will be be the Loki mini-series' show creator and executive producer (and write the pilot).

Apparently the leaks of the plot for this series either wasn't true, or has changed drastically, since according to the Hollywood Reporter, it'll be:

Sources say the show will follow Loki, as the trickster and shapeshifter, pops up throughout human history as an unlikely influencer on historical events.

Which could be pretty fun, actually. I like that premise way more than what the leaks suggested.

• Like 2

Shapeshifter? So, they can't get Tom Hiddy for a full season, but then can have him morph into 'Loki actor of the week' every episode? Like Quantum Leap, only evil?

Can we stop pretending that Netflix made these choices on their own and weren't influenced by Disney? No one is ever going to outright say so, but this looks like it's pretty clearly Disney putting an end to these.

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Can we stop pretending that Netflix made these choices on their own and weren't influenced by Disney? No one is ever going to outright say so, but this looks like it's pretty clearly Disney putting an end to these.

Why do you say that? Literally every source and both companies say it was 100% Netflix's call.

• Like 1