DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Would you want it to end positively?  I mean, from a drama standpoint, the only way to salvage anything resembling a (mildly) happy would have been through bad writing and some completely out of left field deus ex machina twist.

He means from a quality standpoint ;) .

Not positive for the characters but here's how it ultimately should've ended. If we got of Mice and Men, that might've justified some of the utter hot garbage of where the show veered off.

Jessica Jones either through a neck snap or pulling the trigger should've been the one to put down her mother.  Like her mother forced her hand.  Maybe she was threatening an innocent bystander Jessica didn't even know and she made a split second choice.  Would've been a heck of a lot better to see Jessica wallowing in that pain instead of the trash they ended the season with.

Of Mice and Men. 

There was way too much of Jessica trying to prove, even to herself, that she's not a killer and not like her mom, for her to be the one to end it. Knowing she should've been, but couldn't should just add to her character in season 3.

If you accept my premise above (and clearly you might not) then Trish was the only other character worth having pull the trigger (the aforementioned absurdity of the actual shot aside.) If Artie did it, well, hey, just doing his job/generic cop killer plot. Anyone else would've been way out of left field. But this gives them a major issue to build on for next season. It also let Trish put her own cap on her story for the season, instead of being hospitalized or what have you being the end of it. 

It's a show that managed to keep all it's major characters in place, but completely shake up the status quo for next season. And I hope they don't do one of those obnoxious "we worked it all out in two episodes" things. Eventually Trish and Jessica will be friends again I'm sure, but the relationship should never be the same thing again.

Spoiler

Of course S3 is going to be Hellcat versus Jessica Jones in relucant superhero stand offs until they come up against a foe that requires them to team up. In the end, they’ll realize what the other had issues with and will be the best of friends once again.

The same guy who was going on about how “it’s still Jessica’s mother deep down and she should realize that” also wanted a resolution to the arc that included a snap judgement death of her mother at her own hands. If this is the thought process it takes to review films and TV, sign me up because that’s utterly ridiculous and doesn’t make any sense within the story they were trying to tell. You spend the entire finale with her on the run with her mom, laboring over the decision on if she should put her down, and you want it to be a split second kill where she loses sight of the thing you were suggesting in the first place (it’s still her mom, have compassion, she can’t control it, etc). Whaaaat?

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

However the decision or way it happened it should’ve been Jessica.  They didn’t need 13 episodes to get to that conclusion 

So the conclusion to her trying to prove to herself she's not a killer like her mom is, should've been her killing someone?

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Add onto that, someone who (according to VileOne) can't control themselves when they murder someone. So, her mother is basically a victim of circumstance, therefore innocent, and your logical conclusion is that the woman who spent a handful of episodes trying to prove to herself and people around her that she's not a murderer... should become a murderer and kill someone who "can't control herself".

The right choice was Trish, who has spent two seasons now trying to be a hero (in different ways). Her shooting a moving target that high up is logical, in a way, given that she's been on that inhaler drug and was, at that point, probably showing signs of her impending superhero abilities. Add that to her existing fascination with guns and it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Spoiler

Jessica voluntarily killing her mom...

.... would have been one of the few viable ways to make an already bleak season bleaker.  Seriously, I'm glad you people weren't around to fantasy book 1980's WWF.  I don't really want to see Ricky Steamboat turn heel and take up a new gimmick where he literally sets babyfaces on fire.

I was good with the story they told and how they wrapped it up.  I felt like the narrative needed to be tighter along the way.  Like  TheVileOne said, they probably didn't need 13 episodes to tell the story.

I would probably have been less interested in the season if they had built the season around a traditional supervillian dust-up.  I'm fine with the antagonist basically being Jessica's internal angst.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hide contents

So the conclusion to her trying to prove to herself she's not a killer like her mom is, should've been her killing someone?

Good for Jessica, not being a killer I guess.  It's about as honest as The Doctor saying "I never would."  It's a flimsy conclusion at best. For a shitshow of a second half.

8 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:
  Hide contents

Jessica voluntarily killing her mom...

.... would have been one of the few viable ways to make an already bleak season bleaker.  Seriously, I'm glad you people weren't around to fantasy book 1980's WWF.  I don't really want to see Ricky Steamboat turn heel and take up a new gimmick where he literally sets babyfaces on fire.

I was good with the story they told and how they wrapped it up.  I felt like the narrative needed to be tighter along the way.  Like  TheVileOne said, they probably didn't need 13 episodes to tell the story.

I would probably have been less interested in the season if they had built the season around a traditional supervillian dust-up.  I'm fine with the antagonist basically being Jessica's internal angst.

Did you watch the first season?  It was way bleaker and darker and psychologically terrifying than this season. 

On 3/14/2018 at 11:52 PM, EVA said:

It's basically a Buffy season 6 "Life is the big bad" scenario (complete with Trish getting addicted to magi...er, powers).  It comes with its pluses and minuses.

Exact comparison I was going to make after getting through most of the season. No real overall villain, friends screwing over the main protagnist, drug addiction analogy/depression plot, etc.

There's got to be a Buffy writer on it. Fowler would know.

I know the Trish character isn't getting much love, but I thought they did a good job with Malcolm. I buy his faults now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They mentioned something happening in New York but who knows if it’s related to Infinity War. I doubt it is, since it aired on the day the movie came out and that wasn’t its original release date when they filmed the season.

56 minutes ago, Casey said:

That’s always been the case, though?

I guess that's correct. But I guess there was some hope that Coulson would show up and meet the Avengers again. I don't know why he can't. His resurrection isn't exactly a state secret anymore. He's appeared in public plenty of times. All those hopes have now evaporated though.