DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

finally finished Iron Fist.

man, not a fan of this one. it started out promising enough, but every twist and turn is obvious ten miles away. The Ep 10 reveal (discussed earlier) is the only one that caught me off guard, but that was more in a "wait, what?" kinda way than anything.

the martial arts fights were not good at all. Danny gets beat up by everyone from security to regular thugs before turning it around with one of those corkscrew kicks. every. damn. time. Plus, he never even uses his iron fist to punch somebody. i'm not even putting that in spoilers. NOBODY GETS PUNCHED WITH THE IRON FIST. 

Danny is a complete jerk to everybody that tries to help him, unless it's obvious that these people will turn on him, which of course are the only people he trusts. 

I'm trying to get through Iron Fist. I'm 6 episodes in.

It's fucking terrible. I mean, it is just really fucking bad. I'm honestly probably done with it and I'll hope Danny is at least moderately more interesting in the Defenders. I'm just surprised that some of you guys like it. What is actually good? I keep watching this turd hoping for it to get better and it doesn't. I figured if nothing else that the fight scenes would improve and they still look awful. This has by far the worst action scenes out of any of the Netflix Marvel shows. I just don't know how this could have happened. I mean, look at Daredevil. Many of those fights just look brutal. People look like they're getting fucked up. In this, it's just...it's like something out of an 80s action tv series, like A-Team or something, but A-Team is still better and actually has some charm to it.

I just don't care about this character or any of the other characters in the slightest. You look at the rogues gallery for the Netflix Marvel shows and you have the various ninjas from Daredevil, Elektra, Kingpin, Kilgrave, Cottonmouth, and even the dork from Luke Cage with the power armor. And then you have the geeks in Iron Fist.

It really makes me worry about the quality of the Defenders and of the upcoming Punisher series.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Leaning more toward MCU than Marvel TV, so I'm... hyped for an Inhumans project?!?!?.... and really believe WWE is going to start booking Bayley really well any week now!!!!!

Hope springs eternal.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been sitting here for a few minutes trying to figure out a way to hedge my bets while still popping for Lockjaw. Black Bolt, Maximus, and Lockjaw look pretty good, but the rest look Sharknado level.

Thank you for using spoiler tags for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fourth season is the best yet. Great stuff with the season split into sections: Ghost Rider, LMD and Agents of HYDRA in this order. I encourage the show to keep this format. The highlights include: Ghost Rider, new S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Jeffrey Mace, ethical questions regarding artificial intelligence even before the LMD arc and an alternate reality in the framework. Agents of HYDRA storyline produced the best run of episodes for quality in the history of the show. I wasn’t as keen on the season finale to others from the show previously.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2017 at 5:16 PM, Casey said:

Inhumans were introduced in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season Two ahead of the announced movie. The movie changed to a TV series, the bad EW photo of the cast, now the trailer and this is going to be shown on IMAX. IMAX! Oof. I think some will be enjoying what’s happening to the Inhumans over the X-Men treatment.

So I finally finished Iron Fist, and I honestly think it is the worst television show I've ever gave this much time.  Danny Rand trusting the Meachums over and over again is even dumber than Sting trusting Flair and the 4 Horsemen over and over again.  They had him assaulted, arrested, institutionalized, and sent hitmen after him, and he still trusted them.  Not only that, I didn't care about any of the villains.  The iron fist abilities seemed to come and go for no reason whatsoever, and his fighting ability would go from elite, best in the world, to average at best from scene to scene.  The whole thing was just a huge mess.  The only characters I cared about at all were Claire Temple and Coleen Wing...but they weren't enough to carry the show.  I pretty much hated this entire show, and can't figure out how it turned out this bad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

So I finally finished Iron Fist, and I honestly think it is the worst television show I've ever gave this much time.  Danny Rand trusting the Meachums over and over again is even dumber than Sting trusting Flair and the 4 Horsemen over and over again.  They had him assaulted, arrested, institutionalized, and sent hitmen after him, and he still trusted them.  Not only that, I didn't care about any of the villains.  The iron fist abilities seemed to come and go for no reason whatsoever, and his fighting ability would go from elite, best in the world, to average at best from scene to scene.  The whole thing was just a huge mess.  The only characters I cared about at all were Claire Temple and Coleen Wing...but they weren't enough to carry the show.  I pretty much hated this entire show, and can't figure out how it turned out this bad.

THANK YOU! I couldn't figure out what my biggest problem with the series was and I think that might be it. Danny is fucking dumb. Really dumb. The rest of the people around him are about as dumb. To go for what felt like half the season with his friends not believing Danny is Danny is infuriating. As frustrating was Danny constantly in shock that he would be betrayed. Again. And again.

I think I already made complaints about how the action sequences felt like they were shot in the shittiest, most choreographed way and then sped up to look hyper kinetic, but the story itself, the motivations of the characters, and the intelligence level of nearly everyone was fucking dogshit. The look of the show was sub-network TV level and compared to Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and even Luke Cage, it's just super disappointing. Especially so when I think that this is IRON FIST and if anything would bring action at Daredevil's level, it would be this. Instead just about everything came across worse than Luke's fight with the big boss near the end of the Luke Cage season.

As for Inhumans, I think I'll pass. I still want to get into Agents of SHIELD, but it's so hard to get into a series that still follows the ultra shitty 20+ episodes per season model. Fuck all of that. It's ridiculous for networks to try to produce that many episodes of TV these days.

By the way, what was the story about the shuffle involving Inhumans and one of the Disney/MCU executives? This is choppy at best, but I seem to recall that an exec was really into the Inhumans when everyone else thought it was dogshit, which lead to the movie becoming a TV series and that exec getting pushed into another role by Kevin Feige.

• Like 1

I said it before. If you're going to watch this anyway (and like reading related comics, you probably will), the best way to get the most enjoyment out of it, is to look at it like What About Bob? Danny is Bob. Once I figured that out, I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing that really annoyed me was the Colleen twist, because I didn't think the groundwork was laid down for it.