DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Hmm, GOTHAM vs. SHIELD. That's a tough one.

GOTHAM is bad, but it's badness mainly stems from a horribly flawed premise and it at least fails while taking some big swings at the material. SHIELD took a premise that should've been impossible to fuck up and somehow managed to make the most boring, perfunctory bit of corporate synergy possible.

GOTHAM has a way better cast, too. No matter how bad the story around him is, Robin Lord Taylor is a treat each and every week as Penguin (I swear, at one point last season, it must have become a game in the writer's room to come up with dumb situations to put him in, and he crushed it every time). And there has never been more on point casting than Donal Logue as Bullock. Sure, Jada sucked, but at least she was going for something in her performance, unlike the Sears catalogue models who recite their lines adequately on SHIELD.

GOTHAM also has an interesting visual aesthetic, as opposed to Generic Network Procedural #37843920 with a slightly bigger special effects budget.

• Like 1

Sure, Jada sucked, but at least she was going for something in her performance

This could describe almost every Jada Pinkett performance post A Different World.

Gotham has Jessica Lucas this season, and I like looking at Jessica Lucas. So yeah, I'm going to stick around until her character gets killed off. Then, it's arrivederci.

AoS? Didn't hate it or love it. I stopped watching it at some point, and I have no desire to sit through forty plus episodes of what I was indifferent about. I'll pass.

The only reason I watched the second half of Gotham series 1 was because I like looking at Morena Baccarin, so there's that (although it wasn't enough to keep me watching Homeland). But then Agents o'Shield doesn't really collapse on that score... though why they felt the need to transform the beautiful Ruth Negga into a bipedal hedgehog is a mystery.

Daredevil season 2 is gonna be BUSY. The Punisher and Elektra are the big 2, but Melvin Potter is still floating around. Vanessa Fisk will surely play into it. And they could always bring back Wilson and Leland Owlsey too (though I doubt it on Owlsey ever and probably not this season for Wilson).

Is Bullseye confirmed to be in it also? They should probably hold off on him for another season. Maybe tease him at the very end.