DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

While I'm here: Is Agent Carter one of those "Trust me, it gets better in the second season!" deals? 

I thought Agent Carter S1 was great and I still enjoyed the second season though it wasn't at the level of its predecessor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

While I'm here: Is Agent Carter one of those "Trust me, it gets better in the second season!" deals? 

Nope. Unfortunately it only got worse in the second season. Totally lost the plot. Plus a waste of Madame Masque, who should've been the villain in Iron Man 3.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 2:19 PM, Casey said:

Runaways has been cancelled.

There will be a "natural close" during Season 3 so there won't be a Season 4.

Looks like the last vestiges of Jeph Loeb's tenure at Marvel TV are slowly going away.

It's understandable though.   We all joke about how Marvel > DC when it comes to movies, but DC TV totally blows Marvel TV out of the water for the most part and that all went down under Loeb's watch.  Somebody's head had to roll over those shoddy numbers.

I don't think any Marvel TV show has been able to meet or exceed the quality or storytelling of Netflix Daredevil and I have yet to watch a DC TV show that I didn't like..... well.....

…..maybe Gotham but it is so far off the Batman origin mark that I mostly ignore it....

Loeb's product will eventually die off and Feige will take over and consolidate the new crop of Marvel TV under Disney+.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

There will be a "natural close" during Season 3 so there won't be a Season 4.

Looks like the last vestiges of Jeph Loeb's tenure at Marvel TV are slowly going away.

It's understandable though.   We all joke about how Marvel > DC when it comes to movies, but DC TV totally blows Marvel TV out of the water for the most part and that all went down under Loeb's watch.  Somebody's head had to roll over those shoddy numbers.

I don't think any Marvel TV show has been able to meet or exceed the quality or storytelling of Netflix Daredevil and I have yet to watch a DC TV show that I didn't like..... well.....

…..maybe Gotham but it is so far off the Batman origin mark that I mostly ignore it....

Loeb's product will eventually die off and Feige will take over and consolidate the new crop of Marvel TV under Disney+.

DC over Marvel when it comes to cartoons. I'm talking more the period of the legendary Batman: The Animated Series then Batman of the Future and Justice League. For animated films, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm tops the lot followed by Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Marvel's two best cartoons are The Spectacular Spider-Man followed by Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I can't comment on DC TV as I've seen little of it. Daredevil is king of comic book television shows. Daredevil: Season One and Season Three are the best things to come from the MCU and I'd go further still saying those are Marvel's greatest live action ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

For animation, sure. For live action, I can't really agree with DC>Marvel. The Arrowverse when good is pretty good, but I find it to be about as much as a mixed bag as Marvel on the average. Daredevil's first and third seasons were better than any DC TV w/o question. First season of Jessica Jones also ranks pretty high over most DC tv. Same with Legion's first season. I thought both seasons of Luke Cage were decently good as well. The only thing I found actively bad was Iron Fist S1 (never saw Inhumans). To be honest, that was worst than anything I've seen from DC TV, but I feel the highs of Marvel balance it out pretty easily.  Shield I think is about as much of a mixed bag as Arrow has been.

The big thing to me is that I think DC managed to do well at creating a tv shared universe while Marvel kind of only half succeeded with the Netflix shows, Runaways, & Cloak & Dagger.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm somewhat fine with this though I really do hope Feige considers trying to keep some of the same actors whenever they try and revive those characters within the MCU proper. The netflix shows did so well with much of the casting. Its just the writing that failed the actors at various moments.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to binge The Gifted, though I'm wondering why except for making my Hulu subscription slightly more worth it. Decent time wasting show, better than either Cloak and Dagger or Runaways, but one that feels like a missed opportunity. The Polaris/Eclipse relationship and casting worked well, and would have been better with a more natural progression instead of rushing to a conclusion. There's really nothing stopping The Dumbass Mouse from jumping straight into Exiles or Age of Apocalypse, given the ending, but they won't. 

And no, DC TV is not better than Marvel TV, because there's no DC TV, just Berlanti TV where every episode, arc, line delivery, camera shot, and ending sequence is the same. Marvel may be all over the map with quality but their highs are so much higher. 

But if there's one thing I'd burn straight to the fucking ground with modern TV, it's the pensive closing montage over some popular song. Fuck everyone involved with those.

• Like 1

I think they spent way too much time with the annoying parents on Gifted. They were basically the protagonists and window in characters for the show, but the show really shouldn't have been about them. After watching some episodes of the show's first season, it became increasingly clear that they struggled to include them in the story and having them do things when the focus should've been elsewhere.

Also, they should've just said the X-Men were all dead and never coming back. 

Never really felt like they struggled to include the parents, at least the father. Not sure how you could call the parents annoying when the kids were as bad, if not worse. I actually found the father the least annoying of the family. Honestly, the biggest issue the show had was the family it was supposed to focus on were kind of the worst aspects of the show.

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

And no, DC TV is not better than Marvel TV

I agree (well, kinda). Flash Season 1 is probably the best thing ever for my money, and Legends of Tomorrow is pretty goofy but basically a live action comic book. Whether or not I can tolerate LoT depends on how I'm feeling at that given time, though. But I do give DC TV credit for that Harley Quinn cartoon on their OTT service, because they're producing a mature cartoon and not just a sanitized, run of the mill cartoon. I watched some clips on YouTube before I knew what it was all about, and I was shocked that Harley Quinn was dropping F-bombs and whatnot. 

But, yeah - even though I have no patience for the Daredevil Netflix show, give me that and stuff like Jessica Jones or Punisher or Legion over the (largely) same DC shows that are on broadcast television. I've got no idea what the shows on their OTT service are like, besides the Harley cartoon, since I don't subscribe to it, and I probably won't ever since I'm not a huge DC fan.

I've always been curious about The Gifted, but I'm pretty weary of jumping into shows that are cancelled because I don't want to be left with a cliffhanger or a non-satisfying ending if it got cancelled midway through the showrunner's plans. It IS cancelled, right?

(Psst, Runaways wasn't all that bad. S1 was great, S2 was more of the same but a little less great, and I've yet to make a sizable dent in S3).

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think they spent way too much time with the annoying parents on Gifted. They were basically the protagonists and window in characters for the show, but the show really shouldn't have been about them. After watching some episodes of the show's first season, it became increasingly clear that they struggled to include them in the story and having them do things when the focus should've been elsewhere.

Also, they should've just said the X-Men were all dead and never coming back. 

I think one of the things that ends up working well about the show in a big-picture sense is that, if you enjoyed Logan, this feels like "Episodes from How We Got to the World of Logan", which is kind of neat.  Probably unintentional, and undeniably grimdark - the whole series is a collection of awful things happening that top the prior awful thing - but a nice window nonetheless.

I think eventually the parents blend in well enough, and I can't stand Stephen Moyer for the most part (feel, uh...differently about Amy Acker). Everything's a shitshow, and everyone gets more than their piece of it.  For me, the worst parts were the bad guys; I never liked the tropey Cop with Nothing to Lose garbage, and he only had maybe 3 scenes the whole show where I gave a rat's ass about his character.  And the final Big Bad has the mutant power of being able to walk around and deliver lines with a broomstick up her ass the whole time.