DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

... yes. The point is, Netflix is denying Disney is taking them away. Making it clear that Netflix is the one cancelling them.

Which they may be lying, who knows?

Could it also be that Netflix sees the writing on the wall and are taking the steps themselves before Disney gets to that point?

30 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Could it also be that Netflix sees the writing on the wall and are taking the steps themselves before Disney gets to that point?

Maybe. Again, Netflix's public statement is that they have these shows as long as they want. Shrug.

Might be like Marvel comics de-emphasising the X-Men because they couldn't use them in the movies. Netflix de-pushing Marvel characters to encourage Netflix fans to not like Superheroes any more. That's bound to work just fine.

Apparently Netflix has a racist algorithm now. Tries to get black people to watch a two hour movie that features a black character for ten minutes by tricking them into thinking the black character is the main star and it's his movie.

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Except they no longer want Iron Fist and Luke Cage...and Disney is getting into the streaming game now.

I mean, they may just not want people to feel like they're investing in series that are doomed before they even air them. I wouldn't expect Netflix to say the partnership is done until the last scheduled season has dropped and been out for a bit.

Iron Fist's problems aside, Luke Cage was a very well received show. And it seems weird in 2018 you are cancelling a popular show like that. Something clearly doesn't smell right here. 

Defenders didn't do as well as expected. And they aren't announcing any new shows for Netflix. The writing is on the wall. 

What helped DD S3 so much was the focus on one storyline with multiple characters as opposed to 2 storylines fucking up the narrative. If S2 had just been about the Punisher it would've been perfect but shoehorning Elektra and the Hand along with it split te story and made the superior story suffer.

James

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, keith_h said:

That would be awesome. Thanks.

Cool. Here you go. 

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist are investigating their own things which brings them together. It's the Hand and they've brought Elektra back from the dead. The Hand dig deep under a building in New York to get a dragon skeleton with restoration abilities. Alexandra who led the Hand used the last on Elektra, Elektra is so grateful she kills Alexandra.

Elektra is torn between right and wrong. Matt tries to reach to her. The four Defenders blow the building up with said dragon bones. Matt chooses to stay with Elektra as the other Defenders escape. Matt is presumed dead but the series ends with him alive and cared for by nuns.

I enjoyed the Defenders but it's disappointing as well. Netflix's answer to the Avengers bringing together the four headliners of each solo show. Slow beginning doesn't help as it's the shortest Marvel Netflix season and we've more of the fucking Hand to get through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J.H. said:

What helped DD S3 so much was the focus on one storyline with multiple characters as opposed to 2 storylines fucking up the narrative. If S2 had just been about the Punisher it would've been perfect but shoehorning Elektra and the Hand along with it split te story and made the superior story suffer.

James

Yep. The Punisher storyline in Daredevil Season Two was very good whereas the opposite goes for Elektra/the Hand. Daredevil Season Two was one of my biggest MCU letdowns.

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

I disagree. The Punisher worked because it was a shorter story. Had it been the whole season it would have diluted badly. The issue really comes down the Elektra/Hand story just not being anywhere near as interestingly or well written. There was almost certainly a solid story there. Whoever ran the season just had no idea how to pull it off.

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

I disagree. The Punisher worked because it was a shorter story. Had it been the whole season it would have diluted badly. The issue really comes down the Elektra/Hand story just not being anywhere near as interestingly or well written. There was almost certainly a solid story there. Whoever ran the season just had no idea how to pull it off.

Same showrunners as the Defenders.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Same showrunners as the Defenders.

And that makes perfect sense because the Defenders was more or less in the same boat while also having to deal with the baggage from the piss poorly handled Iron First S1.

• Like 1

Yesterday I finished Daredevil: Season Three. I’ve said Daredevil: Season One was not only the best thing from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, its Marvel’s best live action period. Daredevil: Season Three is of the same quality. An awesome season for the story, the performances all around particularly Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio, the fights, that one take shot is amazing and the twists too. I loved this series. I’ll revisit it and I’m already waiting for the inevitable Daredevil Season 3 Funko POP! A must watch.

Five best episodes with a description:

1. Blindsided. Matt uses Nelson’s license to go to jail and find out about Fisk’s stabbing. Matt has to fight his way out of the prison as the Kingpin authorizes inmates and guards on his payroll to get Murdock. It’s an amazing one-shot 11 minute sequence. Fisk lies for Dex as he’s under investigations for his actions when the convoy Fisk was in came under attack.(Ep4)

2. A New Napkin. Karen/Foggy uploads the video from Nadeem about Fisk’s crimes and names those who are corrupt. A three way fight goes down between Daredevil, Fisk and Dex as he finds out Julie was killed on order by Fisk. Matt makes a deal with Kingpin who'll keep away from Nelson/Page and Daredevil’s secret identity so Matt won’t go after Vanessa. Murdock, Nelson and Page get back together. (Ep13)

3. The Devil You Know. Matt will turn himself in to the FBI with Foggy as lawyer but first Nadeem has to hear the testimony of the guy Fisk hired to stab him. New York Bulletin reports Dex is under investigation. Fisk gives Dex a gift. Dex dresses up as Daredevil fights the real Daredevil. Dex kills the stabber of Fisk. FBI report Daredevil was behind the attack.(Ep6)

4. Upstairs/Downstairs. Nadeem and Daredevil break into Dex’s home for evidence that he was the attacker of the Bulletin. Dex overhears them so Daredevil/Nadeem flees. Fisk and Karen talk to one another, Fisk finds out that Karen knows about Matt’s secret life so to get Wilson back, says she killed James Wesley. Murdock working out hears Sister Maggie is his Mother. (Ep8)

5. One Last Shot. Nelson and Murdock reunite to use the law, Nadeem will take the stand and say what he and others have done under Fisk. A convoy with Murdock/Nadeem is ambushed by Fisk thugs. Matt tells Nadeem whereabouts to shoot what he can’t see. Fisk has gotten to the jurors. Nadeem is killed by Dex. (Ep12).

Three honourable mentions in: The Perfect Game. (Ep5), Revelations. (Ep9) and No Good Deed (Ep3).

Memorable moments not covered till now:

More of Father Lantom unlike the little in the previous season. 

The way Poindexter’s past was filmed in black and white with Wilson Fisk looking over it. (Ep5)

Agent Nadeem tells Hattley and an investigating officer about Fisk/Dex. I didn’t see the twist that Hattley is under Fisk’s control as she kills the investigating officer. Nadeem is made to look like he’s responsible unless he cooperates. (Ep9)

I must also give praise to the new showrunner, Erik Olsen, the music once more by John Paesano and the pacing of the show across 13 episodes, only this and Daredevil: Season One was successful at it.

• Like 1