DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Didn't care for all Shades and Mariah craziness.

Hide contents

Shades basically manipulates her into becoming a raging, aggressive psychopath...but then betrays her because she became too much of a raging, aggressive psychopath.

Spoiler

She was always that below the surface. She was just in denial of it. Shades left her because of what he had given up for her when he killed Comanche in conjunction with Mariah getting out of control. As evil as Shades is he still believes there are rules to the type of criminal they are. Mariah broke them with that act.

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

She was always that below the surface. She was just in denial of it. Shades left her because of what he had given up for her when he killed Comanche in conjunction with Mariah getting out of control. As evil as Shades is he still believes there are rules to the type of criminal they are. Mariah broke them with that act.

No he doesn't. Shades bullshit about there being rules is bullshit. Yeah she was always that, that's why he manipulated her to lose it and kill Cottonmouth. 

I think his gangster rules dictate not do that or to get his gun off when that arms dealer they sold the Judas insulted him. And he decided to pop him on the spot.

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

No he doesn't. Shades bullshit about there being rules is bullshit. Yeah she was always that, that's why he manipulated her to lose it and kill Cottonmouth. 

I think his gangster rules dictate not do that or to get his gun off when that arms dealer they sold the Judas insulted him. And he decided to pop him on the spot.

Spoiler

Uhm, Mariah did that to Cornell on her own. Its why Shades thought she had potential in their business.

So the fact I really want to watch the new seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage but am too nitpicky canon stuff to skip over stuff in sequence means I'm back to watching Iron Fist. Episode 6 is pretty good, mostly because RZA gets to flex his kung fu skills. That said, it's still baffling that they took a character built around cool aesthetics and great fights based in kung fu superhero fusion and gave us a show that's like 60% boring rich kid corporate drama and 20% bad fight scenes with no costume is just...baffling. Particularly because the first season of Daredevil ticked every box I'd want out of an Iron Fist series so it's not like they lack the capability. 

It's not a BAD show in a general sense, but it's so far from what anyone would want from Iron Fist that I can't help but wonder if it was a genuine attempt to sabotage the franchise to get revenge on someone behind the scenes ala Inhumans. 

Also for someone whose power is a super punch, Finn Jones has a TERRIBLE looking punch. I'm not saying he has to go Terry Funk and just start hitting people legit, but the Nash/Tom Jane fight in the Punisher film ruled and Jane legit stabbed Nash, so you can draw your own conclusions there.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 8:52 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So the fact I really want to watch the new seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage but am too nitpicky canon stuff to skip over stuff in sequence means I'm back to watching Iron Fist. Episode 6 is pretty good, mostly because RZA gets to flex his kung fu skills. That said, it's still baffling that they took a character built around cool aesthetics and great fights based in kung fu superhero fusion and gave us a show that's like 60% boring rich kid corporate drama and 20% bad fight scenes with no costume is just...baffling. Particularly because the first season of Daredevil ticked every box I'd want out of an Iron Fist series so it's not like they lack the capability. 

It's not a BAD show in a general sense, but it's so far from what anyone would want from Iron Fist that I can't help but wonder if it was a genuine attempt to sabotage the franchise to get revenge on someone behind the scenes ala Inhumans. 

Also for someone whose power is a super punch, Finn Jones has a TERRIBLE looking punch. I'm not saying he has to go Terry Funk and just start hitting people legit, but the Nash/Tom Jane fight in the Punisher film ruled and Jane legit stabbed Nash, so you can draw your own conclusions there.

What happened with Iron Fist and Inhumans is so bizarre to me. It's like they totally cheaped out on both. Inhumans is a far worse offender. Even in Iron Fist I thought critics were too hard on it and I found things I like. But with Inhumans, it felt like an intentional piece of self-sabotage. 

I don't know how anyone with a brain thought Scott Buck was a good choice for these shows. He's the worst thing to ever happen to Marvel TV. And that's after the consensus that he basically ruined Dexter when he was in charge.

• Like 1

Now that AoS S5 is on Netflix, I finally watched it all, and, wow, they really can't help but to follow a good season with a disappointing one on that show. This was a season that felt like a 13-ep run would have helped it quite a bit, so it's too bad they didn't pull the trigger on that idea sooner. But I think it's run its course and it's time to break up the party. They can wrap up everything that needs to be wrapped up in that timeframe, and the season finale made it clear what at least 2 of the story threads were going to be.

Now I can finally get to Luke Cage...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished Iron Fist S2. Its fairly solid and significantly better than the first season despite having to work with the mess it left. The action is way better all around. Does a better job with its pacing than most of the Marvel series. While I assume the 10 episodes were because of the critical reception last year I do so hope the other series start following its lead unless they have two or more main arcs each season. Still not sure about some decisions made by the end. Mary being set up here was interesting.

Spoiler

Not big on Colleen with the Fist, but that is because it feels like a proper Heroes for Hire gets further and further away. Also while I have accepted we will never get an adaption of Brubaker & Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist, I can't help but be excited about Orson being name dropped at the end along with Danny completely aping his style. I'm curious who will play him if there is another season.

53 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Danny Rand fucking up a Triad summit through base incompetence is what I watch Iron Fist for.

Spoiler

To be fair he wasn't wrong, shit was going down. He just didn't realize it was the police. Its less that he fucked up a Triad summit and more that he fucked up a police sting.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Of the Marvel Netflix I've seen, Daredevil Season One was the only one paced right from beginning to end.

Luke Cage S2 and Iron Fist S2 are paced about right. With S2 of Luke Cage its just that the final episode tales a weird turn.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Luke Cage S2 and Iron Fist S2 are paced about right. With S2 of Luke Cage its just that the final episode tales a weird turn.

That's good. I never watched those or Luke Cage: Season One, Iron Fist: Season One and the Punisher: Season One. I reached the halfway point of Jessica Jones Season Two months ago  and I've not got back to it.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

That's good. I never watched those or Luke Cage: Season One, Iron Fist: Season One and the Punisher: Season One. I reached the halfway point of Jessica Jones Season Two months ago  and I've not got back to it.

That is a pity. Luke Cage S1 is good. Punisher is decent enough, just not quite what it should be and too long like most of the netflix Marvel series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That is a pity. Luke Cage S1 is good. Punisher is decent enough, just not quite what it should be and too long like most of the netflix Marvel series.

If I'm to catch up on a Marvel Netflix series, Luke Cage S1 would probably be the one. I'd have to see it before jumping to S2.

I lost interest in Jessica Jones 2 about halfway through when there still hadn't been a villain established. I stopped watching Punisher before the first episode was done. It took me two months to finish the first two episodes of Luke Cage 2, as well. But I just finished watching the episode where they're hiding in the Rand pharmaceutical building and I'm all in. Misty Knight is the coolest and sexiest character on TV.  

• Like 2

Iron Fist s2 thoughts:

Joy's motivation re: Danny being that she realized that he is, in fact, Bob from What About Bob? and destroyed her status quo life was one of my favorite parts of the season. If anyone's not able to enjoy the character of Danny Rand at this point the problem is with you and not the creators. He's pretty much the best villain cinematic Marvel's ever come up with. We're talking Jar Jar Binks As Snoke levels of enjoyment here. Just relax and let it be and enjoy him getting his comeuppance repeatedly. He's the Dynamic Dudes getting turned on by Jim Cornette and beaten up by the MX. 

As for Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Jessica Jones S2 in general: all of them really seemed to set up the third seasons for the shows as much as anything else. I'm not saying they were treading water, because they weren't, but there's a level of serialized set up that I wasn't entirely expecting and that has me looking forward to what comes next more than I was looking forward to any of these seasons individually.

So, that Disney streaming service thing? It's apparently going to have shows about Loki, Scarlet Witch and other characters from the films. Played by the same actors and actresses that play them in the films. Marvel Studios are producing them, Feige will have hands on involvement, and "the budgets are expected to be hefty, rivaling those of a major studio productions." Each TV show will be anywhere from six to eight episodes long.

Source

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

So, that Disney streaming service thing? It's apparently going to have shows about Loki, Scarlet Witch and other characters from the films. Played by the same actors and actresses that play them in the films. Marvel Studios are producing them, Feige will have hands on involvement, and "the budgets are expected to be hefty, rivaling those of a major studio productions." Each TV show will be anywhere from six to eight episodes long.

Source

Wow.