DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

I am currently catching up a bit on the Netflix TV stuff. The last week or so I was binging through Iron Fist and was surprised that it was hated that much (37 on Metacritic, 18% at RT). Sure it's cheesy (I am not sure if this is 100% the word I am looking for) and there are some huge plotholes (for example why would the DEA believe Danny using Rand to build up a criminal empire when he was with the company for two seconds or why would Joy want to kill Danny), but at least it was never boring, something I cannot say about the second season of Daredevil that bored me to tears.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the Punisher, I'm sure the second season will be good, but seeing their take on Jigsaw makes me think that their idea for Doctor Doom would be if Doom just had an ugly birthmark on his face.

• Like 1

Only thing I've seen from the Punisher: Season One it is THAT Punisher/Russo ending of it, made me cringe. I either have the urge to watch the TV shows like both Daredevil Seasons, Agents of Shield and the Defenders straight away or not got round to them, Luke Cage Season One/Punisher Season One.

No fucking way I'm watching Iron Fist and Inhumans' first seasons.

I'm super excited for Cloak and Dagger. Early reviews have been good which is promising. I always thought this would be a perfect property for a tv show. Now, if only Netflix would pull the trigger on a proper Daughters of the Dragon series...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

First ten minutes of Cloak and Dagger ruled.I'm all aboard.

I really enjoyed it. I know people didn’t like the pace but I like that they’re taking their time. And the leads are really appealing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up S2 of Luke Cage last night. Overall I think it was better than S1. Bushmaster was a better villain than anyone from S1. The story arcs were generally solid and came to mostly good conclusions. The action was good and a noticeable step up from S1. Episode 10 gives us the absolute best Danny Rand yet in the MCU shows. It also really makes me want Power Man and Iron Fist already. Really the only thing I pretty iffy on was the S3 setup at the very end.

• Like 2

Absolutely agree with you Eivion on all points, especially the ending.  It kind of made sense in the narrative, but i thought they did a much better job in setting up

Spoiler

Pop's barbershop as the office for Heroes for Hire and Heroes for Hire in general, than Luke Cage, King of Harlem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Absolutely agree with you Eivion on all points, especially the ending.  It kind of made sense in the narrative, but i thought they did a much better job in setting up

Reveal hidden contents

Pop's barbershop as the office for Heroes for Hire and Heroes for Hire in general, than Luke Cage, King of Harlem.

Spoiler

I halfway wonder if this is a case of showrunner vs. management/producers because so much of the season and bits of interviews from the showrunner indicates he really wants to do a Heroes for Hire series with Danny and Luke.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm absolutely sick of Harlem's Paradise at this point.

Spoiler

A better ending would have been Luke actually making good on his comment about burning it down.

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I really think that the chemistry whenever Luke Cage and Danny Rand are together on screen is the only that saved Iron Fist in the MCU going forward.

That's kind of how it worked in the comics too.

19 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I really think that the chemistry whenever Luke Cage and Danny Rand are together on screen is the only that saved Iron Fist in the MCU going forward.

Iron Fist did shitty critically, but actually got tons of people watching from my understanding. It was always going to get another season. Now its just up to the current showrunner to not fuck it up. Hopefully they bring the Danny we saw in in Luke Cage S2 and not what we had before.

• Like 2

I'm also iffy on the direction for S3. I did like episode 10. It was basically a Heroes for Hire episode in the middle of the show. 

Bushmaster was good. The late Reg E Cathey was fantastic as Luke Cage's father. But this season was heavily padded. Not sure it was necessary to have a singing interlude for Tilda. That was weird. 

Didn't care for all Shades and Mariah craziness.

Shades basically manipulates her into becoming a raging, aggressive psychopath...but then betrays her because she became too much of a raging, aggressive psychopath.