DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Trish is a sociopath.

She's an addict that wound up with a drug previously established to fuck up people's heads, but took it because she's got an inferiority complex and is an addict. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

She's an addict that wound up with a drug previously established to fuck up people's heads, but took it because she's got an inferiority complex and is an addict. 

When are people ever responsible for their own bad decisions though?  Should Jessica forgive Trish for what she did because she's an addict?

She's completely responsible.

I figure eventually, yes, Jessica and her will reconcile, because it's a TV show. But, no, she doesn't deserve to just be forgiven. But she wasn't a sociopath at all. I thought it was a really strongly written arc.

• Like 1

I can't believe all of Trish's bad decisions are all derived from her mother being a batshit vampire who exploited her daughter.  She wants the attention.  She doesn't doesn't care about helping people or righting the ills of the world. She wants it to be her.  She wants the spotlight.  She wants to be the superhero. 

Even in the first season, her jumping into bed with Simpson...She wasn't hopped up on anything when that happened.  Trish is a psychopath.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I can't believe all of Trish's bad decisions are all derived from her mother being a batshit vampire who exploited her daughter.  She wants the attention.  She doesn't doesn't care about helping people or righting the ills of the world. She wants it to be her.  She wants the spotlight.  She wants to be the superhero. 

Even in the first season, her jumping into bed with Simpson...She wasn't hopped up on anything when that happened.  Trish is a psychopath.

I agree. Trish was completely mental in this and it wasn't just the drugs. The thing is I actually liked the plot because of it. Feels like a reckoning will have come to her next season.

• Like 1

If I had to rank the Netflix shows for me, it would go

1. Daredevil S1

2.  Jessica Jones Season 1(it's unbelievably close between this and DD)

3. Daredevil Season 2

4. Luke Cage(Before the villain swap 8 episodes in)

5. Punisher

5.(TIE) Jessica Jones Season 2

7. Defenders/Luke Cage AFTER villain swap)

and that other show.

Lower ranked shows doesn't mean they're bad, but the quality has been so high.  While I really enjoyed The Punisher standalone, i enjoyed him more in DD Season 2.  Also interesting to note, at least for me, that my top 2 have arguably two of the best villain portrayals in any Marvel property in Kilgrave and Kingpin.

I liked season one of Daredevil, though I also think it's over-praised.

Jessica Jones, season one, was quite good.  Thought season two was good, but weaker than S1.

Kinda lukewarm on Luke Cage.  Disliked the rest.  Didn't watch Punisher.

I'd probably watch Iron Fist again before ABC shows.  Inhumans was awful.  I have a special dislike for Agents of Shield, though, objectively, it's probably a little better than Defenders or Iron Fist.

Not really excited to see more Marvel, to be honest.

I'm admittedly not well versed in the mythos of Iron Fist, my biggest complaint was that for one of the best hand to hand combatants in the comics and the mystic aspect of it, they really didn't go into ANY of that.  The fight scenes were easily the worst Marvel has done in the TV/Movie medium.

It says a lot that the best show of his skills was his brief fight with Daredevil in Defenders.

Yeah, the fights scenes in Iron Fist weren't memorable.  Outside of casting, you would think it would be the one aspect they would want to nail.

Objectively, I think the Iron Fist could use another less serious character to bounce off of on the show; preferably one who doesn't become a love interest.  Some of his best moments  in Defenders happen during his interactions with characters like Luke and Jessica Jones. 

While Trish has been destroyed, I think Jeri has been shown a lot of love.  Her storyline is probably the least essential of everything going on, but Carrie Ann Moss gets a lot more to sink her teeth into this season and she does a great job of finding some sympathetic notes to play in Jeri without losing the rough edges that still make her difficult to like.  It's a great performance that's probably getting missed because everybody starts looking at their phone when the show cuts back to her apartment.

We're something like 10 episodes in.

Look, someone just tell me: is "personality defects" the only antagonist in this show? Has there ever been a superhero show without a villain?

I mean it's fine but it actually comes off very much like a random Bendis arc within a 60+ issue run of a comic where shit (even important shit) just happens in the life of the character he's writing about.

The secret to Iron Fist s1 is that it's What About Bob? and Danny Rand is Bob, but this feels even more narratively bonkers than that.

• Like 1

I quite liked season 2 of JJ now that I'm done it with, but man, Trish is the fucking WORST. Her mom always calling her Patti was so cringe inducing too. There were for sure some very hard decisions made though by some of the characters and I like that. There weren't many easy outs.

I still like Daredevil S1, JJ S1, and the Punisher more, but it was still pretty good. Better than the Defenders, which if it didn't have any Iron Fist in it, would have been much better than it was.

• Like 1

I finished JJ season 2 last night, and I'd say I'm mixed-positive on it.  It definitely had it's problems, but it kept me watching all the way through, which is more than can be said for the Iron Fist, Punisher, and Luke Cage shows.  And I might have liked it a lot more if they had actually followed through with the climax they had been building to instead of...

Trish doing a preposterous run-in to kill Jessica's mom.  They built half the season around Jessica dithering on what to do about her mom, building to her having to make a final decision, only to have Trish let her off the hook.  You can't do that.

And don't get me started on the absurdity of Trish hitting THAT shot.  I know she's all about her guns and she's hopped up on powers, but holy shit, the balls you have to have to shoot at a moving target that far above you at night 3 feet away from your best friend that you're "helping."

I think it ultimately proved to be a smart choice on their part not to try to top Kilgrave with another big villain antagonist.  Even thought that approach was often problematic (see: Trish turned into a psychopath because it somehow fell to her to create much of the conflict in lieu of a villain), I think it left more room to double down on Jessica as a character (Ritter takes it to another level this season) and it definitely didn't feel like a "been there, done that" retread of the first season.

That said, episode 11 was clearly the most entertaining episode of the season, and well...You only need one guess why.  A great villain, even a hallucination of one, is worth it's weight in gold.

Of course, the tricky part of coming up an with an adversary or conflict on this show is that it has to be both grounded enough to fit into the street-level world they've created but also something big enough that Jessica can't just punch it into oblivion in 3 episodes and call it a day.  To that end, I think what they came up with this season was kind of ingenious: a problem that Jessica probably could and should punch into oblivion but desperately doesn't want to.  I'll be interested to see what they come up with next time.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'm going to agree with you on the abursidity of the execution, however, I think the "run in" was a perfect cap to the season.  Jessica had been wrestling all season with what to do about her mom and that choice was taken away.  She blamed herself for the accident, and now she'll blame herself for not getting her mom out of the country or killing her before Trish could.  It was perfectly put when she told Trish "It didn't have to be you".  JJ knew she was the one that had to make the choice and once again something was taken from her.  It does tie in with the comment about "personality defects" being the antagonists of the show, but I could see next season being the relationship between JJ/Trish as Trish becomes Hellcat and conflict there.  JJ does seem like they could be one without primary villains, because let's be honest, you're not following Kilgrave.  I realize my thoughts were convoluted, but I'm sitting in a Dr's office on my phone currently, lol

Would you want it to end positively?  I mean, from a drama standpoint, the only way to salvage anything resembling a (mildly) happy would have been through bad writing and some completely out of left field deus ex machina twist.

I'm not necessarily saying that I WANT it to end positively, just pointing out that all roads are basically closed off, which a) gives a sense of nihilism to all of it and b ) is relatively unique for a show such as this. All that said, I'm not sure where my emotional investment is at this point. Thinks can seem inevitable in retrospect or things can twist at the end and go that way. It's rare to have a show like this where there are no good possibilities with two episodes left.

I remember Bryan Fuller giving an interview after season 2 of HANNIBAL where he said something to the effect of how, in his opinion, the best stories are the ones where the characters are hurtling toward inevitable doom and you, as the viewer, know that everbody is just going to get wrecked in the end if they can't get off the path that they're on.  Something terrible is going to happen that will change them forever -- if they survive it at all -- it's just a matter of how and when.  That's his ideal form of narrative tension. 

S2 of JJ is definitely that kind of story.

• Like 1