DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

I think what I liked most about this is that it just felt like a TV show, where the comic-book aspects take something of a back seat. Sure, powers may be at the root of the worst things here, but these are all people so fundamentally broken that they'd make other, equally self-destructive choices without any help  (and frequently do, as we routinely see in flashbacks).

Still don't feel like Marvel TV has got its groove back since the double decker shit sandwich of IF and Defenders, though. 

I like Daredevil's first season and I think Charlie Cox usually does a good job portraying the character even if the writing gets tedious at times.   Luke Cage is likable character and his season wasn't perfect, but I'll give the 2nd season another shot.  With that out of the way, Jessica Jones is the most interesting character out of the four to me.  Defenders put them altogether with a mediocre plot, which largely focus on Iron Fist's and Daredevil's backstories, and she still was the one that stood out. 

As for these Marvel/Netflix series, I think they need a jolt.  I haven't watch Jessica Jones yet, which may be a sign in itself, but the last couple of series have been losing me.  At the very least, these shows don't feel like appointment television right now.

To date, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the only Marvel TV show that betters its first season. Daredevil Season Two and Agent Carter Season Two are a step down in quality from their first series. Granted Daredevil Season One and Agent Carter Season One set such a high standard. I still feel Daredevil Season One is the best live action of any Marvel property ever.

Not started Jessica Jones Season Two yet though I will see it. I either do or don't watch Marvel Netflix shows, depends on my interest.

3 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

IF and Defenders were pretty terrible, but the one positive I can take out of that all is the fact that IF and Luke Cage had tremendous chemistry

I thought everything up to and including the Chinese restaurant scene in Defenders was really good, and then it totally fell off a cliff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I agree completely. 

I honestly don't know why they have to do Season 2's of Luke Cage or Iron Fist when you can flesh both out together in one awesome Heroes for Hire series!

That's the way I'd go about it.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I probably won't get round to seeing Luke Cage Season One and the Punisher Season One.

No way am I putting time into Iron Fist Season One even for completest sake.

You should check out both Punisher and Luke Cage. Neither are perfect, but they are worth watching. I think Cage is good.

1 hour ago, _MJ_ said:

Netflix still haven't confirmed a season 2 of Defenders and Krysten Ritter didn't sound confident about it happening in a recent interview. 

Because according to her it wasn't intended to be more than a one time thing.

46 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I honestly don't know why they have to do Season 2's of Luke Cage or Iron Fist when you can flesh both out together in one awesome Heroes for Hire series!

Well we know Danny is in Luke Cage S2. It wouldn't surprise me if they headed that direction as it goes on.

• Like 1

We're halfway through season 2 of JJ and we're both liking it quite a bit so far. A few comments and observations...

I find myself loving the dynamic with...

Spoiler

Jessica and her mom. Jessica needs to lay off a bit.

Along with that...

Spoiler

Jessica is really annoying me with how little of a fair shake she's giving her mom. Jessica suddenly has a conscience about killing people? I get that she's haunted by killing Luke Cage's girlfriend, but how many dudes did Jessica and the rest of the gang kill during the Defenders? It's not like her mom is really in control of that shit too, which is something Jessica should be able to identify. Also, jesus, it's pretty clear the doctor isn't a bad guy and was actually trying to help, but I can't tell if the show is trying to make you, the viewer, feel like he is a bad guy or if they want you to feel conflicted.

I really dislike Trish this season.

I really like Malcolm this season. In fact, I wouldn't mind a spinoff with just Malcolm.

Price is the most annoying shitheel.

Anyway, I do like now knowing what direction we're going in at this point. There's multiple possibilities and I kinda like that.

Hey guys, AoS #100 sucked. I'm kind of disappointed in that milestone episode.

Also, JJ S2 isn't as good as the first, but I'll watch S2, Iron Fist & the Defenders on a constant loop before I ever go and try to re-watch Daredevil.

That's like going to a one-star Michelin rated restaurant, ordering the prime rib, and saying, "This isn't rare enough. Can you just take this back and give me 18 cases of ice cream sandwiches topped with gummy bears instead"?

Having that opinion of DD is understandable - I've seen people bash the side characters and their jokiness, the fact that DD is doing the GreenArrow/Batman-only-Red-and-Blind-and-Marvel act, that the characterization of Elektra is all wrong, etc. Not that I agree with them, but I understand them. I can understand other criticisms, too. IF & Defenders were written wholly around the premise of "Danny is a moron", the plots made no sense, the character arcs made even less sense, the fight scenes were by-and-large an embarrassment; these are not criticisms you can level at DD to the same degree. You may think it sucks but there's no world where it sucked more than the other 2 shows.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Hey guys, AoS #100 sucked. I'm kind of disappointed in that milestone episode.

I enjoyed it, but as a 100th episode it definitely left a decent amount to be desired. The highlights were easily the return of a certain cyborg and the wedding.

• Like 1

They mentioned the scenario of everything that's happened in AoS being a death hallucination for Coulson and I was pretty disappointed that wasn't the case, to be honest. That would have been a hell of a reveal for the 100th episode, but then it was just another fear projection and Hive did a run-in that lasted 4 seconds and then the wedding happened and it ended. Just seemed like a rushed episode to me.

The way Fitz kept talking about reality and space, I figured the three monoliths getting destroyed would somehow create the last Infinity Stone. But at this point I'm just desperate for a connection to the larger MCU now.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Because according to her it wasn't intended to be more than a one time thing.

If Defenders had produced the same kind of buzz Daredevil did after its initial season, I'll bet you this "intended to be an one time thing" wouldn't matter and we would have been making predictions about the season two villain right about now.

I liked it. Including Trish. 

Not as much as season 1 (which might be the best Marvel adaptation ever, full stop) but I think it was probably only behind that and DD season one for Marvel Netflix. (Caveat that I still haven't watched Punisher)

• Like 1