DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

I'm surprised how much they foregrounded that.

Here's my thing right now, tagged just in case

the adults are spectacularly more interesting here for the same reason one of the core ideas of the book is absent: they aren't super villains. Most of them aren't even evil, and the ones that are, are much more grounded real world evil. That is absolutely great for those characters, who had very little personality in the comics, etc.

But for the kids... We've lost THE hook of the series. "Every kid at some point thinks their parents are evil. But what if they actually were" so now we're stuck with a bunch of extremely privileged kids with complicated families that are not running away. Hell, two of them seemed to be building new, closer relationships with a parent (at least until the end of this one.)

Every time Alex talks about "we have to bring them down" it feels almost out of place, because nobody else is really trying to. 

And since the Yorkes aren't time traveling despots, and the Deans aren't would be alien conquers, and the Wilders have a criminal past but they aren't running all street crime in L.A. and the Hernandez parents are dead but presumably definitely weren't ostracized mutants, and though the Steins are scientists (and Victor is a horrible person) they aren't mad scientists, and the Minorus are dark wizards, they're software engineers...

It makes them better characters, they made a choice to work for Jonah and found themselves somewhere terrible, and stuck, not one note super villains. But it's stalled the momentum of the kids story in a lot of ways.

Okay that was a lot of bitching about a show in actually really digging.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the episode, but I'm kind of with Matt on that ending being oversold.

Folwer also kind of stated my biggest problem with the show. The parents are much more interesting, but the kids and core idea/s of the story have kind of suffered for it.

Funny thing is I loved the scene over that, but the ending took away tons of impact from it. A lot of the character work before that was really great. And I love the Yorkes way too much.

I'm starting to hear complaints about Nico not being likable or attractive enough to warrant the interest from Alex and Karolina in some places. I don't buy that, personally, but it's there. I have some complaints about Gert and Molly myself (Though the extra infusion of OL helped tons for me).

I still really like this show and will atch it like clockwork, but some of the shows flaws are showing much more now.

We watch every week and enjoy it enough but it’s definitely just a show to me. You guys are more into it than me. But then I only ever just liked the comic. It always felt like “superhero comics for people who are embarrassed by superhero comics” to me.

• Like 1

I caught up on RUNAWAYS over the holidays, and it's a show I want to like more than I actually do.  The first four episodes are terrific, but by the middle part of the season, they're clearly running out of excuses not to have the Runaways actually run away and smart plotting gets sacrificed for melodrama.  I feel like the episode where they did Parent Day at the school was really the nadir, where you could REALLY see the show straining to keep all these characters together.

And the most recent episode basically did the same annoying thing in both the kids and parents' stories, where they presented the characters with this big point of conflict where they were going to have to make a tough decision, only to have someone destroy it at the last minute, basically rendering the whole affair pointless besides creating more melodrama to fill another episode.

I think it would help if there was a real standout character or performance being given, but with 18 prominent characters in basically every episode, nobody's really given enough time to stand out.

As it is, it's just good enough to keep watching, but not compelling enough that I'm breathlessly awaiting the last 2 episodes.  Still, that's a lot better than most of Netflix's recent Marvel output.

It definitely needs to hit the finale really well to justify it.

Julian McMahon and James Marsters have both been fucking incredible with what they get, but, as mentioned, there are too many to characters for a couple great performances to completely carry things.

As for Nico's relative hotness... I'm way too old to even have an opinion. She's a kid.

Yeah, i think the show has potential, but it's not urgent viewing for me.  Writing has been decent - and often, very good - but there are just too many characters to work with

I feel like the finale is going to/has to include some sort of twist that will turn the show on it's ear, something that will make the kids leave and become "runaways" while at the same time getting the audience behind them.  The most logical turn would be to reveal the parents as the sort of supervillians they are in the comic.  But, they've done a great job building the parents up as interesting, somewhat sympathetic characters that I'm not sure how easily it would be to get to that point.  Right now, the parents generally come off as flawed but concerned about their kids' lives, and the kids come off as teenage drama kings and queens).

From what I've seen on Reddit there are a bunch. Even have separate places for people who read the comics and didn't.

10 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

If you've never read the comic, that'a a really whiny group of ingrate kids.

I mean, they watched there parents murder a teenager, and now have evidence they have done it multiple times. What reaction would you expect from someone who found that out?

Thoughts on Episode 9

Most likable Gert has been all season. Quite enjoyed the hateful bitch line. 

The ending has me hyped fucking up. Good job there.

Karolina has 3 parents and they are all fucking awful. 

I won't get TOO far into the Karolina/Nico scene, as even I feel it was kinda underdeveloped, but fuck it, if it happens in comics now I'll be pretty damned happy.

Also, no way Alex is traitor. No way any of them are traitors. If anyone filled the "traitor" quota, it's Frank