DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Katie is 11 in the latest comic.  Alex is called 19 by Reed prior to joining the FF, but is still drawn like he's going to his first prom.  Julie looks in her mid-20s.

When the comic began, Alex was 12, Julie 11, Jack was 8, and Katie was 5.

Power Pack's timeline is more confusing than U.N.I.T.

10 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

No, it's a Marvel problem. If Alex Power is 19 and Kitty Pryde is in her mid-twenties... why is Franklin Richards still prepubescent?

Because it fits the stories better and really only hurts things if you let it?

• Like 4

Hell, I had no idea Frank had been aged up to 10.  He'll always be 4 1/2 to me.

Speaking of artist problems, Phil Noto drawing Valeria Richards as a 12-14 year old when she's supposed to be 6 tops is a bit of a problem.

Runaways_1_Noto_Variant.jpg

ETA: See? I tied it back to Runaways!

20 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Hell, I had no idea Frank had been aged up to 10.  He'll always be 4 1/2 to me.

Speaking of artist problems, Phil Noto drawing Valeria Richards as a 12-14 year old when she's supposed to be 6 tops is a bit of a problem.

Runaways_1_Noto_Variant.jpg

ETA: See? I tied it back to Runaways!

I think the issue with Val is mainly that she's so young to begin with. While there's some real, off-putting dissonance with a character that young being that smart, and they played that up at times, they really wanted her to be a few years older and they should have just ran with that.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:43 PM, El Dragon said:

On the Molly front, the biggest problem was that they always had her act much younger then she actually was. She was 12 in comics but routinely was portrayed more as a 8 year old.

The Avengers Academy two parter was specifically bad in this regard.

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Runaways is definitely not a straight adaptation and in some ways I really love that. Because I have no clue what's gonna happen next.

I'm wondering just how much it might diverge.

This imo was the best thing they could have done. The ton eand characters feel right, but the story is new enough that I'm still incredibly compelled about the direction there going.

The only thing I feel like is 100% certainly staying the same is Karolina. But the other major plot twists are both being set up, and also not being set up at all depending on how you look at it.

I mean, some of it is staying the same with her, but then there's that guy.

I just wish they dropped all of them at once like Netflix cause some guy bullied me into watching it before I could binge them all at once.

I'm enjoying it, in general. I think the actress for Gert is well cast but not actually a very good actress. Karolina's is pretty good, on the other hand. Chase's hair bugs me more than it should. I've moved on past Molly and now find the weirdest thing the fact that it's so distant from any version of the MU. I get why, but I think there's been more references to Star Wars than to anything to do with Marvel. 

Right off the bat, one of the biggest advantages it has is that the parents are all real characters instead of caricatures like they were in the comics. It immediately doubles the depth of the story.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, Matt D said:

I'm enjoying it, in general. I think the actress for Gert is well cast but not actually a very good actress. Karolina's is pretty good, on the other hand. Chase's hair bugs me more than it should. I've moved on past Molly and now find the weirdest thing the fact that it's so distant from any version of the MU. I get why, but I think there's been more references to Star Wars than to anything to do with Marvel. 

Right off the bat, one of the biggest advantages it has is that the parents are all real characters instead of caricatures like they were in the comics. It immediately doubles the depth of the story.

Just to continue this from the new episode regarding the acting

Yeah, the acting from everything from Karolina today was on fucking point. Her affection for Nico, her "uhhhh" reaction to Chase kissing her. I honestly think the "Will they Won't they" between Nico and Karolina could carry this show for a pretty long while

• Like 1

I love the fact that I don't know where things are going. 

I'm not sure I like the idea that

The Staff of One is science, not magic.

The big CGI moment had some really bad compositing. But TV budget, and not even Netflix or HBO TV, so you get what you get.

Julian McMahon is so much better here than the last times he did Marvel. Things are popping.

So I guess The Runaways are never going to be actual runaways.

• Like 1