DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

The Punisher makes a major misstep by right after the prologue by regressing Frank yet again.  What happened to his family was a calculated conspiracy instead of just victims of a random crime.  

Also way too many characters and subplots.  The Madani character and her investigation suck the air out of the show whenever she's on.  She was clearly forced.  Amber Rose Revah's performance was also weak.  Her American accent is abysmal. I don't get why right from the start they are shoving this character's whole backstory and family life down our throats.  Her mom is Shohreh Aghdashloo and some hotshot shrink.  Well to do immigrant family and all that.  Nothing felt gradual or natural about this character.  By comparison, Frank's relationship with Karen felt more natural and organic. 

Not to mention, Frank is going out into public and interacting with Micro's family without any mind that he was publicly in the news in New York and a notorious fugitive.  

A pointless subplot with the Wilson character.  It belongs in a different show.  This character only has an indirect connection with Frank. They really overwrote this show. Too many characters and too many subplots. 

Jon Bernthal is definitely great at this character, but after the first six episodes I'm disappointed.  I'm fine that they wanted to make a grounded and gritty show.  But I think they over-complicated Frank's story.

• Sad 1

I’m only up to E8 of Punisher and I’m loving every second of it so far. I’ve got no complaints other than it’s going to end soon and I really don’t want it to. That’s all that I ask of a TV show - if I’m close to the end of a season and I’m still wanting more, then I’m happy. If I’m begging for it to end after a few episodes, I know it’s probably not for me.

I’m not sure where it ranks yet, but it’s definitely ahead of everything besides Jessica Jones, so it’s either my favorite or #2. Depends on how these next 5 or 6 episodes go and how the season ends. Agent Orange isn’t a “best ever” villain, and he’s certaintly no Kingpin, but for just a regular ol’ villain he’s not the worst thing Marvel TV has produced.

Hopefully this side story about the young vet leads somewhere and maybe ties into the overall storyline, otherwise it’s just kind of there for a reason I’m not entirely sure of.

The place the Lewis Wilson goes is stupid and badly written.

So where do you go after that ending?  So government lets Frank go.  Frank gets a fresh start and is going to group therapy and quits being Punisher for the second time this season.  What kind of ending is that?  That's something you maybe do for a final episode of a long running series.

I could not stand the soap opera garbage with Micro's family. Everything that happened with the family was telegraphed.

Watched the first episode of PUNISHER last night, and it was...fine.  Mostly because Jon Bernthal is a magnetic screen presence who can make pretty much anything compelling.

But, man, you can already tell this is another one of those Netflix shows that takes for granted that you're just going to watch this straight through and is just kinda content to meander around and take their sweet time coming to a point.  Like, I don't think anybody got excited about a Bernthal Punisher series becasue they wanted 2 mintues of Punisher action followed by a 45 minutes of Frank silently sledgehammering concrete and having sandwiches and some random FBI agent having wine with her mother.

Again, it's almost like whoever is in charge of these shows is ashamed of comic book characters, so they insist that the 1st episode of every series features the characters doing the most banal, slice-of-life type stuff they can think of, so the audience will know these characters are "deeper" than regular super heroes.

• Like 1

So, when does Season 2 start? I'm fucking ready for more. I don't know what all of you guys are on about - I'm no TV critic and I don't analyze everything and I'm not looking for fan service, so this show was pretty much note perfect. Micro and the stuff with his family was really sweet, I thought. Sign me up for more adventures of Micro & The Punisher, please.

The only thing I didn't like, the entire season, was the episode at the hotel where it kept showing everybody's whereabouts at different times of the day and connected it at the end. I hate that shit.

I didn't mind the normal, beginning of the first episode.  It showed him finally ending the lives of those that were involved from Daredevil Season 2 and then trying to settle in.  It made sense.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between Frank and Micro.

I went into this blind and didn't realize that

Spoiler

Jigsaw was in this.  I may have been slow on the uptake, lol, but it wasn't until Frank mentioned Billy The Beaut that I put two and two together and in the back of my mind, I waited all goddamn season for his face to get mangled.  Towards the end, I was worried that they weren't going to go through with it this season and then in the finale, i got what I wanted and it was extremely satisfying.  Ben Barnes played a compelling villain IMO and I liked him being retconned here to a friend of Castles.  Glad they telegraped what will pull Frank back in, once again with the bandaged Russo in the hospital bed.  I always liked Jigsaw as a character.

• Like 1

Just finished Punisher. Thought it was 6-8 episode story dragged out to 13. The Micro family stuff even when done well just didn't feel necessary to the extent it was used. Didn't hate Madani, but I never really cared for her either. I did dig Barnes as Russo and Curtis. Not sure about the ending itself. Even with the complaints I dug it a decent deal. Still would put it behind DD S1, JJ, & Luke Cage. I really hope Marvel/Netflix smarten up and either realize these shows don't need a full 13 episodes or to start using a two arc system for them.

• Like 1

Not everyone has a problem with the 13 episodes, though. I could have watched 22 episodes of this and I would be just as satisfied. But, on the flip side, I couldn't even stomach 6 episodes of Daredevil or Luke Cage before I got super fucking bored, so I guess it depends on the person and the character(s) the show revolves around.

The only show that dragged through the 13 episodes for me was Iron Fist, but that seems to be across the board so I'm not out of the norm.

Jessica Jones is still my favorite of the Netflix shows, but this is up there.

But then again, that's probably because I'm a hard drinking (formerly), Private Investigator (currently) haha.

• Like 1

I'm through 5 episodes of the Punisher and I'm really digging it. I like the tragic tale of Frank Castle and showing how badly PTSD and personal tragedy have permanently fucked him up. I'm enjoying the B-story (I guess it's the B-story) of Madani investigating the murder of Zubair and how that ties into what Frank did. I like Micro and his family shit as well. To me, there's an interesting conflict there as Micro's family gives Frank everything he's missing, but Micro isn't dead and what's worse, Micro has to watch this all go down and can't do much of anything without exposing himself. I want to see more of that play out.

And of course when we do get a nugget of an action sequence it's awesome. I just wish there were more of those.

By the way, I'm watching this with closed captioning on just because it's hard to make out what's being said through all of the mumbling and this is the first time a Netflix Marvel show has dropped an f-bomb. What's more, Micro says "fuck" twice in the same scene. I guess they figured that if they're going to show multiple people getting capped in the fucking head, spraying brain everywhere, then what is a fuck or two going to hurt.

My Marvel Netflix anticipation varies. I didn't have an interest in Daredevil Season One till the universal acclaim and then I had to see it ASAP. I got through Jessica Jones Season One fairly quickly, Daredevil Season Two more than any of them. Didn't have an urge to see Luke Cage Season One and even less Iron Fist. Still not seen them. I watched Defenders over a couple of days and no Punisher either yet (though I have been busy) even with Frank Castle as one of the things I did like in the second season of Daredevil and the awesome trailers for Punisher's solo series.

From the ones I have, Daredevil Season One remains the better paced of Marvel Netflix. Some dragged to fill the run. I go to 12 episodes and maybe fewer still, 10 perhaps?

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Just finished Punisher. Thought it was 6-8 episode story dragged out to 13. The Micro family stuff even when done well just didn't feel necessary to the extent it was used. Didn't hate Madani, but I never really cared for her either. I did dig Barnes as Russo and Curtis. Not sure about the ending itself. Even with the complaints I dug it a decent deal. Still would put it behind DD S1, JJ, & Luke Cage. I really hope Marvel/Netflix smarten up and either realize these shows don't need a full 13 episodes or to start using a two arc system for them.

LOL. Seen this only after I posted mine. I'll echo the two arc system. Breaking them up into smaller chapters worked a treat in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D's fourth season with Ghost Rider, LMD and What If? Definitely the best season of the show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Not everyone has a problem with the 13 episodes, though. I could have watched 22 episodes of this and I would be just as satisfied. But, on the flip side, I couldn't even stomach 6 episodes of Daredevil or Luke Cage before I got super fucking bored, so I guess it depends on the person and the character(s) the show revolves around.

I don't think any of the shows have dragged too terribly. Even Iron Fist was more a problem of bad writing in general opposed to being too long. I just think some of these could use tighter stories and plotting.

Finished E8 of The Punisher over the weekend.  Took a long time to get to the bullets but the ultra violence was very cathartic. 

Micro is a bit of a dick, isn't he?  I totally get why he's a dick but It'd be nice if one of our anti-heroes wasn't so anti-heroic.

Frank as homicidal broken family man is way more subdued than he should be.  There should be rivers of blood running through NYC.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, TheVileOne said:

I've wanted a Moon Knight show for years, now I almost fear what they will do to Moon Knight if they finally make it.

DC-TV-on-CW-Arrow-Season-5.jpeg

Counterpoint: The Lemire Moon Knight series was one of Marvel's best 2-3 comics of the last few years and would make a very easy Netflix show. It leaned into the confusion brilliantly. It went the opposite route of the Robinson Hawkman comic from the early 00s.. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

At this point Punisher is the Batman of the Marvel Universe.  Moon Knight is Hawkman.  Too many reboots have made him unreadable.

Actually Pre 52 Red Hood is arguably as close as DC got to The Punisher.

Moon Knight would be Batman before Marc got his lunar powers and would be super strong Green Arrow after becoming the Fist of Khonshu.