DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

First full Inhumans review by IGN rips it (quotes taken from comicbookmovie.com):

This might sound like the MCU’s version of Game of Thrones, and it certainly had the potential to be with its superhero monarchy and plays for power, but the show is a disappointment on every level. The costumes and makeup look like a group of friends decided to do Inhumans cosplay the day before Comic-Con. The royal palace, a main setting, looks like a warehouse on the outside and is full of bland, forgettable spaces on the inside. The clunky dialogue sounds like a first draft, not the sharp material you’d expect from the MCU. 

Unfortunately, launching Inhumans as an IMAX movie does more harm than good. The story simply doesn’t have the scope, scale, or polish to make use of such a bold format, and it shows. Even though the IMAX version is supposed to be presented as a movie, it still includes episode recap flashbacks halfway through, making me wonder if the editor didn’t get the memo.

Iwan Rheon’s Maximus is Diet Loki, the jealous, scheming brother of King Black Bolt, but he's given such insidious dialogue and direction that his motivations are immediately obvious. (Also, there’s one scene in particular where it seems no one on set pointed out that Rheon’s accent was coming through.) The few action scenes we find the characters in are filled with unimpressive visual effects and tepid choreography. Not even Lockjaw, the obscenely cute, giant, teleporting dog is enough to make you want to sit through another episode.

Inhumans is bad from top to bottom. Try as it might, the show does not live up to the Marvel brand. It is most definitely not worth seeing in IMAX, and I wouldn’t recommend catching it on TV either. 4/10

I didn't mind what he did with Iron Fist, but I'll never forgive the man for what he did to Dexter when he was showrunner. Good enough as a writer on that show, he was a co-writer of one of my favorite episodes of Dexter, but.... yeah, he drove that show into the ground when he got to take control. It was already headed in that direction, but he sped it up.

Surely with him being removed from Iron Fist S2, and the overwhelming negative reviews of Inhumans, Marvel won't be working with him again. But Marvel TV makes weird choices sometimes, so...

On 8/31/2017 at 4:11 PM, EVA said:

I think my Netflix rankings would be:

1. Jessica Jones

2. Daredevil 1

3. Daredevil 2: all the Punisher/Kingpin stuff

4. Luke Cage: the Cottonmouth half

5. Defenders

6. Daredevil 2: all the Hand stuff

7. Luke Cage: the Diamondback half

DIE IN A FIRE: Iron Fist

Swap numbers 1 and 2, and you'd have my list. Luke Cage killed off Cottonmouth WAY too early and Mariah/Diamondback were just awful by comparison. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, TheVileOne said:

Inhumans.  What a blithering waste of imax format.  Scott Buck is the worst Marvel TV producer in history.  

Currently has a perfect score of 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The hate is universal.

So, Scott Buck adds this to the final season of Dexter and Season One of Iron Fist in the "shit I have personally ruined beyond belief" column.

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You're right, great trailer. Highlight:

Reveal hidden contents

One by Metallica.

Spoiler

I love how the song is woven in throughout the trailer with a slow burn and when the shit hits the fan: DARKNESS, IMPRISONING ME.  Doesn't hurt that it's my favorite Metallica song, too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FireThunder said:

Hide contents

I love how the song is woven in throughout the trailer with a slow burn and when the shit hits th[e fan: DARKNESS, IMPRISONING ME.  Doesn't hurt that it's my favorite Metallica song, too.

Mine as well!

• Like 1