DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, TheVileOne said:

After The Defenders, I really never want to see The Hand on TV again. 

The show was good right up until the third act.  The Hand's master plan was dumb.  Black Sky was dumb and served no actual purpose.

Black Sky serves a purpose, just not the Alexandra wanted it to serve.  The dumb thing about Black Sky is that the writers are being deliberately obtuse in explaining exactly what is going on.

Spoiler

Black Sky was Alexandra's way of gaining a semblance of immortality. 

I think she believed she fulfilled the prophecy herself (ie. Black Sky incarnates will serve as the Hand's leadership ergo Alexandra who has been resurrected multiple times) but Elektra, or the entity using Elektra's animated corpse, thinks otherwise.

It's plainly evident though that Elektra is not really Elektra anymore since she symbolically chose another weapon over the sai she once favored

Finished the Defenders yesterday. I right enjoyed it for the interactions between the group of the show's name. Daredevil MVP. Iron Fist, oof.   

Best Netflix show since Jessica Jones: Season One with Daredevil: Season One on top spot.

Will likely say more when back on my computer.

I mercifully finished DEFENDERS this afternoon.  If it had been 13 episodes, there's no way I would've made it.  I think these Netflix shows are just fundamentally broken at this point.  I can only hope that Melissa Rosenberg is able to keep things on track for Jessica Jones season 2.

Danny wildly swinging around the Iron Fist in a location where he KNOWS the Hand needs him to use the Iron Fist set a new standard for superhero stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I mercifully finished DEFENDERS this afternoon.  If it had been 13 episodes, there's no way I would've made it.  I think these Netflix shows are just fundamentally broken at this point.  I can only hope that Melissa Rosenberg is able to keep things on track for Jessica Jones season 2.

Danny wildly swinging around the Iron Fist in a location where he KNOWS the Hand needs him to use the Iron Fist set a new standard for superhero stupidity.

It does, but I think this show helped itself a lot by repeatedly acknowledging that Danny is dumber than a bag of hammers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Danny's stupidity is a feature. The sooner people come to grips with that, the more fun they'll have with this stuff.

It's What About Bob?

I don't think it was in Iron Fist. I think it was supposed to be gullibility and naivete and that he was raised by monks who were good people and still a lost little boy at heart blah blah blah

In Defenders... Yup, he's just dumb.

• Like 1

I'm not a comic book guy so maybe I don't have context for this, but ... The five super powered immortal ninjas had to find the BLACK SKY because...reasons. And it turns out the black sky is...also a super powered immortal ninjas? Why did they need her? What did she add that the five of them didn't already have?

Eh I hated the Hand parts of DD season two and couldn't make it through Iron Fist so I didn't expect to like this. It was pretty bad, and the dialogue at times was dire.

"I'm a key? A key for what? Like...to open something???? That's impossible!" 

Jesus Christ...

• Like 1

I think the biggest crime the Hand committed, beyond their idiotic plots, was the fact that between the 5 of them (6 including Elektra) they had not a single personality.  Most boring clan of mystical ninjas of all time.

Poor Sigourney Weaver was just completely lost at sea.  Pretty much any time she was in a scene dealing with the mystical mumbo jumbo, she had this look on her face like she was trying REALLY HARD to remember her lines because she couldn't bear to read the shitty script twice.

• Like 1

My longer thoughts on the Defenders…I enjoyed the Defenders mainly for the interactions between the group. Daredevil was the MVP, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage stand out. Iron Fist however for the wrong reasons, he’s the weak link in performance and people pointing out his ineptitude in story. I really liked Colleen Wong, his friend. She’s better than he is. Hopefully the Hand is handled (ugh at pun) here for the final time. A flashback to Alexandra’s past would have been appreciated like the Kingpin’s most memorably and Kilgrave.

Where do the Defenders place among the Netflix shows I’ve seen? Daredevil: Season One is clearly on top followed by Jessica Jones Season One. Daredevil Season Two had higher highs with Daredevil/the Kingpin/the Punisher but Elektra/the Hand story strand brought the series down. I’d have the Defenders above it seeing the characters come together, their reactions to one another and I prefer the Hand here. As noted, I’m hopeful this is the last of them. Shame Steven DeKnight isn’t back. I wonder how Daredevil: Season Two and the Defenders would have turned out. Going by Daredevil Season One, both would be an improvement.

Do you prefer the longer 13 episode run or 8? For me that depends on pacing, only Daredevil Season One has managed it. Jessica Jones: Season One went on a little too long as did Daredevil: Season Two. Daredevil Season Two was too stuffed. I felt the Defenders took a little while to get going considering it only had 8 episodes. I think I’d go for 10-12 though again, it’s how the time is managed.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Why not, for fun:

6. Iron Fist

5. Daredevil Season 2

4. Luke Cage

3. The Defenders

2. Daredevil Season 1

1. Jessica Jones

4. Daredevil Season Two.

3. The Defenders

2. Jessica Jones Season One

1. Daredevil: Season One

I'd like to see Luke Cage at some point. The main criticism I see of it is:

Great first half but the second half with a change in baddie really drops the ball.

I'm still torn on watching Defenders.  I don't want to waste my time with Iron Fist because life's too short.  How much of a role does he play in Defenders?  Is he a background character or a central focus?  I'm hoping the other three are the focus otherwise I might just pass on this.

And 8 episodes is ideal for me.  I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage a ton, but felt it reached it's peak around episode 8 or 9.  Once it went to the last few episodes it lost some steam but was still really enjoyable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm still torn on watching Defenders.  I don't want to waste my time with Iron Fist because life's too short.  How much of a role does he play in Defenders?  Is he a background character or a central focus?  I'm hoping the other three are the focus otherwise I might just pass on this.

And 8 episodes is ideal for me.  I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage a ton, but felt it reached it's peak around episode 8 or 9.  Once it went to the last few episodes it lost some steam but was still really enjoyable.

With you on all this. Iron Fist is a key part of the Defenders story but you've got Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage to help yourself through it so that overcomes the IF negative. It's fun how the story points out what a f'n dumbass he is. Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Iron Fist could plausibly be called the lead.

But it's not bad. It's not great, but it doesn't have time to run out of steam like Luke Cage or DD S2 did.

He's the dipshit macguffin. 

Get with the program.

• Haha 1

I think my Netflix rankings would be:

1. Jessica Jones

2. Daredevil 1

3. Daredevil 2: all the Punisher/Kingpin stuff

4. Luke Cage: the Cottonmouth half

5. Defenders

6. Daredevil 2: all the Hand stuff

7. Luke Cage: the Diamondback half

DIE IN A FIRE: Iron Fist