DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

So, that Defenders ending.

Spoiler

Sister Maggie?  Matt's mom is in the show?

I like the idea of the show having a villain that isn't in the comics so that no one can bitch about aesthetics or loyalty to comic book metaplots.

Iron Fist still enrages me by not wearing a kung fu outfit.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, I did not expect that ending. 

Reveal hidden contents

Maggie!!!!

This was really good, the best of the Netflix shows since Jessica Jones.

Now with 100% more correct thread!

About halfway through they actually all four team up.

The one thing I really disliked was:

Luke Cage's prison sentence basically getting the "how much black magic did father have to use" Thor treatment of hand waving away the consequences of his own story so we could get to the team up story.

• Like 1

Defenders is... not terrible but not good. I was so fucking sick of Th Hand by the end of DD S2 that amking thme the focus in Defenders made me almost say "oh fuck this shit!".

Elektra was easily the worst part of DD S2. I'd so gladly let them do away with that crap and give me a proper Bullseye arc over anything to do with Elektra

Overall Defenders is a solid thumbs in middle slightly turning down for me

James

• Like 1

Halfway through the Defenders. I'm liking it more than @J.H. but I'm also tired of the Hand. Elektra/the Hand was my least favourite thing about Daredevil: Season Two. Daredevil's first season was so much better with the writing focusing on Daredevil vs. Kingpin's origins instead of cramming everything into Season Two. Better performances in Daredevil: Season One as well.

15 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

So, how long did it take them to actually team up?  I've heard reports that Matt/Jess don;t even meet until episode 3.

The team up is near the end of episode #3. Matt and Jess meet in episode #2's ending.

I really don't have any complaints with this.  Loved the fight scenes, actually thought they did a fair shake with Iron Fist, trying to really hammer home he was the youngest of them, not only in age but mentally and emotionally.  The chemistry was really well done between Cage/Iron Fist IMO and now I want them to have goddamn Heroes for Hire.

Also, on aside.....have they built up Daredevil to be the most competent fighter in the MCU....I realize that the Netflix and MCU are different mediums currently, but I feel like hand to hand he is more "competent" than anyone presented thus far, despite being non super-powered.

I enjoyed Defenders. It wasn't great but it was decent enough. The MVP was definitely Jessica. I enjoyed all of her scenes/interactions most and the show made me eager to see the second season of her show. I also dug all of the moments with the various supporting casts. And while I didn't mind Elektra in DD season 2, I did find the writing for her here all over the place. 

So let me get this, Jessica Jones has super powers, Luke Cage has super powers, there friends with a blind lawyer who can do karate acrobatics. In the greater world there is a guy who was frozen during World War 2 and now is alive and running around, a guy who can turn into a giant green monster, two guys with flying suites of armor, a Norse God that walks on earth, and a kid who flings himself around New York solving crimes. But a guy who can channel his chi is a bridge to far?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

So let me get this, Jessica Jones has super powers, Luke Cage has super powers, there friends with a blind lawyer who can do karate acrobatics. In the greater world there is a guy who was frozen during World War 2 and now is alive and running around, a guy who can turn into a giant green monster, two guys with flying suites of armor, a Norse God that walks on earth, and a kid who flings himself around New York solving crimes. But a guy who can channel his chi is a bridge to far?

He also punched the heart of a dragon.

More seriously, though, other than  arguably Thor*, the other known heroes in this universe (afaik nobody knows anything about Dr. Strange outside the characters in that movie) are basically all sci-fi based, while Danny is mystic. It's a totally different vibe. Luke and Cap got their powers from experiments, Peter, Bruce, Jessica and Matt from accidents, Tony and Rhodey from engineering. Danny punched the heart of a dragon.

*Thor being more alien then actual God in this continuity.

• Thanks 1

I agree with whoever said Jessica Jones character is the most entertaining out of the bunch. Yeah, her fight scenes are never going to the best out the four if that's what you are looking for but she's more well-rounded.

I like Luke Cage, but they haven't given him much to do on this show and the way they wrote him as a skeptic was eyerolling at times.

The scenes with Matt's friends not wanting him to be Daredevil are such a drag now. Let's jump over that hurdle already.

Edited by _MJ_

Just finished Defenders. Thought it was solid, but this should definitely be end of the Hand for a good long while though saying that I wouldn't mind more Madam Gao (just her). That old lady is still one of my favorites from these shows, and it was kind of awesome getting to see her be a badass. I was surprised at how long it took to get the crew together, but I also kind of liked that seeing as how only two of them actually knew each other. Thought the general team dynamics were good. I really hope we get more Danny/Luke team ups in the second seasons of their shows. What little we got here was nice and felt more natural than I expected. I was impressed with how well they kept up the character arcs for everyone, support characters included. The action scenes were generally solid with Jones looking way better than he did in his own show and Ritter getting some nice scenes herself.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:43 PM, Brian Fowler said:

The one thing I really disliked was:

Hide contents

Luke Cage's prison sentence basically getting the "how much black magic did father have to use" Thor treatment of hand waving away the consequences of his own story so we could get to the team up story.

Spoiler

Time had passed in the show and Foggy was fighting in court for him during all of it. Did they really hand wave it away or just not bother us with details?

Not all that much time, as far as I could tell. Plus, my point is more the way it just kinda undid the ending of Luke Cage, it lowers the stakes. It's not a deal breaker, but I think ending Cage season 1 there was the real mistake, since they knew they wouldn't be able to follow up on it because of this show.

• Like 2