DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

3 hours ago, Casey said:

If they have to call the Avengers/Defenders/other superheroes every time they encounter an all powerful big bad, then what's the point of the show? Might as well just cancel it. I have no problem with Quake and Ghost Rider (with two skilled secret agents and two super smart scientists) taking down knockoff MODOK and Aida.

Oh, and while we're talking about AoS.... John Hannah is a fucking treasure. So sad to see his character go. He was easily one of the best parts of this season.

Oh I get that, but there difference between the normal shit they face and an all powerful former android who can't seemingly be killed even after turning "human." I'm sure Ghost Rider will be enough, but it definitely feels like they are fighting outside of their weight class.

And I totally agree about John Hannah.

Honestly, you could say the same with Hive. Both he and Aida come off as more Thor/Hulk/Vision-level threats than something the AoS team would be able to deal with(or the Defenders depending on where Danny's IF powers are at the time). 

Hive was exactly who I was thinking of when I first mentioned it. On the one hand, its an awesome threat to see. On the other, its sort of beyond Shield's general capabilities, especially a Shield who barely uses super humans. The original comment was more an observation than a big judgement or anything. I actually think things are better off this time due to Ghost Rider and the shorter time frame for them to pull this part of the story out.

Maybe, but not all villains need a superhero to vanquish them. Some, if not most, can be outsmarted and led into their own demise. Maybe Hive shouldn't have been one of those kinds of villains, but I think Aida can be, most definitely. But, she's crafted from the Darkhold, so I think Ghost Rider could handle her all by himself while May, Quake, etc. deal with MODOK-lite.

Hive was one of the major disappointments of the entire series for me, personally. That should have been a storyline that builds up over the entirety of the series' run, not just one season (if that). It's the physical manifestation of HYDRA for fucks sake.

Dug the conclusion to this season of AoS though I have no idea where they are taking it next season with that cliffhanger. Have to say John Hannah's final scene was great but depressing as fuck. I'm going to miss him. He was so good this season. Same with Mallory Jansen as Aida for that matter.

Hm. A little confused about that ending.

Spoiler

It seems like there are two Coulsons, so I wonder which is the legit one.... but could he have taken on the spirit of vengeance if he was an LMD?

Also, did they introduce the second, kinda frumpier Russian because he "looks" more like MODOK?

And speaking of MODOK, has the MCU introduced AIM yet? Maybe the guys who picked them up in the diner could be AIM...

Spoiler

Yeah, there's only one Caulson as the other was solely tied to the framework.  But they could remember what was done in that alternate world.

As for who took Shield, I don't know who but I bet it's an organization on their side that took them away from Earth so they don't get in trouble back home.  I'm guessing Phil working means they're working together with them.

And I'm going to miss Aida.  I'm a sucker for the "beautiful android becomes human and doesn't know how to feel feelings" trope.  Add in the Inhuman aspect and it made for some interesting TV.  And the alternate world ending was incredibly sad with Hope disappearing and the tear that real life Mack had while hooked up to it.  Was actually expecting they'd both say screw it and allow themselves to get deleted, but even though they made it it was still sad all-around.

And I give credit for them not hooking up Daisy with Ghost Rider, at least not yet.  You can tell there's something there, but it might not play out until either late next season or beyond.  But whenever that is it's bound to happen.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Well, my thinking was, it was weird that they went from them being arrested in the diner immediately to Coulson waking up in space. It just seemed disjointed, and Aida had made another duplicate Daisy to shoot Talbot, so my mind kinda went in that direction. I'd rather it not be two of them, that was just a raw thing right after I finished watching it.

And I forgot about AIM in IM3.

Actually, now that I've had time to think about it, I'm pretty sure it's just S.W.O.R.D.

(putting all this in spoilers for Natural's sake since I know he's an ep or two behind in the UK)

• Like 1

Spoiler

I thought it was fairly obvious time had passed since the diner scene and when Coulson awoke. I'm really hoping it isn't S.W.O.R.D. I have no desire to see them in AoS. They really don't have the budget to make it worthwhile. Not to mention a lack of Brand.

Spoiler

If they're going to introduce SWORD, it's a good time to do it. They'll be in the middle of their 5th season when Infinity War comes out next year, and SWORD played a part in Infinity.

4 hours ago, Casey said:
  Hide contents

If they're going to introduce S.W.O.R.D. , it's a good time to do it. They'll be in the middle of their 5th season when Infinity War comes out next year, and SWORD played a part in Infinity.

Spoiler

Infinity War is based on Infinity Gauntlet when SWORD didn't even exist yet.

4 hours ago, APO said:
  Hide contents

Saw on a comic board that it's not S.W.O.R.D. since that's tied to the X-Men. It was a tweet from a vfx supervisor for AoS.

That is what I expected.

Spoiler

S.W.O.R.D. really only started to branch away from the X-men on a decent level in recent years and then they killed it dead for Captain Marvel & Alpha Flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so the Incredible Hulk was a pretty lackluster Marvel Studios film and there will probably not be a Hulk-only sequel, but can we at least see The Leader used in a season of Agents of SHIEILD before this shit gets cancelled?

I was shocked that they didn't get Tim Roth to cameo in Civil War, when they were in the prison for Supervillains.

Catching up on Agents of Shied most recent season. The What if... episodes are really good.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Okay, so the Incredible Hulk was a pretty lackluster Marvel Studios film and there will probably not be a Hulk-only sequel, but can we at least see The Leader used in a season of Agents of SHIEILD before this shit gets cancelled?

There won't be a Hulk sequel because of rights issues.

And lackluster box office. Even adjusted for inflation, it's nearly thirty million below Ant-Man for lowest grossing domestically of the MCU films.

If it had been a massive runaway hit like Iron Man, Disney would damn sure work with Universal to get a sequel out there

Oh that didn't help, but its been enough time that they would have likely considered giving it another chance after a successful appearance elsewhere. It never happened, but I doubt there would have been attempts to make another Hulk tv series several years ago had they not thought the character was a potential draw again.