DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Spoiler

Cottonmouth had already shown a propensity for getting his hands dirty though, and he knew bullets couldn't hurt Luke.

And he claimed to have half the police force on the payroll, and Scarfe (sp?) asked for the hard copies of the tapes, I took that as a hint that he was going to destroy the evidence. Anyway, I get what you're saying. But if anything, I think it's whoever said it was like the Wire's fault for setting some kind of false expectations.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

So apparently there are some dummies on twitter complaining that Luke Cage is racist because the cast is mainly black. 

Don't feed the trolls.  None of those tweets were newsworthy or deserving of the attention they've gotten.  Oh shit, some fringy idiots said some stupid shit on social media, got to write a blog post about it!

Iron Fist arrives on March 17

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Oh I'm not giving them a second thought, it's just that the idea that anyone would really think that makes my brain want to have a stroke.

Maybe they don't and there just posting BS nonsense to make you feel that way.  

The good news:  It took until episode 5, but I finally found an episode of this show that actualy feels like a complete and satisfactory episode of TV.

The bad news...It confirmed a creeping suspicion I've had the whole time:  Cottonmouth is actually the protagonist of Luke Cage's show.  So many weird missteps in the writing of this show, even when they get something right, it just highlights how wrong they've gotten other things.

41 minutes ago, EVA said:

The good news:  It took until episode 5, but I finally found an episode of this show that actualy feels like a complete and satisfactory episode of TV.

The bad news...It confirmed a creeping suspicion I've had the whole time:  Cottonmouth is actually the protagonist of Luke Cage's show.  So many weird missteps in the writing of this show, even when they get something right, it just highlights how wrong they've gotten other things.

That first complaint, while totally valid, is just so weird to me. This is a stretch and I know it is, but it's almost like watching a TV show in 1955 and complaining that it's not a radio show instead. We're in a different world now. On some level, I get that, in and of itself, doesn't mean that they can't find a way to still pace the episodes in a more complete way while still benefiting from the new freedoms allowed by the binge model but that's not something that bothers me in the least, even if we're generally just watching two episodes at a time. The thing even autoplays so there's only a 10 second gap between episodes. What we often end up doing, actually, is watching until we run out of time for the night, which is usually mid episode. It feels like a relatively artificial divide with a show in this format.

Idk if we are still doing spoilers soooo

Spoiler

I can't be the only one who was disappointed in the villain change.  Cottonmouth was sooo much more interesting than Mariah and especially Diamondback.  I would have rather seen Diamondback as this wildcard playing everyone, even though, Mariah DOES make more sense as this show's "Wilson Fisk" with her political connections.  I think Shades ends up being the main heel when all is said and done though.  Best character in the show for me.

I agree that they teased Murdock too much to not have him show up, especially when there were about 3 different times where it would have made perfect sense to have him.  Minor nitpick though.  I don't hold this as high as season 1 of Daredevil, but it smoked season 2 and Jessica Jones.  Excited for season 2.

I liked Cottonmouth, but he would have never worked for the entire show based around the character they built for him. I honestly figured he would lose his spot around the time he did, just not the way he did. As far as more interesting than Mariah or Diamondback goes, I would probably say he is about even with Mariah but maybe more interesting than Diamondback. At the same time I actually enjoyed Diamondback a lot more than Cottonmouth as a counter to Luke. Mariah as well for that matter. Both had strengths in certain aspects that made them far more formidable.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion probably, but Jessica Jones is still way better than Daredevil and Luke Cage. I'm not as high on Daredevil as everyone else seemingly is, so if I had to rank the shows, it'd be JJ, then Cage, then Daredevil.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Hide contents

I liked Cottonmouth, but he would have never worked for the entire show based around the character they built for him. I honestly figured he would lose his spot around the time he did, just not the way he did. As far as more interesting than Mariah or Diamondback goes, I would probably say he is about even with Mariah but maybe more interesting than Diamondback. At the same time I actually enjoyed Diamondback a lot more than Cottonmouth as a counter to Luke. Mariah as well for that matter. Both had strengths in certain aspects that made them far more formidable.

Spoiler

I think Mariah works best in the long run, because Luke Cage needs a villain that he can't just beat up.  No one can match Luke physically, obviously, so you need a villain that is so well connected, that they can't be touched.  You've basically got Kingpin, minus the threat of him losing his shit and killing you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Unpopular opinion probably, but Jessica Jones is still way better than Daredevil and Luke Cage. I'm not as high on Daredevil as everyone else seemingly is, so if I had to rank the shows, it'd be JJ, then Cage, then Daredevil.

I have Jessica Jones over both seasons of Daredevil for sure. Can't rank Luke Cage until I get to the end but yeah. 

I will say JJ falters by completely losing the narrative toward the end. Up to Episode 9 or 10 is great with Jessica trying to outfox Killgrave instead of killing him. But when they take the person she was trying to save off the board it just loses something. The Luke stuff would have been an okay ending at that point...but then it isn't. It sort of just turns into waiting to see if she'll kill him, hey she does, aaaand series. It not only loses the momentum but really derails the tone and shape of the series to that point and severely hampers the whole.

16 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I have Jessica Jones over both seasons of Daredevil for sure. Can't rank Luke Cage until I get to the end but yeah. 

I will say JJ falters by completely losing the narrative toward the end. Up to Episode 9 or 10 is great with Jessica trying to outfox Killgrave instead of killing him. But when they take the person she was trying to save off the board it just loses something. The Luke stuff would have been an okay ending at that point...but then it isn't. It sort of just turns into waiting to see if she'll kill him, hey she does, aaaand series. It not only loses the momentum but really derails the tone and shape of the series to that point and severely hampers the whole.

I need to finish Luke Cage also.  But as long as they don't fall into the trap that JJ did in the last few episodes then I can say I'll like this a ton more than JJ.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I basically stopped watching Luke Cage after episode 7.  I saw bits of 8 because it rolled over while I was doing something else, but this show was dead to me after

Cottonmouth died.  What a colossal misstep, killing off your best character (and your true protagonist), played by the guy giving by FAR the best performance on the show...and replacing him with such a cartoon character.  Everything about Diamondback was painful to watch, and I just had to tap out.

Worst of all, Cottonmouth had never been more interesting than in that episode!  The flashbacks to his youth filled in a lot of the blanks on that character, and by the end, I was all aboard the FUCK LUKE CAGE FUCK MARIAH FUCK EVERYONE CORNELL STOKES FOREVER train.

There is literally no one else to care about on this show.

• Like 2