DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

New season of AoS is off to a decent enough start. Its nice to see them moving away from the Inhumans stuff. I don't think Ghost Rider looks too bad. I'm still wondering if one of the sub plots mean we will eventually get some version of Nick Fury vs. SHIELD.

Really enjoyed the episode.  I sure missed seeing this show even if it's not as talked about here as the Netflix shows.  I thought they were going to wait an episode or two to do the Ghost Rider flaming skull, but really like how he looks.  There's a bit of depth to work with and I'm curious where things go between him and Daisy.  Speaking of Daisy, like that they reference her as Quake and wonder how long she can hold up considering she's told not to use it too much.  Oh, and I really missed Chloe Bennett, glad to see her back.

Aside from all that there's been a lot of changes in power and it's interesting to see the change in Simmons from quirky cute girl to super authoritative woman.  I could really go on and on about this episode but for the sake of rambling I'll stop.  Definitely worth catching and it'll be neat to see where they go from here.

• Like 3

Overall, I'm very happy with the show and the first season.

That being said, the final episode dragged quite a bit IMHO and it was a bit of a sloppy finale. Too many cliffhangers and they won't even be resolved in the second season. The major one has to get resolved in Defenders. IMHO, it doesn't make sense for Claire to keep talking about knowing Matt Murdock and never you know actually calling him when he could actually help. Didn't call him after Cage's first arrest. Didn't call him after Cage went in at the end. 

I kind of feel that Cage going to jail again at the end was the wrong note to strike Because you have Cage going to jail, Diamondback becoming a test subject for Burstein, and Black Mariah and Shades now control Harlem. Think about this. Luke Cage lost. Yeah he might've given hope and a new folk hero to Harlem. But Pop's place was destroyed again. Cottonmouth was replaced by someone who is just as bad if not potentially worse. Candace is dead. A lot of Harlem gangster got killed off, but Mariah now gets to just move in and assume control of almost everything. She's got Harlem's Paradise.  Now all we get is Luke Cage in prison with the vague hope that the file Bobby Fish has will get him off. But is that really enough considering a prison guard died and he escaped? Whether the guard was racist or corrupt or not, I doubt being framed for prison stay is grounds to exonerate you for involvement in killing a guard and escaping from prison.

Now essentially, Defenders has to begin with Murdock legally getting Cage out of prison. That can't get resolved in season two now because Defenders is next. Hopefully he can put that file to good use.  IMHO the finale lost all its momentum after the Diamondback fight. There was no momentum after that fight and it moved very slowly when you could see they were just luring Candace into a trap to kill her after Shades got Misty's phone It took too long to get to that point. 

Here is how I feel season 1 should've ended:

OK, maybe Mariah stays out of jail for now and gets Harlem's Paradise. But we know Luke Cage is still out there. He has the love and support of Harlem, and he's out there to stand against her and foil her plans for the future. So it sets the stage for chapter 2, Black Mariah vs. Luke Cage. Instead of sending Luke Cage to jail, Matt Murdock intervenes after getting the file from Bobby Fish and Claire, and basically does a slam dunk quick and easy thing that keeps Cage from going back. Everyone says OK because they don't want the Seagate experiments being exposed because they still have the thumb drive and threaten to give it to WikiLeaks or whatever.