DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Although it should be noted...

With what went down between the two in their one scene together this season, Kingpin seems to have ample motivation and every intention to burn Matt Murdock to the ground, even without knowing that he's Daredevil. So maybe they don't have to concoct a scenario where Karen gives him up to get into BA territory.

Pretty much agree with a lot of the consensus here. Enjoyed it, but it felt like such a step down from season 1. Lacking an interesting central villain definitely hurt this season a lot, as I was more invested in Fisk's prison rise than anything involving zombie ninjas. Speaking of, holy fuck ninja fight over kill. It felt like one of the later issues of the 80s GI Joe comic, with just non-stop wave after wave of ineffectual ninjas every episode. The stairwell fight with the bikers was fantastic though, definitely a stand out moment of the season.

So that dude makes Karen a reporter because....she shows gumption? Must piss of a lot of the veterans at the paper that she just walks in a gets Urich's office without even so much as a fluff piece to her name. What was the point of killing Urich last season if she was just going to get a new, more pedophile looking, journalism mentor?

I can not take Stick seriously, I break out into giggles every time he shows up. Such a silly character. At least he wasn't doing bottle cap trick shots this year.

Jon Bernthal was awesome and I would definitely be interested in a Punisher stand alone. Maybe not a full season, but a Netflix special would be fantastic.

I plowed through the season though, so I shouldn't complain too much. The episodes that were good were realllllly good. And this season did the impossible and made me like Foggy. Though Carrie Ann Moss offering him a partnership right off the hop was a bit much.

I ended up binge watching S2 anyways due to various circumstances. Its a definite step down from the first season, but I think that was always going to be the case. I thought it was pretty good overall. I loved a certain character's appearances setting up things for the future. I loved Bernthal's Punisher and would totally watch him in a movie or mini-series. And I still enjoyed the Hand even though I think they really need to quit the bs and go into the mystical crazy shit if they want to use them. It honestly worries me a bit for Iron Fist.

Have they used Gorgon on AOS?

Gorgon is a mutant, not sure Marvel can use him.

They made Eden Fesi inhuman so its not impossible he shows up. That said he debuted in Wolverine despite all of his other appearances being more out there in the Marvel universe. He may be another character that is technically shared which I think they are trying to avoid after the Quicksilver/Wanda deal. Really though it just wouldn't be a good idea anyways as no one would have a realistic chance.

So, Elektra has Dark Matter inside her which is what Black Sky means. Again, it's connected to Agent Carter, where Roxxon was involved in Whitney Frost obtaining the Dark Matter. Cool.

I wonder if it'll carry through to Dr. Strange somehow.

Oh, and I loved this season of DD. Not as awesome as season one but still a total blast.

I must've missed it, but when did they connect the Zero Matter to Daredevil?

The Hand want the power of the "Dark Sky", which is Elektra but also when Zero Matter appeared in Carter, it split the sky , so there's that. And when Elektra was wounded and Stick was healing her, she had the black veiny shit appearing on her skin like victims of Whitney Frost had. And, on Carter , Roxxon was involved in the Zero matter experiments and on Daredevil they said that Roxxon was infiltrated by the Hand.

The Hand want the power of the "Dark Sky", which is Elektra but also when Zero Matter appeared in Carter, it split the sky , so there's that. And when Elektra was wounded and Stick was healing her, she had the black veiny shit appearing on her skin like victims of Whitney Frost had. And, on Carter , Roxxon was involved in the Zero matter experiments and on Daredevil they said that Roxxon was infiltrated by the Hand.

To me that's all quite reaching.  The veins were because she was infected with a neurotoxin from a poisoned sword.  

To me that's all quite reaching.  The veins were because she was infected with a neurotoxin from a poisoned sword.

It's worth noting that the exact same "black veins" effect was seen on Tony in Iron Man 2, caused by something completely different.

It wasn't exactly dusty in the room (surprisingly), but man did it get close.  Loved how they took one for the team to protect Shield.  The Spy Salute was top-notch and you could just feel the love and respect Shield had for them and vice versa.

• Like 1

I watched Daredevil Season Two over two days! I’m with the majority here who say Daredevil Season Two is quite a step down from Daredevil Season One. Expectations for it were high with how terrific Daredevil Season One is. For me it’s the best in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I still liked Daredevil Season Two. The standout performances in Daredevil Season Two are Charlie Cox as the title character, Jon Bernthal’s Punisher and another character, you’ll know who I’m referring to!

Daredevil Season One had better stories and better supporting characters in Ben Ulrich (it was a mistake killing him off and this season reinforces that), Leland Owsley and Wesley.

I said before putting the first two episodes of Daredevil Season One, Into the Ring and Cut Man as a feature film, you get one of the best ever live action origin films with the greatest of all, Batman Begins (2005) and Iron Man (2008). If you connect New York’s Finest (Ep3) and Penny and Dime (Ep4) from this season, you get a Punisher origin film. I’d lose the first two episodes of the series from it as they’re weak and they’re written by the new showrunners. The change in showrunners was a concern I had dating back to the announcement.

Wilson Fisk and Madame Gao return! I thought Wilson would come back but we got more of him than I thought we would. Never too much.

My top five episodes and what happened in each is something like this:

1. Penny and Dime. We find an x-ray of Frank surviving a bullet to the head. Karen goes to the Castle home finding the story book and photos. Frank is kidnapped by the Irish after killing some of their own and is tortured. Daredevil in his new suit rescues him and they fight together to escape with Daredevil having to stop Frank from using lethal force twice. Brett Mahoney and the police come. As Brett is arresting Daredevil, Daredevil asks him to get help for Frank and take the collar to show the law works. Brett releases Daredevil saying I don’t know what you are but you ain’t him. Brett gets promoted to Sergeant, Matt and Karen kiss in the rain and as Matt returns home, Elektra is waiting for him. (Ep4)

2. New York’s Finest. Daredevil wakes up to find he’s chained on a roof by Frank Castle. Daredevil and Frank talk about their different stances. Daredevil says it’s not my call and it isn’t yours either when it comes to killing. Daredevil believes there’s hope and redemption. Frank thinks Daredevil is a half-measure, a man who can’t finish the job and a coward. Frank blows up the Dogs of Hell bikes. Daredevil subdues Frank and has to fight the Dogs of Hell in the corridor/stairwell. (Ep3)

3. Guilty as Sin. Stick saves Daredevil and Elektra from the Ninjas. Stick tells Matt he trained Elektra and expands on the war story that an ancient group called the Hand found the secret to immortality and the Chaste are there to fight them. In court a doctor testifies Frank sufferers from extreme emotional disturbance. Castle testifies and a police officer whispers to think about what you want. Frank on the stand says he’d do it all again and I am the Punisher so the defense loses the trial. Elektra leaves Stick. Matt fights a ninja who turns out to be a young boy. Elektra slashes his throat. (Ep8)

4. A Cold Day in Hell’s Kitchen. Nobu sends the Hand out to acquire targets from a file. Foggy gets a job offer from Hogath. Daredevil gets his Billy club from Melvin and creates a new outfit for Elektra. Frank makes his Punisher look. Foggy tells Matt to help Sgt Brett who was assaulted. Daredevil meets Brett and says he was attacked for files on Daredevil, people put away and people saved. Daredevil and Elektra set out to free them from the Hand. Nobu kills Elektra. Daredevil fights the remaining Hand with covering fire from Frank. Stick kills Nobu for real. Elektra is buried, Frank sets his home on fire and Matt shows his cowl to Karen Page saying I’m Daredevil.  Elektra is taken from her grave and put into the urn thing.(Ep13)

5. Semper Fideli. Matt/Foggy/Karen thinks the defense strategy is either PTSD or a mistrial with evidence either doctored or missing. Frank rejects PTSD as it’s an insult to them who have it. Doctor has something to say so gallery is cleared. Doctor admits falsifying documents threatened by two men before and last night by a woman unbeknown to Matt. Judge rules testimony to be wiped. Matt tells Foggy about Elektra and he flips. Daredevil chastises Elektra for her involvement who says you don’t get what you want in the day, force it in night. (Ep7)

Favourite moments not already mentioned:

The exchange between Matt Murdock and Wilson Fisk in jail with Murdock saying he’ll stop Vanessa reentering the United States and Fisk threatening all who put him here. (The Man in the Box, Ep10)

The fight between Frank Castle and the inmates in the jail cell wing and Frank vs. Wilson Fisk. (Seven Minutes in Heaven, Ep9)

Matt and Elektra stealing a Roxxon ledger in the Yakatomi building as Matt/Elektra. To escape Matt/Elektra make out and act as drunks. (Regrets Only, Ep6)

Flashbacks to Matt and Elektra ten years ago. (Kingbaku, Ep5)

Elektra/Stick flashbacks. (The Dark at the End of the Tunnel, Ep12)

I didn’t like:

Less of the Priest this time around.

Nelson/Murdock disbanded so soon again.

Nobu killing Elektra.

On the things you didn't like:

Spoiler

I've got to concur on the lack of the priest. I enjoyed seeing Matt always go to him for some wisdom whenever he was doubting himself and his beliefs.

I actually like Nelson and Murdock disbanding. It made sense with everything that had been building in both seasons. Foggy just isn't remotely ok with Matt being Daredevil and it showed here even during the happy times.

I'm surprised they went with Nobu killing Elektra and not Bullseye considering how big a thing it was. Even when I knew practically nothing about Daredevil outside of his appearances in Spider-man TAS I knew about that. That was a mistake to skip over

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

On the things you didn't like:

Hidden Content

Spoiler

I'm with you on the priest. Surprised the priest only appeared the once.

I see why Nelson/Murdock would disband with the differences in opinion between them over Daredevil. I just like seeing them together. El grande avocados!

From the little I knew about Daredevil, I was aware Bullseye killed Elektra and that's why I'd have saved it.

21 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Anyone else's allergies start acting up during the final scene of this weeks episode of Agents of Shield?  Mine sure did...

Damn these puffy eyes.  I hate pollen. 

All done with this season of DD.  Not quite as good as last season but this Punisher is the fucking gold standard.  Totally kept Frank from being the one trick vengeance pony of the films and giving us the tortured murder machine we all know and love.  Sympathetic yet unrepentant in the same breath.

I have major issues with Elektra, though.  The old costume had to go and I admire the show's attempt to strip Elektra of nearly all of Miller's ridiculous exotic ninja Salome seductress fetish imagery while retaining the tragedy of her story, but it feels like the show has turned Elektra from major draw to plot device to introduce The Black Sky..