DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

FWIW there was no DD season 2 scheduled before it became such a massive hit for Netflix. TV is a much more nimble, responsive medium than the blockbuster film industry. If Netflix feels the same demand is there for S2 of JJ, it'll be back next year.

And there should be, because at least through the first 10 episodes, it is much better. And I liked DD. Episodes 7-10 are just a fantastic run.

• Like 1

The problem is that with 2 seasons per year of Marvel shows, every sudden greenlight pushes back something new. At some point they have to either accelerate production to fit in a third season and risk killing the goose, or put their foot down and leave a proven commodity fallow to gamble on Iron Fist.

Also, don't forget that the fuckin' Punisher is going to be a main character of DD season 2. If HE turns out to be staggeringly popular (which is entirely possible), I wouldn't be shocked if his show got bumped ahead of Iron Fist and maybe even Luke Cage. In all the hype and positive reviews for Jennifer Jones, I've barely seen Cage mentioned at all, which doesn't bode well for his future franchise potential.

Also, don't forget that the fuckin' Punisher is going to be a main character of DD season 2. If HE turns out to be staggeringly popular (which is entirely possible), I wouldn't be shocked if his show got bumped ahead of Iron Fist and maybe even Luke Cage. In all the hype and positive reviews for Jennifer Jones, I've barely seen Cage mentioned at all, which doesn't bode well for his future franchise potential.

Pretty sure the production for Cage has already started so I don't see it being bumped by Punisher. iron Fist being bumped again though is entirely possible.

I read an article that said that contractually the Defenders series had to be shot by a certain time, thus pushing back a second season for Jessica Jones.

Realistically, it's hard to imagine Defenders will make it to air before 2018.  Because next year is Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage.  It will probably follow a similar schedule as Daredevil and Jessica Jones this year.  2017 would hypothetically feature Iron Fist.  Netflix apparently wants a new show every six months, which comes out to about two shows a year.  However, depending on the reception, it's hard to see what could maybe get renewed.  There are many variables.  

However, Defenders is only meant to be 8 episodes at this point.  So it will be more like a miniseries than a full season.

I wish it was more because I'm not enjoying their other programming. I couldn't get into House of Cards, I love politics but I wasn't feeling it. Orange is the New Black is still good but not what it was. Bloodline was okay, some really good performances but the story itself was alright I guess and most of the other shows are unwatchable.

Bojack Horseman and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt though.

The thing is, Cage seems to be further in production than DD season 2 and we're on the clock for Defenders. If they're already casting Danny Rand, that's coming fairly soon. It's entirely possibly and even likely that the every six months rule didn't account for DD S2 and we see something more like April/August/December next year. But we'll see.

The thing is, Cage seems to be further in production than DD season 2 and we're on the clock for Defenders. If they're already casting Danny Rand, that's coming fairly soon. It's entirely possibly and even likely that the every six months rule didn't account for DD S2 and we see something more like April/August/December next year. But we'll see.

Is there a source for this? Because I haven't seen any pictures of Luke Cage's production or even read anything about it. Meanwhile in August I saw pictures of Jon Bernthal as the Punisher on set doing shit. Meanwhile I can't find a single set picture of Luke Cage or even any news on if episodes have been written let alone filmed. Thats why I was wondering what was going on with the series I get that they don't want to overshadow Jessica Jones but there was still photos and news about Daredevil 2 long before JJ series. I will say though that somebody mentioned there being no buzz on Luke Cage after the last series and I agree.

As far as their other quality shows. Kimmy Schmidt was one of those shows I had heard was good but knew nothing about and after the first episode I was hooked. Orange is the New Black I think has ran its course after three seasons it seems to be diminishing returns. I never got into House of Cards and that horror tv show they had I can't remember its name had so much potential but wasn't that great. 

The name of the game in TV right now -and in the future - is unique content. In a streaming/a la carte world, the winners are the ones who have the most of it to offer. It's why every bottom-end cable channel and streaming service is launching it's own original series in hopes of catching a MAD MEN-esque lightning strike that makes them relevant, and why established brands like HBO have started hanging on to marginal shows that wouldn't have lasted more than a season before in order to fill out their catalogue.

If the demand is there for Jessica Jones, Netflix will have S2 in production double-quick.

Like I said before, TV is much more nimble and responsive than the blockbuster film industry. Production on a movie - and especially a series of movies - is like launching a battleship. There are a lot of very careful, very expensive logistics involved, and once that baby is set in motion down the slipway, it's going in the water. It's much easier to shuffle schedules and budgets on TV.

And there's no law that says any of these shows have to be a certain number of episodes. If next season of JJ only needs to be 10 episodes to make it fit into the bigger schedule, then it can be that.

Is there a source for this? Because I haven't seen any pictures of Luke Cage's production or even read anything about it. Meanwhile in August I saw pictures of Jon Bernthal as the Punisher on set doing shit. Meanwhile I can't find a single set picture of Luke Cage or even any news on if episodes have been written let alone filmed. Thats why I was wondering what was going on with the series I get that they don't want to overshadow Jessica Jones but there was still photos and news about Daredevil 2 long before JJ series. I will say though that somebody mentioned there being no buzz on Luke Cage after the last series and I agree.

If you care a lot about Luke Cage, I don't see how you've missed it. It has a full cast and has been in production since September. Not many set photos, but there are a few out there.

EDIT: Scroll down to the bottom for a gallery of set photos, including the great Frankie Faison

Plus, Alfre Woodard! And that guy who is definitely not Doakes from Dexter but will nontheless compel you to shout SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER every time you see him, regardless.

EDIT: Scroll down to the bottom for a gallery of set photos, including the great Frankie Faison

Plus, Alfre Woodard! And that guy who is definitely not Doakes from Dexter but will nontheless compel you to shout SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER every time you see him, regardless.

I really dig the comic version of Luke Cage but he wasn't incredibly interesting in Jessica Jones. The way I had heard it was that it was supposed to be DD, then JJ then a Fist/Cage team up show so I wasn't aware he was getting his own show. Those are the first set photos I've seen. I'll for sure watch it but I would have been a lot more excited for a Cage show before the JJ series. The character never became that interesting in JJ in to me atleast didn't feel much like Luke Cage. 

I still have 2 episodes to go on JJ. I'll say that, thus far, I like this version of Luke Cage as a supporting character to Jessica, but at the same time, he hasn't been presented as the kind of character I'd get excited about as the star of his own show.

Regarding Episode 8 

Its a great episode in a vacuum but before that episode I was absolutely terrified of Killgrave. What he was going to do, how he was going do it. Then this episode hits and he's making jokes, being funny, not in the least threatening, even a little bit emo. Not in a stalker, psychopath way but in a whining, bitch kinda way. Fun episode and they play off great and David plays the Killgrave character perfectly through the whole series and especially this episode. Its just the fear I had of Killgrave was gone after that. 

From the moment the Netflix deal was announced, Marvel confirmed DD/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist and then everythinf would come together for defenders (why Defenders instead of Heroes For Hire I'll never know). There was never any announcement that it would be PM/IF as a team-up show.

James

• Like 1

I actually loved Episode 8. We're on 10 right now and 8 was my favorite in the season so far.

Episode 8 is so great! If the rest of the series had just been

Jessica and Kilgrave playing house while she tries to train him to be a decent person, this might've ended up being the greatest comic book adaptation of all time.

Not that I really have a problem with the direction the show went after that. The flip-flopped captivity stories in 8 and 9 are tremendous and the backbone of the whole series. Even better, they did two captivity stories to get the hero and villian some face time, and neither used the now-cliche "villain lets himself get captured on purpose" angle as a setup. That's just showing off.

I lost almost all interest in the show right around episode 10. Once its confirmed that JJ can't be controlled (they never really do explain this. Speculation sure but no explanation and I can't imagine following up on that now that he's dead). Anyway once its confirmed she can't be controlled that combined with him becoming a comedic character with mommy daddy issues took me out of the series. I still enjoyed parts of it. Malcom was an interesting arc and Patty was an interesting arc. A good series though no doubt and I would for sure love to see a season 2. Of course I'm a sucker for PI shows I watched every episode of Bored to Death. 

Are you saying you didn't think it was believable that the police wouldn't react more aggressively if there were reports of a man that controlled minds causing people to commit horrible crimes despite zero evidence he existed outside of these testimonies? 

Are you saying you didn't think it was believable that the police wouldn't react more aggressively if there were reports of a man that controlled minds causing people to commit horrible crimes despite zero evidence he existed outside of these testimonies? 

More towards her. String of dead bodies end up linked to her, and they're just never around/reluctant to question her despite her obvious involvement in everything.