DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Just finished Jessica Jones. Not on the same level of Daredevil but damn good and something that excites me for what comes next with Luke Cage. I was unsure of Ritter in the role despite loving for the B in apartment 23, but she was awesome. And Tennant just took things to another level with the brand of evil he played here. I'm not sure there has been a villain in comic films or tv as disgusting and despicable, just no redeeming qualities as a human being of whatsoever. There was stuff I wasn't fond of like the love triangle & the twins, but that was nothing that really hurt the show much. I really liked the relationship between Jones & Walker. I'm curious if there will be another season.

But the thing I'm wondering is: Where the hell is Big Fresh explaining to us, how this show is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

He's been suspended. For ages.

I wondered where Big Fresh was. I didn't know he's been suspended.

I've been watching Jessica Jones. I like the show though Daredevil is better, Agent Carter too.

Hmm well I just finished Jessica Jones last night and I'm not sure if I enjoyed Daredevil better. I think they're both awesome.  How perfect was The Purple Man?  What a sadistic fuck.  This was very dark. Probably darker than Daredevil.  There were about 3-4 times where I felt scared for Jessica and Luke and Trish. Kilgrave was a real threat all the way through. They never knew who could be controlled by him at any time. always looking over their shoulder in fear. I was on edge from around episode 6. 

My only complaints are a couple of the subplots. I did not care at all about the love triangle with Jessica's lawyer and I hated the support group.

I liked it a lot. Based just enough on Alias that the broad strokes were there while being a nearly completely new story. Kilgrave was so fucking evil.

Even though it probably wouldn't have fit the tone, I'm disappointed his skin didn't turn purple when he took the power enhancer virus thingy in the last episode. It teased it without delivering.

Just finished first episode one, hubby and I just looked at each other, swore, and wished we didn't have other plans tonight so we could get watching.

Off topic: I haven't watched AOS since season 1 episode 9 or so...have I missed anything that's worth binge watching, or a good jumping back on point?

The last several episodes of season one are really fantastic. Can't remember where exactly that started, but everything after Winter Soldier was released.

Agent Carter gets released on DVD here tomorrow, worth a look?

Definitely. Took ages for us to get it in the UK but well worth the wait.

Just finished first episode one, hubby and I just looked at each other, swore, and wished we didn't have other plans tonight so we could get watching.

Off topic: I haven't watched AOS since season 1 episode 9 or so...have I missed anything that's worth binge watching, or a good jumping back on point?

The last several episodes of season one are really fantastic. Can't remember where exactly that started, but everything after Winter Soldier was released.

Meant to reply to Erin's question but forgot to. My apologies. I enjoyed Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. first half of season one more than most, the second half was even better. Brian's right. Turn, Turn, Turn (Ep17) is the one that ties into events from Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This was a great episode and is still the best in the history of the show.

I preferred Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s second season:

While I liked the chase for the Diviner, the Inhumans reveal and the road to Civil War, I wasn't keen on S.H.I.E.L.D. vs. Nu-S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Like 1

The Simpson arc felt a bit rushed.  I like them adding the random cop into the scooby gang, but I think they could have held off on his twist until the next season.  I didn't really like the actor's ticks either.

Even the lawyer/doctor/secretary triangle felt more developed. 

Simpson's storyline seems to be alluding to a grand conspiracy linking the other Defenders together, which could be interesting.

Wow, people really are high on Jessica Jones. Like Daredevil I found that this game fell flat during the middle portion of the season. Picked up steam around episode 10, then kept on going on going till the end. Like they forgot they still had three more episodes to go.

Was it me or was every white guy either a creep (Kilgrave) or a bumbling idiot (everyone else)? With the Hogart genderswap, the unnecessary Lesbian story line, the sex scenes and all the strong empowered women, I felt that this show tried way too hard to be progressive. Just my two cents.

Sure is awful when every role of particular race or gender is shoehorned into negative places, isn't it?

Seriously though, who gives a shit? It's not a show about white dudes (beyond some of the Gamergate/MRA/abuse metaphors wrapped up in Killgrave) so why does it matter how they're presented?

Seriously, the idea that anything not having enough white dudes is "trying too hard" to be progressive is pretty much exactly the problem with race/gender in Hollywood. Yet not many people complained that the only black people in Looper (for example, hardly alone) were thugs with zero dialogue.

Anyway, that's my white privilege rant on an internet message board for today.

• Like 2

I'd say the issue is that NOBODY except Jessica and Luke are portrayed as being both competent and sane. Everyone else is made out to either be a helpless victim or an ice-blooded sociopath.

I'm on episode 11 now; the show is still damn good, although I can see some cracks starting to form. It's getting really aggravating how many of the action scenes boil down to "Jessica throws people into walls like a superstrong villain on Buffy, but then someone else runs in for the cheap disqualification". They can never get ANYTHING done, there's always someone showing up at Just The Right (or Wrong) Moment to change what's going on, and also to almost inevitable let Killgrave escape again as if he was fuckin' Sylar. And why is Killgrave seemingly the only major heel on this show? Daredevil did a much better job at filling the cast with midcard heels to take up DD's time, while on this one it's left almost entirely to Purple Man to do all the heavy lifting. (And really, whose bright idea was it to change him and JJ's backstory to "he raped me every day"?! That's so much lamer than the even creepier shit in the comic; and in the comic, Jessica even angrily points out what a cliche the Tragic Rape Backstory is when someone assumes that's what happened to her.)

But I did get a "wow, didn't see THAT coming... and I'm ecstatic!" shock when I realized who one of the characters is really supposed to be. I didn't know the guy's civilian name offhand, so I squeed a little when suddenly outta nowhere

Sergeant Simpson blurts out to his crazy army doctor "GIMME A RED~!". Looks like someone wants to take off and nuke the site from orbit...

Although, damn, he sure did seem to completely transform from Nice Regular Guy all the way to Foaming-At-The-Mouth Berzerk Murderer in about five seconds flat.

That is exactly what happened. Carol was in the original ABC version of the show that never got off the ground. By the time it made it's way into the Netflix deal, the Captain Marvel movie was already in development, and they said the show couldn't have her.

The showrunner had absolutely no idea who Hellcat was whenever Marvel threw her name out as an alternative.

I'd never heard of her either. Looking up her bio, it's easy to see why, despite the character's incredibly longevity; Patsy originally debuted in 1944, in Archie-style teen romance comics that were the furthest thing imaginable from a character who would eventually commit suicide and be damned to hell during the Dark 90s. The character repeatedly took entire decades off, before inevitably being revived by some new writer and pushed in an entirely different direction than anything she'd done before.

It makes sense in a way since she is a low powered character that would not be out of place with Jessica, Luke, etc.

Plus,if they are building to a defenders show, hellcat was a mainstay of the Englehart/gerber team.

Also, the Kathryn Immonen mini series from a year ot two ago was really good.