DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

I don't have too many complaints besides not enough Luke Cage, and the fight scenes are pretty bad. Especially after watching Arrow's latest episode. I love it though, I'm only 4 episodes in (went to bed after the first last night, didn't dive back in until late today) and it's pretty damn dark at times. The ending to the first episode left me shocked a little bit.

Never cared for David Tennant honestly, but he's awesome in this. Super fucking creepy and evil. Marvel & Netflix hit it out of the park, again, when it comes to their villians.

Just finished first episode one, hubby and I just looked at each other, swore, and wished we didn't have other plans tonight so we could get watching.

Off topic: I haven't watched AOS since season 1 episode 9 or so...have I missed anything that's worth binge watching, or a good jumping back on point?

Just finished the first episode and loved it. This really could be the next homerun for Marvel.

But the thing I'm wondering is: Where the hell is Big Fresh explaining to us, how this show is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Only had time for the first episode today. Very good, Killgrave is terrifying...all the stuff you're expecting. The standout surprise for me was how much this feels like the comics. The dialogue has that Bendis quickness, the world has that Gaydos grit. Take out the established heroes and the F bombs and turn Killgrave into something much scarier and worse than what he is in the comics...there you go.

It really does feel like a more intense Alias. Which is amazing.

The Wife is not usually a "comic book" project follower but she and I watched "Don't Watch The B In Apt 23" together and she agrred to watch Alias based on how much she liked Krysten Ritter.

We marathoned all of Jessica Jones in a day, finished at 6AM Saturday morning. Our only regret is that so much has been laid out for a Season 2 that if for some reason that doesn't get greenlit I'll be annoyed

James

But the thing I'm wondering is: Where the hell is Big Fresh explaining to us, how this show is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

He's been suspended. For ages.

Just started.  The Luke Cage actor is jacked.  Krysten Ritter is good in it, but I'm not surprise.  This type of role is up her alley and she's been good in all of the things I've seen her in.

Also, is it just me, or is the word "exercise" misspelled in the gif in TheVileOne's signature?  I've been staring at it for a good minute.  My eyes have glazed over now.  Reality and perception have merged.

Besides the fight scenes, I liked this way more than Daredevil actually.

Whoever said the back half of the season is lackluster, or whatever - fuck, I loved the last half of the season. That last episode is something, sets up a bunch of shit for the future.

I liked this piece (from an article about easter eggs in the series) about the argument online about why people in the MCU wouldn't believe in mind control when Thor, Hulk, Loki, etc. are running around:

Let's assume that the MCU as we know it takes place in "real time." That means that other than Captain America in the '40s, superheroes have only really been operating in public since about 2008. What's more, we've only met the big ones, and we've pretty much only seen them dealing with major issues. So a superhero "event" happens roughly with the frequency of something similarly catastrophic in the news cycle...which may not be very often.

In other words (and this is something that Daredevil also did a nice job illustrating), the world isn't used to this stuff, and in the case of New York City, they're downright traumatized by it. Threads of this trauma will probably play out in Captain America: Civil War, as well. 

The point of all this is that something as apparently simple as Kilgrave's verbal mind control power, which doesn't seem as flashy or sexy as a super soldier serum, a suit of armor, a magic hammer, or turning green, is actually completely fucking terrifying when put into a relatively real world/violence isn't the answer kind of setting. Short of vaporizing this guy from orbit, what the hell can you do? But for the most part, none of this super powered stuff is any more "real" to the average citizen than anything else.

• Like 1

To me that's not really a great argument.  If all the SHIELD secrets have been dumped online, doesn't that also mean information on the Index and gifted humans have as well?  Not to mention, throughout this show, people ask, "Are you 'gifted?'" As in do you have super-powers?  

Besides, in real life, those occasional catastrophes make people incredibly paranoid about that stuff happening more often. People don't pretend that Islamic terrorist attacks don't exist because they're scary, it's the exact opposite, people imagine terrorists hiding in every shadow and around every corner.

But I can see an argument that people specifically wouldn't believe mind control powers, since that's so different than the stuff which has become public. All the famous heroes and villains have flashy physical superpowers, not insidious mental abilities which are practically invisible to everyone except the actual victims of said powers.

Two episodes in, I love this freaking show. Yeah it's not Daredevil, but shit, what IS? I didn't even expect THAT show to be the masterpiece Daredevil turned out to be, so this one being just-plain-good is more than fine with me. My favorites are the creepy bitchy twins who live upstairs, but the main characters are all fun too. Everyone is turning in some really damn fine performances, there's a palpable sense of these people all having led larger lives outside the narrow focus of what we see them doing in the show.

But I can see an argument that people specifically wouldn't believe mind control powers, since that's so different than the stuff which has become public. All the famous heroes and villains have flashy physical superpowers, not insidious mental abilities which are practically invisible to everyone except the actual victims of said powers.

This was my thought. There are no X-Men in the MCU. Unless I'm forgetting something, there haven't been any telepaths introduced yet. I think Loki running around with the Mind Stone is as close as it gets.

I think I will do more rewatches of Jessica Jones than Daredevil.  I have two episodes left of Jones. I think it started to get a bit convoluted in the Sin Box episode, and while I appreciate Marvel trying to make the main bad guys of their Netflix shows more than one-dimensional evil villains (Fisk seemingly wanting a better city), the source of Kilgrave's anger was cliché to me, even with the twist on it.  The lesbian divorced triangle subplot never really clicked with me with either.

The fight scenes are better in Daredevil, but they should be better.  He's a superhero who has trained most of his life in hand-to-hand combat, and Jessica Jones is an alcoholic P.I. with super strength.  I can buy it.

Outside of the Luke Cage, I think I like Daredevil's supporting cast better, but Jessica Jones being more of a loner leads to the show focusing more on her.  I preferred it.  I'll have to watch Daredevil again sometime, but I buy Jessica Jones' shades of grey("You're a piece of shit") more than I buy Murdock's, which was more about the dilemma of killing people anyway.  Maybe I just like the Jessica Jones character more than the Murdock, at least the TV versions, which is affecting my outlook.

• Like 1

The fight scenes are better in Daredevil, but they should be better.  He's a superhero who has trained most of his life in hand-to-hand combat, and Jessica Jones is an alcoholic P.I. with super strength.  I can buy it.

I'm in agreement with that, i think the fight scenes came off the way they did was on purpose to show how un-polished of a hero she is, she isnt a trained fighter she's an alcoholic private eye with super strength so i wasnt disapointed in the way she fought in fact i think it added to her character.

One of the main reasons i loved the fights in Daredevil because if u pay attention to them he made mistakes u'd only make if u really didnt have great vision theres a few hiccups in his fight scenes which play on his lack of natural vision.

A lot of people in this country are still big on retribution for criminal acts. If someone can make you do something terrible, completely against your will, suddenly the entire justice/rehabilitation system has to be reexamined. That's uncomfortable. No one wants to do that. Much easier to pretend/hope that such a person doesn't exist.

It kind of parallels the free will debate in general, when you think about it.