DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

When this came out:

I thought I'd have a go at my top ten Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes. I'll post in spoiler tags for size and if there's people who haven't seen them...

1. Turn, Turn, Turn. Captain America: The Winter Soldier crossover. Reveal HYDRA has infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. Ward and Garrett members of HYDRA. (S1, Ep17)

2. Beginning of the End. Nick Fury appears and Director Coulson. (S1, Ep22)

3. S.O.S. S.H.I.E.L.D. vs. Inhumans. Raina killed by Jiaying. Jiaying’s plan to use artificial Terrigen crystals laced with Diviner metal to reveal all Inhumans/kill all humans. Cal kills Jiaying. T.A.H.I.T.I. project is used on Cal to give him peace. Skye will get a new team of gifted people. Ward to create a team of his own missing that dynamic. (S2, Ep21/22)

4. The Dirty Half Dozen. Ward: “This is great. We finally got the team back together.”  The uncomfortable mission briefing between the six because of Ward’s past. Skye’s action sequence and Avengers: Age of Ultron tie-in. (S2, Ep19)

5. What They Become. Skye meats Cal. Inhumans turn in Skye and Raina with the Diviner. Triplett dies.

(S2, Ep10)

6. The Things We Bury. Dr. Werner Reinhardt history with Agent Carter, she refuses him to work for the US. Reinhardt is freed from jail by Alexander Pierce. The woman he found years ago hasn’t aged unlike him. Reinhardt experiments on her and is no longer old, assumes the identity Daniel Whitehall. (S2, Ep8)

7. Ye Who Enters Here. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. enter hidden city. (S2, Ep9)

8. The Frenemy of my Enemy. Coulson/Hunter/Fitz/Peterson capture Ward/Agent 33 knowing Ward can get them into HYDRA via brainwashed Bakshi. Ward offered clean T.A.H.I.T.I. slate. (S2, Ep18)

9. Scars. Raina’s vision sees a war between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Inhumans by Jiaying but Raina’s lied before and isn’t trusted. This wasn’t a lie as Jiaying kills Gonzales with an artificial Terrigen crystal laced with Diviner material. Jiaying shoots herself to start the war. (S2, Ep20)

10. Yes Men. Sif and Lorelei guest appearances. Sif to bring Lorelei back to Asgard who on Midgard controls the minds of men including Ward who she sleeps with and Fitz. (S1, Ep15)

Top two are locks particularly my top choice. Coulson and Ward MVP's.

So it's November 20 on the East Coast.  That means my embargo is over. 

My official review of Jessica Jones.

Cliff notes:

This is a dark, violent and nasty show. These are the dark corners of the Marvel Universe the Avengers dare not tread.

Nitpicks? Action and fighting leaves something to be desired. It's not as impressive as what was done in Daredevil. The first fight scene with Luke Cage was rather sloppy.  

There's a subplot involving the Frank Simpson character (Nuke from the comics) that I don't think works very well at all.  In addition, this is a world where aliens attacked New York, a God is a superhero, and powered individuals are popping up all over the world. But people refuse to acknowledge that someone such as Kilgrave with his abilities can exist.

David Tennant is downright terrifying at times. 

I would say no.  I still think Daredevil has better overall writing and storytelling.  But David Tennant is a demon rendered in human flesh. 

The back half of the first Jessica Jones season doesn't quite derail but it sort of loses a lot of steam IMHO.