DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Anyway, its too late to convince the people who think Shield sucks that it doesn't....

Eh, I'm open to changing my opinion.  I watched the first three eps. of the season this week and am going to leave it on the DVR for awhile.  I haven't really changed my opinion of the show, but I'm willing to give it another chance.

That said, they seem to have a thing for doing plot arcs I just don't care about (Inhumans, government task force), though I Constance Zimmer joining the cast is a plus.  My big problem with the show is that I still don't care about most of the characters.  Ward is somewhat interesting as a villain, and I like Fitz's development.  Bobbi's a good character.  I'd be ok if May, Skye, Simmons, and Coulson were eaten by Fin Fang Foom.  I like Ming-Na Wen but feel like she's horribly miscast,

Kinda feel like Coulson is miscast.  I hate to say that  I like Clark Gregg an awful lot as a character actor, supporting player, comic actor, etc.  He was hilarious on Old Christine and this is likely his only shot at being a leading man, so I'm happy to see him get the paycheck.  Despite all that, he doesn't have the right presence or energy to anchor a show.  2+ years in, and I'm still waiting for the real lead to show up.

Anyway, its too late to convince the people who think Shield sucks that it doesn't....

Kinda feel like Coulson is miscast.  I hate to say that  I like Clark Gregg an awful lot as a character actor, supporting player, comic actor, etc.  He was hilarious on Old Christine and this is likely his only shot at being a leading man, so I'm happy to see him get the paycheck.  Despite all that, he doesn't have the right presence or energy to anchor a show.  2+ years in, and I'm still waiting for the real lead to show up.

Yeah, see, I don't see Coulson as the lead. Daisy is the lead. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but even if you go back to the pilot, we thought Daisy being the centerpiece was just telling the story from the "outsider" viewpoint as a way to introduce the viewer to SHIELD. But really it was foreshadowing that the show was primarily about her journey from hacker with no past to super hero. Just took FOREVER to get there.

Coulson gets top billing and he's the most recognizable face just because of his crossover with the MU but really the show isn't about him. He's more of the mentor. In Whedon terms, if SHIELD were Buffy, Daisy is the Slayer while Coulson is Giles (and Ward is Angelus). And as much as I love Tony Head, Gregg is just as excellent in that role. The problem is it just took 2+ years to get him to that point.

?What kills me about Clark Gregg is that he's believable as a Government guy but not the kind they have him playing on AoS. The FBI agent he played on West Wing is more his type, a guy who is low key and about protecting the agency's cred. That's the guy I see him as. Lord I can see him as a sort of foil for Fox Mulder on X-Files

James 

So in regards to tonight's AoS (I'll put it in spoilers even though it is just a theory)

So am I crazy or does Andrew = Lash? He left May with no explanation, the Frye guy said he didn't tell the truth about Lash, and the Von Strucker kid ran out of that store like he saw something crazy. Plus we didn't see Andrew dead, just blood and legs of someone dead.

I could be wrong though.  Can't wait for next week's Simmons-centric episode.

So in regards to tonight's AoS (I'll put it in spoilers even though it is just a theory)

So am I crazy or does Andrew = Lash? He left May with no explanation, the Frye guy said he didn't tell the truth about Lash, and the Von Strucker kid ran out of that store like he saw something crazy. Plus we didn't see Andrew dead, just blood and legs of someone dead.

I could be wrong though.  Can't wait for next week's Simmons-centric episode.

I was certain that Andrew was dead.  I could see May unleashing holy hell on Hunter for thinking it was BS and that could carry over for a couple/few episodes.  I never got an indication that Andrew had anything special to him aside from being a psychologist.  But it is Marvel so I guess we can't necessarily rule that out.

So they apparently went to Baltimore during this, looked kinda like Mt. Vernon.  Granted, it could have been anyplace else with a setting to resemble Baltimore, but on the chance it was for real I would have been down with seeing them film there.

And I'm glad they're going to talk more about what Simmons saw, something like that should take time to flesh out.

So the end of the warehouse shootout perfectly summed up my feelings towards Agents of Shield.  In the comics, the leader of a super-secret spy organization (even one rebuilding) would probably teleport away, or have a robot fly him to safety.  On Flash tv, the leader would probably use his super speed or have someone with powers whisk him to safey,  Hell, on Green Arrow, the guy would probably have a plan to escape via secret passage or a high-tech hovercopter parked on the roof.  . 

On Agents of Shield, the leader of Hydra doesn't seem to have a contingency plan so he jumps out a window and rides away in the back of a pickup truck. Yeah, that's really.... unimaginative.  And cheap.  I kinda wanted a jaunty banjo tune to play as they drove off.

At least Ward can ask the driver to drop him off at the orchard farm so he can make some money picking apples.  That way, the day wouldn't be a total loss.

• Like 1

That's because Netflix series get 13 hours to build them as opposed to 2ish for the films. It's why Loki got so great. Despite great acting he made NO SENSE in Thor, but Whedon took what worked and built on it and then he got built on again in Thor 2. 6 or 7 hours in, he feels complete.

I'm not saying you can't get that level of build in shorter bursts of time. Nolan was a king at it in his Batman films. But it's way difficult as compared to DD where they could spend three hours building him up and another three before he and the hero even speak...you get more to go in on there.

It was a good episode, glad they explained what she saw there.  It was weird with it being mostly hints of blue aside from the underground part and the ending.  When fast forwarding commercials the bright colors would be jarring after seeing a segment with not much to it.

At first I was thinking "How the fuck hasn't the phone battery not died out yet after all those hours"  She did explain it saying Fitz did that but man I could sure go for a battery like that.  Didn't expect a potential love triangle to happen though.  It's one thing to explain it with him on the other planet.  But man if he comes back things are going to get awkward.