DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Brett Dalton wants to change the HYDRA logo.

Thanks for this. Grant Ward is maybe my favourite Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. character since Turn, Turn, Turn in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season One.

Quesada-DDS2-art-98bda.jpg

I grew to like the red suit in Daredevil Season One. Hoping the concept art reflects a new all red suit in Daredevil Season Two. The white on the ground reflects the Punisher's skull logo.

• Like 1

Those rumors are coming from Bleeding Cool, and they lack a lot of substance.  So let's just take them with a grain of salt and not take them too seriously for right now.  

Honestly, I don't see what's so tricky about Iron Fist.  It's basically Enter the Dragon as a TV series.  

Those rumors are coming from Bleeding Cool, and they lack a lot of substance. So let's just take them with a grain of salt and not take them too seriously for right now.

Honestly, I don't see what's so tricky about Iron Fist. It's basically Enter the Dragon as a TV series.

I think the big question about Iron Fist is: is Danny still the blue eyed blond guy who finds the magical Asian City or do you cast an Asian to play him for diversity?

Those rumors are coming from Bleeding Cool, and they lack a lot of substance. So let's just take them with a grain of salt and not take them too seriously for right now.

Honestly, I don't see what's so tricky about Iron Fist. It's basically Enter the Dragon as a TV series.

I think the big question about Iron Fist is: is Danny still the blue eyed blond guy who finds the magical Asian City or do you cast an Asian to play him for diversity?

As Spock would say, "That question is best left for diplomats."

The way I see it, Danny Rand is Danny Rand.  He's a rich privileged white kid who because of a jealous rich white dude loses his parents and almost his life and he takes refuge in a mystical city.  Then he returns home to reclaim his legacy. 

If you look at the way Marvel casts characters, they sort of keep it close to the original for major characters.  The exception are supporting or tertiary character.  Hence, you have a minor character like Jeryn Hogarth getting gender bended.  Ben Urich gets race bended.  Chiwetel Ejior is playing Baron Mordo in Doctor Strange.  Idris Elba plays Heimdall.  Tadanobu Asano plays Hogun in Thor.  Most of them are either minor or supporting characters, or like the latter two, no one really cares about them and they barely have any lines and marginal screentime.   And the reason you can do that is because they are minor or supporting characters and not the big stars.  No one complains or brings up the question, Marvel gets to say they are diverse and are progressive, while most of the main heroes are still white males. 

Despite all the outlets making claims of a minority or alternate casting for the new Spider-Man movie, they cast another white kid to play Peter Parker.  No Miles Morales or a race bended Peter Parker.

I mean, I guess you could cast an Asian guy as Danny Rand/Iron Fist, but why?  He's not Asian or part Asian.  Is it racist to see white kid learn martial arts in an ancient hidden city in Asia?  

I'd kinda like to see the Inhumans movie canceled just because the only way I think it gets scrapped is if Marvel realizes the push to replace mutants/X-Men with Inhumans is wrongheaded and gives up the idea.

That said, I still expect to see an Inhumans movie in a few years.

The way I see it, Danny Rand is Danny Rand. He's a rich privileged white kid who because of a jealous rich white dude loses his parents and almost his life and he takes refuge in a mystical city. Then he returns home to reclaim his legacy.

If you look at the way Marvel casts characters, they sort of keep it close to the original for major characters. The exception are supporting or tertiary character. Hence, you have a minor character like Jeryn Hogarth getting gender bended. Ben Urich gets race bended. Chiwetel Ejior is playing Baron Mordo in Doctor Strange. Idris Elba plays Heimdall. Tadanobu Asano plays Hogun in Thor. Most of them are either minor or supporting characters, or like the latter two, no one really cares about them and they barely have any lines and marginal screentime. And the reason you can do that is because they are minor or supporting characters and not the big stars. No one complains or brings up the question, Marvel gets to say they are diverse and are progressive, while most of the main heroes are still white males.

Despite all the outlets making claims of a minority or alternate casting for the new Spider-Man movie, they cast another white kid to play Peter Parker. No Miles Morales or a race bended Peter Parker.

I mean, I guess you could cast an Asian guy as Danny Rand/Iron Fist, but why? He's not Asian or part Asian. Is it racist to see white kid learn martial arts in an ancient hidden city in Asia?

Human Torch is a pretty major switch though.

Iron Fist isn't a major character though. It's nowhere close to the same thing as switching Peter with Miles. There are literally generations of people who've grown up with Peter Parker whereas 90% of the general public has no clue who Miles is.

To me, it's more analogous to making Sam Jackson Nick Fury. Comic fans recognize it from Ultimates but I wager most people think the character was created for him while the ones who do remember Fury Classic don't really care enough to be bothered by the switch.

I can definitely see them hiring an Asian American actor to break up the ethnic monotony of the Marvel U and I don't see how it'd ruin anything. He would've been way too old to play it now but to me the all-time perfect dream choice for the role would've been Brandon Lee.

The way I see it, Danny Rand is Danny Rand. He's a rich privileged white kid who because of a jealous rich white dude loses his parents and almost his life and he takes refuge in a mystical city. Then he returns home to reclaim his legacy.

If you look at the way Marvel casts characters, they sort of keep it close to the original for major characters. The exception are supporting or tertiary character. Hence, you have a minor character like Jeryn Hogarth getting gender bended. Ben Urich gets race bended. Chiwetel Ejior is playing Baron Mordo in Doctor Strange. Idris Elba plays Heimdall. Tadanobu Asano plays Hogun in Thor. Most of them are either minor or supporting characters, or like the latter two, no one really cares about them and they barely have any lines and marginal screentime. And the reason you can do that is because they are minor or supporting characters and not the big stars. No one complains or brings up the question, Marvel gets to say they are diverse and are progressive, while most of the main heroes are still white males.

Despite all the outlets making claims of a minority or alternate casting for the new Spider-Man movie, they cast another white kid to play Peter Parker. No Miles Morales or a race bended Peter Parker.

I mean, I guess you could cast an Asian guy as Danny Rand/Iron Fist, but why? He's not Asian or part Asian. Is it racist to see white kid learn martial arts in an ancient hidden city in Asia?

Human Torch is a pretty major switch though.

Yeah but that was a Josh Trank decision for a horrible Fantastic Four movie that bombed at the box office.  That was not a Marvel/Kevin Feige/Jeph Loeb decision.  Thus it does not count.  

To me, it's more analogous to making Sam Jackson Nick Fury. Comic fans recognize it from Ultimates but I wager most people think the character was created for him while the ones who do remember Fury Classic don't really care enough to be bothered by the switch.

Hell, the new Sammy L. version of the character has become so popular and integral to the Marvel universe that they actually replaced the original Fury with the new model in the 616.

I want the story that's Hulkesque, except milquetoast white guy transforms into an inappropriate, angry, first appearance Luke Cage type "big scary" black dude.

Would you accept the opposite idea?

Looks like season 2 of Daredevil is borrowing from Garth Ennis.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRJ2TUtWwAAgjpM.png:large

http://i.imgur.com/BM0TID1.jpg

Possibly out of character, but at the time, I remember finding Punisher completely mind-fucking Daredevil and forcing him to basically violate his code to be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Looks like season 2 of Daredevil is borrowing from Garth Ennis.

Possibly out of character, but at the time, I remember finding Punisher completely mind-fucking Daredevil and forcing him to basically violate his code to be pretty awesome.

Ennis always had a ridiculous hard-on for humiliating every costume-wearing superhero in his comics. He made the Punisher into such a ridiculous Mary Sue that he repeatedly took out Daredevil, Spider-man, Wolverine, and even the Hulk; and did it all with ease and with a contemptuous smirk of scorn. (And I don't buy that Murdock would've actually pulled that trigger on the rooftop; his character would be more like "It's YOUR choice to murder people, Frank, and I'm not going to let you drag me down to your level.")

Finally watched the AoS premiere. It was basically the show I wanted all along. Superpowered spy stuff with super powers, gadgets, and supervillains. They also did a good job keeping characters off the board but in the picture to avoid overloading the episode. Really great and night and day with previous seasons. Hoping they can keep it going.