DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: DA HIT SQUAD

RIPPA

As mentioned elsewhere - Fat Frank has passed away. When I started to think about it - it is impossible to properly express how important JAPW (and the East Coast Indy scene) was too the growth of this message board - and by extension - this band of misfits we call a community.

One only needs to look at the archives of the Road Reports to see JAPW pop up... oh all the time. One also only needs to see the names of the guys who wrestled there to figure out what it was that we all fucking loved.

So for me - it only seemed fitting to pick someone from that era. Da Hit Squad seemed most appropriate.

Safe Home Frank

THE SHAOLIN WRECKING CREW (Magic & Suba) vs. THE HIT SQUAD (Monsta Mack & Mafia) w/ Johnny D 

RD: One of the guest ring announcers calls Johnny D by the wrong name. Early on one of the students passes another's sneaker to Suba as Suba's thing is he yells "SHOE!" all the time. Of course, Suba immediately starts chewing and tearing the thing apart as the students laugh as they've just cost someone a shoe. It seems like a stalemate at the start until Monsta ends up surprising everyone by slamming Suba and I successfully goad him into do muscular poses afterward. Suba DIES DIES DIES in this match because as much has he's laid the students to waste on past student shows, he's taken it in the past two months against the Hit Squad and the Christopher Street Connection. Suba takes a release German and a half nelson suplex at one point and guys that fat aren't supposed to land on their heads like that. He also took some evil shots like a chop right to the side of the face. Mafia ended up getting in a tope out onto both Suba and Magic while they were out on the floor. Monsta teases doing a dive, but he opts to stop, step through the ropes and then do something that I forget onto the pile. As they brawled on the floor, Monsta and Magic ended up breaking part of the wall, not going all the way through, but you could see where a panel or something cracked. The finish to this was with two tables being set up in the ring in opposite corners. Mafia teased going for the burning hammer on Suba but he couldn't lift him, it seemed like Suba was going to try to avalanche him through the table, but Mafia countered with a back drop through the table, which he sold the damage of great as he grabbed his groin like he pulled something, to the point I actually bought he might have hurt himself. Somewhere in here, Suba got murdered with a chair shot too. Monsta and Magic both got in the ring and were fighting over moves in the other corner with both Suba and Mafia down. Magic seemed to have the upper hand, teasing the Hellsmasher, but having it blocked. He set up Monsta for a suplex or a brainbuster, but as he had him up, Mafia charged and hit him with a spear through the table to get the win.

PP: Suba bumps way too well for a guy his size including taking an exploder from Monsta… then again he’s already shown that he can take a shot first from the CSC and now from DHS. This was much better than I thought it would be as we all expected a bunch of fat boy no-selling… Magic sort of “lived up” to his end of the equation but everyone else’s selling was quite good, especially Suba’s given his experience. Suba actually sets up the backdrop on Mafia by giving him this awesome-looking UN FOUL, hence Mafia’s sell-job. There is no need for any of us to yell for Mafia to sell the schvanz as he spends a couple of minutes selling the shot before recovering to spear Suba out of his boots for the finish. Shockingly fun match.

MH: I dug this a bunch. Suba had his ass in the air all night, dying like a man and should be commended for risking death in a charity hall to make this match. Everyone did their part, though. Even the ropes for taking Mafia’s hanging upside down in them in celebration after the end of the match. I will note here that the ropes did need re-tightening after the match.

THE SHAOLIN WRECKING CREW (Magic & Suba) vs. THE HIT SQUAD (Monsta Mack & Mafia) w/ Johnny D 

That was quite the spectacle. I must've yelled out loud at least three times in that match, usually something prefaced by "FUCKING". And then among the screencaps on display afterwards were Wahoo McDaniel holding up his index finger and Dennis Hopper smiling. That pretty much sums it up.

Hit Squad is my second favorite fat boy team right behind the Headhunters. 

The third team, naturally, was the SWC.  I got to meet Magic and Suba when Magic worked an NWA Virginia show.  Great dudes.  Really humble and down to earth.

RIP Fat Frank.  I miss you already, man.