DVDVR Message Board

RIP "Fat Frank" Iadevaia

Pete

JAPW promoter Frank Iadevaia passed away this morning out of nowhere. This one hits home as he was one of the good ones... JAPW was a hell of a promotion at its peak as they transitioned away from the blood-n-guts garbage wrestling and really became more like ROH before ROH. Always a fun show to be had at the Charity Hall in Bayonne and later Rahway, and Frank was always super-cool with us.

RIP.

• Like 3

There are very few people who have had as big of an impact on my life as Frank.

He gave me a chance when nobody else would, and made it possible for me to live my dream. 

Even more importantly, he introduced me to so many people who have since become part of my extended family.

He was hilarious and bombastic, a loyal friend, and a good man.

Long after I'd worn out my welcome in Jersey All Pro Wrestling, he'd bring me back in for a show here and there, just for old times' sake. 

I can't believe I'll never see him again.
  • Like 3

Oh Man that sucks, I love JAPW, I was actually planning on making my return to indy wrestling for their next show.

The Anniversary show in November? Do it... I was going to stay local for HOH in Queens that same night but this should be quite the public memorial for him.

Posted this first in the wrestling thread thinking i was here so now let me put it in its right place.

When I was getting big into indie wrestling in the summer of 2005 it was JAPW's internet wrestling show that exposed me to alot of guys like Jay Lethal Homicide Low Ki Teddy Hart Trent Acid and many more. Sad day. Here is one of my favorite JAPW matches

• Like 1

Several lifetimes ago Ray and I were going to a tournament run by a certain promoter whose name doesn't warrant being mentioned in polite conversation (but it rhymes with "Mickey Otaku"). He'd promised he would provide a shuttle to the show from Queens, so we went out to the designated spot and waited.

and waited.

and waited.

and gave up 3 hours later after he hung up on someone else in our group when they tried to track him down. A little while after word had gotten out on that debacle, Frank himself messaged me (he lurked on the board) and said he would drive us to the show himself (pretty sure his direct quote was "I would pick you up in my truck") if that was on his hands. Feeding me a line? Maybe, maybe not. But Frank was that kind of guy.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys...if I ever die and they do a memorial show in my honor...

Please don't book Danny Demanto on it.

Ha. His match (EC Negro replaced Reefer) was probably the best thing on the first half of the show. Phil joked that a morbidly obese Italian stiffing a fat Puerto Rican was the perfect match to run if you're honoring Frank.

• Like 1

Trying to come up with the right words but I can't. It was like The Big Chill of wrestling shows. Seemed like 90% of anyone who ever worked a show in the Bayonne days made it there. Was running around hugging people until after midnight. Very emotional night.

I still can't believe that we're all still alive and kicking, and out of all people, Frank is gone. 

• Like 1