DVDVR Message Board

I don't get the hate for the final segment at all.  Triple H's micwork was great because he never actually completely turned heel.  It wasn't like him going "Daniel Bryan sucks, everyone who cheers for him is a nerd", it was all coded in corporate-speak about "This is for the good of the company" and rah-rah WWE bullshit that we've been hearing for years BUT it was all done in a very heelish manner.  This is like post-modern WWE, where the villain is the company who thinks they know what we want and the hero is a guy who is the antithesis of that: he's small, he's not "ripped", he's shaggy, he's uncool, and he isn't buying into the pro-WWE rhetoric.

And why would Bryan destroy the "New Corporation" tonight?  How would that have been beneficial to him or the angle?

I hate to say it, because a lot of folks are gonna be angry at me, but if you hated the final segment...you've probably just been worked.  

I mean, seriously, WWE has done a slow-build of Bryan over the last couple months.  Putting him in segments that allow him to stay over and gradually build up this huge fanbase.  Then they gradually increase the push...then a little bit more...a little bit more.  Then they put him in the main event, they give Bryan stuff to say that will get him over with the fans/smarks/the internet (Talking about being a "Wrestler", mocking Cena's wrestling, talking (in code) about wrestling in Japan and ROH), they give him the title and then they take it away by putting him up against the biggest opponent of all that stuff: Triple H.  You're supposed to be angry over that last segment, because it showed just how much he's up against.  There's The Shield, there's Orton, there's Helmsley/McMahon.  If Daniel Bryan comes out tonight and beats up Orton and Triple H, the angle is dead because we've already seen him get his revenge.

Because Bryan didn't even get a punch in on Orton or Helmsley, you've got to tune in next week to see if he'll get it, and the next few months to see the gradual process where Bryan acquires allies (Big Show, Henry, Ziggler? Kane? Cena?, Austin?) to level the playing field and allow him to get closer and closer to getting revenge on Orton and/or Triple H.  Honestly, I wouldn't let him land a punch on Orton or HHH until at least the next PPV, if not later.  And Bryan didn't look like a putz tonight, he looked like a guy with tons of guts who'll go through a brick-wall if it means a chance to take a swing at Triple H.  WWE is setting the table for a monster-push for Bryan here.  I don't think I've ever seen them stack the deck THIS BAD against a face, save for Cena in YEARS.

People complaining right now are basically doing the equivalent of going to see a blockbuster movie and grumbling because Vin Diesel/Iron Man/Luke Skywalker hasn't killed the bad-guy-racers/Loki/Darth Vader in the first half hour.  This is literally THE FIRST SHOW of an angle that's going to take months.  Now, if Daniel Bryan is still getting beat up in 3-4 months and John Cena comes back to save the day for him, THEN you can complain.

• Like 7

A tiny part of me hopes no one will stand with Bryan and we end up with a video montage of him going to Japan to find the man that taught him the deadly kneestrike that felled the immortal John Cena as back-up.

Posted Image

Indeed, and KENTA will give him Shinsuke Nakamura's phone number.

Considering KENTA uses the Yes Lock now, I'm going with him being Bryan's inspiration rather than Nakamura. 

Why should I not expect him to be Stone Cold 2013? I mean fuck, everything about this angle is a carbon copy of 1997

Would you mind elaborating some? Again, I'm not quite sure I get the Bryan/Austin comparisons at all. Other than the fact that Austin's character motivation was feeling held down, there's way more differences in their characters, backstory, and portrayal in the company. I mean, a much more apt comparison is this a redux of SurSer '99 with Bryan as Mick and Orton as Rock.

Actually, there's a shit ton more overlap in the way Mick and Bryan were presented than the Austin/Bryan deal. Indy darlings, respected for their work, ability to effectively portray heels and babyfaces, could do serious and comedy angles equally well, and had their title runs presented as underdogs achieving the impossible.

And, if that comparison works, well...Mick took his fair share of heel beatdowns.

It seems like no one wants to accept any narrative that doesn't seen Bryan somehow replacing Cena as the face of the company. And, it's probably not going to happen. Even if Cena retires tomorrow they'll find some other clean-cut all-American babyface and try to use him to sell kid's merch. Even fucking Bret Hart got shoved aside for Big Sexy for a year. 

Not that Bryan isn't going to be a massively huge star when it's all said and done, but like Punk, like guys like Jericho and Edge, like Foley it's naive to expect that he's going to on a multi-year run where he's pushed at the level of  Hogan, Austin or Cena.

How are you not seeing the similarity? This is a guy who caught fire with the crowd but doesn't fit the McMahon mold. Vince/Austin started because Vince said, "Hey we like you, and you could actually be the face of the company, you just need to change this and this and this." That's pretty much where it seemed to be going with the haircutting segment a few weeks back with he and Vince, although it seemed to take a different direction with Steph and HHH's promos tonight. In general, its clear that the McMahon attitude toward Bryan is pretty similar, although it's more of a "Hey we like you, but you can NEVER be the face of the company."

Still, the parallel with Austin is clear as day. The McMahon's will stop at nothing to keep this rebel who doesn't walk, talk or look like their prototypical champion away from the belt.

I don't like the Foley comparison because I think Bryan can be more than that. Bryan can really be the face of the company. The way they booked it, Foley was a great story and a great angle and a great moment but he was never going to be that #1 guy. I think Bryan can be, but you've got to do it right. It's not over because they slipped up tonight, but it is worth acknowledging that they did slip up, IMO.

Why didn't CM Punk just go beat the shit out of Heyman after he disposed of Axel? I mean, Heyman is standing there with his arm in a sling about 15 feet away from Punk and all Punk does is just stand there and stare at him. Seemed like the crowd was kind of waiting for it and nothing happened.

I wanna know what everyone on here who didn't like the angle wanted to happen instead tonight. Because I guarantee you it's as farfetched as anything that will be said on this board.

Sit back, watch things unfold, don't speculate. If you get angry, get angry if Bryan doesn't get his revenge at the end. Because honestly, this micromanaging by a bunch of armchair bookers is pretty bonkers.

This wasn't a burial or anything close to it. This was, as was Punk dealing with Heyman last night, a guy blinded by anger who is not seeing things straight and, until he does, won't be able to do what he needs to do in order to be successful. That simple. Don't understand how people can't see it.

This wasn't a burial or anything close to it. This was, as was Punk dealing with Heyman last night, a guy blinded by anger who is not seeing things straight and, until he does, won't be able to do what he needs to do in order to be successful.

I like the ring of that.

I thought all the stuff with Daniel Bryan and The McMahon's was fantastic. I'm willing to give them a chance with this slow burn stuff because man after tonight, I really want to see Triple H put in the Yes Lock. That's going to be the Austin moment for Bryan when he finally gets ahold of Triple H and puts him in th Yes lock. It will be like the first time Austin stunned Vince.

Triple H is a more assholeish version of Johnny Ace and it's fantastic. As long as he keeps throwing his power around and makes Bryan go through the equivalent of the tournament in Mortal Kombat to get to him, by the time Bryan gets to Triple H people will be calling for H's head (more so than usual). The heat could be insane when Bryan finally gets a hold of him.

And you know what, Triple H's logic for picking Orton to be the face of the company made perfect sense. He hates Orton, but it's all about business. When Stephanie did that big "come here" hug, that was just the best. The Soprano's/McMahon comparison earlier in the threat makes sense. Vince as Uncle Junior is spot on. Can't wait till he starts faking going senile only to really start going senile.

I'm too drunk right now to read all 10 pages, but just the fact that there is 10 pages is awesome.  Also, you all are a bunch of fucking marks and I love it.  Never change.  Everything from "b+" to "Shield Guys" was fucking brilliant and anyone who complained about it is even more of a mark than the rest of you are!  Good god that was a great Raw.

The Shield are positioned perfectly, Dolph gets an actual role, Show looked great and Bryan is Bryan (He can't be Stone Cold get over it).  Just a bunch of great stuff that tied in with the main angle.  HHH is finally back in the role he was born to play. The heels are actually getting a reaction for once and somehow half the people here are pissed about it.  Everyone involved is set up to come out of it stronger.

I also really like that they are keeping the Punk/Heyman thing separate.  The potential for a Punk/Bryan super team is there. but it needs to be Bryan by himself for a while. 

• Like 1

BA Star CM Punk, BA Star. Unreal.

Also unreal - Punk getting his gimpy leg smashed by Axel and then Hulking Up and beating him down. You fucks that always complain about Cena overcoming the odds should see how fucking ridiculous it is when it's a guy that should be working in Burger King spitting on your onion rings. Yet you don't because he was in ROH 8 years ago. Shameful.

• Like 2

I thought the closing angle was fine, if they did not have the entire roster on the ramp. Bryan did look stupid, not looking for Reigns. Guys whole deal is spearing people out of nowhere.

Reminds me of when me and my friends were younger we'd often debate whether or not putting a hand under your chin would nullify the Stunner. You could gameplan effectively with such a strategy... "Wait a second, where's the big weaselly looking one... I know I'm gonna flop on my belly instead of slowly turn around"

• Like 1

Also unreal - Punk getting his gimpy leg smashed by Axel and then Hulking Up and beating him down. You fucks that always complain about Cena overcoming the odds should see how fucking ridiculous it is when it's a guy that should be working in Burger King spitting on your onion rings. Yet you don't because he was in ROH 8 years ago. Shameful.

Will you man up for once and go off character.  Punk's segment was awesome, but I need someone to help me champion the greatness of corporate HHH and friends.  Rev is over here posting about turning off the show during the great opening segment and you are still bitching about Punk.  Step up.

I would kill to see a training video of a heel getting ready to face, like, Sheamus...and his manager is training him that when he hears rhythmic clapping or stomping, to just lay down immediately.

"Don't turn around....get down GET DOWN!!!!"

Will you man up for once and go off character.  Punk's segment was awesome, but I need someone to help me champion the greatness of corporate HHH and friends.  Rev is over here posting about turning off the show during the great opening segment and you are still bitching about a Punk segment

I can't read 10 pages, I read the Summerslam thread and it was a butt.

You accused me once of hating on HHH and he was the best he has been in years tonight.  There are about a billion comments worth disagreeing with in this thread and none of them have to do with Punk.  Stop treating this like a house show!  It's time to give the people something different.

People hate Triple H because he did something they didn't like 10 years ago when they were young and carefree. Now they're all miserable, bitter and old they can only cling on to things from their youth, which in this case is Triple H is a bad wrestler, bad promo, and bad person because he didn't job to RVD or Booker T. Phantom Lord has been running his "Idiot Smark" gimmick for 10 years, you think he's moved on with his life and become a positive member of his community? Hell no.

• Like 1

O yeah... Teddy fucking Long was the only one clapping during Orton's entrance and that was also really really great.  People are looking at the roster on the stage as a negative, but to me it makes Bryan look even stronger for standing up to the super group.

WWE actively trolling the Internet marks is starting to become equal parts annoying and legitimately hilarious.Do any of you actually just chill the fuck out and watch the show anymore? It's a story. Let them tell the fucking story you instant gratification junkies. Do you stand up in the middle of Batman and scream that Bane is making him look weak?! Just watch the show and see where the story goes before you rush to judgment two segments into a six month story for fuck's sake.

• Like 7