DVDVR Message Board

Last segment was fine, Bryan looked strong against the Shield who were built up all show. I'm down for a long chase for the title. Honestly, they should just scrap the rest of the Kane story line and have Bryan recruit the Wyatts at Survivor Series to take down the corporate machine. 

Are Los Matadores going to be masked? Could they put Rosa in Mantaur's old bull head?

• Like 2

Instead of Bryan having to win the Rumble to get to Orton - they should make him have to go through Brock Lesnar in a cage. Either that or make Brock Bryan's first opponent post-WM win.

Or any excuse you want to come up with for those two to stiff each other into the mat.

• Like 1

No, don't ditch the fucking "mop top".  What do people on these boards have against wrestlers without fucking douchebag military cuts?  Wrestlers should have long hair, just as bikers should have beards.  End of fucking story, there is no debate here.

Dutch Mantel said it best: "If you saw a wrestler in the 70's walking down the street, you'd say either that's a wrestler or the circus is in town. Nowadays, wrestlers walk down the street and look just like everyone else."

If that segment leads to Bryan snapping, and going after the McMahons one, by one. Then fine that could work. But if he comes back next week acting like the bullied nerd in school, then it won't .

And if he does snap. Ditch the stupid mop top, and learn how to throw a Goddamn punch. Because those elbows may look good in Japan, but they look like crap when you're clearing a ring in the WWE.

you know who threw great "ring-clearing" punches? Stone Cold. :)

God I miss the Austin-era. There would be like 15 people in the ring, and he would kick all their asses like Bruce Lee used to do.

Damn it, if Low-Ki wasn't such a fucking headcase he would have been a modern day Austin.

The recent trend toward Attitude Era navel-gazing is the worst.

On the note about babyfaces not helping Bryan. A) It's heels and babyfaces all lined out so you know some uneasy detente has been reached. One motherfucker makes a wrong move and a prison riot breaks out. B) How often has every single person switched between babyface and heel? There's no love lost between anyone on the roster. I mean, it was treated as a big deal when Show and Henry said they'd team up because of their history. Bryan, Vince and Hunter have all switched multiple times. I mean, fuck...Daniel Bryan's running buddy for a year was beaten and destroyed by a bunch of psychotic hillbillies and D-Bry didn't seem overly concerned. Do we really expect like fucking Miz to storm the Bastille?

Now, would John Cena have saved Bryan? Of course, he would. And then everyone would have made fun of him for being a goody-two shoes.

Remember, these are wrestlers who either worked in, or grew up watching the Russoian dystopia that has poisoned the modern wrestling well. They saw when Hacksaw threw down the American flag and donned the Canadian garb. Very little trust these days among babyfaces. 

• Like 4

No, don't ditch the fucking "mop top".  What do people on these boards have against wrestlers without fucking douchebag military cuts?  Wrestlers should have long hair, just as bikers should have beards.  End of fucking story, there is no debate here.

Dutch Mantel said it best: "If you saw a wrestler in the 70's walking down the street, you'd say either that's a wrestler or the circus is in town. Nowadays, wrestlers walk down the street and look just like everyone else."

Besides Bryan looks 5x tougher looking with a crew cut. 

I used to love viewing wrestling as a never-ending war between the good guys & bad guys. I haven't viewed it like that in years.

I used to love it when a long-time face would turn heel, and they'd have him do a promo in the heel locker room with other heels excited that this guy is now on their side.

Best, and last (that I remember) example is Bulldog getting congratulated in the heel locker room after he turned on Diesel.

I used to love viewing wrestling as a never-ending war between the good guys & bad guys. I haven't viewed it like that in years.I used to love it when a long-time face would turn heel, and they'd have him do a promo in the heel locker room with other heels excited that this guy is now on their side.Best, and last (that I remember) example is Bulldog getting congratulated in the heel locker room after he turned on Diesel.

I always liked that, too. I always read that as a justification for being an amoral person. "See! It's OKAY being awful to others! Welcome aboard to the land of cheap shots and using salts as a weapon!"

Look at this mother fucker here...

I don't mind Bryan getting beat down. I mean, there are 30-plus RAW's until Wrestlemania XX (if that's where all this is leading), so he's gonna have to have some weeks like this.

I do, however, have a problem with him being booked to look like a complete idiot. Why should I not expect him to be Stone Cold 2013? I mean fuck, everything about this angle is a carbon copy of 1997. So yes, I do expect Daniel Bryan to come out and raise hell like Austin did. I don't expect him to voluntarily leave the arena unless its in handcuffs and if he happens to do so, I sure as hell expect him to come back and outsmart the bad guys. 

For him to walk out without incident, then come back and walk into a 7-on-1 fight that he had no chance of winning is completely fucking stupid. Jesus, at least try to sneak attack them. The idea that after everything that happened at Summerslam and the opening of RAW, that Bryan is just standing back in gorilla waiting for HHH to call for his music and summon him out, is mind-numbingly stupid.

Look at this mother fucker here...

What did I do now?

Why should I not expect him to be Stone Cold 2013? I mean fuck, everything about this angle is a carbon copy of 1997

Would you mind elaborating some? Again, I'm not quite sure I get the Bryan/Austin comparisons at all. Other than the fact that Austin's character motivation was feeling held down, there's way more differences in their characters, backstory, and portrayal in the company. I mean, a much more apt comparison is this a redux of SurSer '99 with Bryan as Mick and Orton as Rock.

Actually, there's a shit ton more overlap in the way Mick and Bryan were presented than the Austin/Bryan deal. Indy darlings, respected for their work, ability to effectively portray heels and babyfaces, could do serious and comedy angles equally well, and had their title runs presented as underdogs achieving the impossible.

And, if that comparison works, well...Mick took his fair share of heel beatdowns.

It seems like no one wants to accept any narrative that doesn't seen Bryan somehow replacing Cena as the face of the company. And, it's probably not going to happen. Even if Cena retires tomorrow they'll find some other clean-cut all-American babyface and try to use him to sell kid's merch. Even fucking Bret Hart got shoved aside for Big Sexy for a year. 

Not that Bryan isn't going to be a massively huge star when it's all said and done, but like Punk, like guys like Jericho and Edge, like Foley it's naive to expect that he's going to on a multi-year run where he's pushed at the level of  Hogan, Austin or Cena.

A tiny part of me hopes no one will stand with Bryan and we end up with a video montage of him going to Japan to find the man that taught him the deadly kneestrike that felled the immortal John Cena as back-up.

Posted Image

Indeed, and KENTA will give him Shinsuke Nakamura's phone number.

• Like 1