DVDVR Message Board

I was searching for a term to use in my last post, but didn't remember exactly what it was until now: concern trolling.Concern trolling annoys the shit out of me.

you couldn't remember the term "trolling"? It's right up there with "hipster" as the most obnoxiously overused term on the internet.
Not "trolling". "Concern trolling". It's a type of trolling in which you try to disrupt debate by pretending to agree with the people you actually disagree with and expressing disingenuous concern about problems their point of view has.

How can anyone who posts on THIS fucking board claim to know anything about the mindset of the "casual fan"?Every time I see someone posting OH WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CASUAL FAN? it's them over-reacting to something and trying to give their complaints artificial weight.

I don't give a single f*ck about the casual fan, but I can recognize a pattern of booking that WWE has continually employed for the last however many years with their main event faces, which makes the live crowds sit on their hands for just about anyone not named John Cena. Then they kill good angles because the casual fans stop responding to them.

The closing RAW angle was the first segment of RAW I've watched live in months, and it felt like something I'd seen so many times before just with a different guy. Jeez, it's not like this is something they only do to faces either - Randy Orton was on fire as a heel after the Rumble, and they immediately cut his balls off by having Shane O'Mac air-punch him into dust. That didn't do Orton any favors either, and that Legacy run died a slow death too (and also stunted Rhodes and DiBiase).

If this goes to WM, Bryan will definitely get "his only shot" on PPV and will get screwed, leading to him winning the Rumble.

I'm not sure if this happens at Night of Champions since I think he'll have to mow down a roadblock or two before then, but I don't know who you put with Orton then.

I was searching for a term to use in my last post, but didn't remember exactly what it was until now: concern trolling.Concern trolling annoys the shit out of me.

you couldn't remember the term "trolling"? It's right up there with "hipster" as the most obnoxiously overused term on the internet.

Not "trolling". "Concern trolling". It's a type of trolling in which you try to disrupt debate by pretending to agree with the people you actually disagree with and expressing disingenuous concern about problems their point of view has.

Which isn't at all what's going on.

If this goes to WM, Bryan will definitely get "his only shot" on PPV and will get screwed, leading to him winning the Rumble.I'm not sure if this happens at Night of Champions since I think he'll have to mow down a roadblock or two before then, but I don't know who you put with Orton then.

We'll see at least one or two instances of Bryan in a handicap match against The Shield and Orton or The Shield, Orton and HHH. That much is pretty much set in stone.

When Cena/Sheamus/Orton were the top faces, them being superfaces who didn't face much adversity was always a complaint. Now you got Bryan/Punk/Ziggler as faces and the machine is the heel faction who won't be booked like idiots, and they will get the upper hand often.

The goalposts have been moved. They've tried to counteract heels getting cheered by turning those guys face and purposefully playing towards the smarkier stereotypes and topics like size and WRESTLING.

The reaction to this angle going forward will be amusing, thats for sure.

IDK, I'm such a mark for Danielson it might be clouding my vision, but it seems pretty stupid and shitty to have the face deal with being screwed by cutting a promo, leaving, and coming back and walking into an obvious trap. Plus I don't trust any storyline involving HHH to effectively put anyone over. 

It was the "concern" part that elluded me for a minute.

I don't know what concern trolling is. But way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people use the term trolling as an easy out online.

I mean, Republican goes on a Democrat forum specifically to talk shit, that's troll. Atheist goes on a religious forum specifically to talk shit, that's a troll. When a guy using the moniker "Dale Hunter" shows up at the Philly sports blog I post at regularly to tell us how much the Flyers suck, that's a troll.

Me or Reggie or whoever not liking how the end segment of Raw was booked isn't trolling, it's having a difference of opinion from you.

Ultimately too often the term "trolling" ends up getting applied to anyone who dares to hold an unpopular opinion, in which case it's really just message board bullying with the victim being painted as the aggressor.

I was referring to the post wondering about what effect this angle will have on the "casual fan" which was pretty much the definiton of "concern trolling".

I was referring to the post wondering about what effect this angle will have on the "casual fan" which was pretty much the definiton of "concern trolling".

It's not remotely that. At most it's projecting one's own opinion onto others.

I think it's pretty clear that all of this is leading up to the WWE stealing my idea of Bryan filling Vince's convertible with vegan ice cream.

I want Brad Maddox to be choked with a tie by Daniel Bryan on Raw some time in the near future, so at least two people did their jobs tonight.

Lastly, I may be late to the party, but Stephanie's music has the words 'self made' in it? Really? Unless I missed it and the rest of the lyric is 'is the opposite of what this heiress is', this is in the running for worst thing on Raw.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty clear that all of this is leading up to the WWE stealing my idea of Bryan filling Vince's convertible with vegan ice cream.I want Brad Maddox to be choked with a tie by Daniel Bryan on Raw some time in the near future, so at least two people did their jobs tonight.Lastly, I may be late to the party, but Stephanie's music has the words 'self made' in it? Really? Unless I missed it and the rest of the lyric is 'is the opposite of what this heiress is', this is in the running for worst thing on Raw.

It would be great if that was self-aware and a joke. Steph does think she's this self-made woman who has achieved her rank and stature on her own merits and not because of her last name or her husband.But we know it's not that.

When Cena/Sheamus/Orton were the top faces, them being superfaces who didn't face much adversity was always a complaint. Now you got Bryan/Punk/Ziggler as faces and the machine is the heel faction who won't be booked like idiots, and they will get the upper hand often.

The goalposts have been moved. They've tried to counteract heels getting cheered by turning those guys face and purposefully playing towards the smarkier stereotypes and topics like size and WRESTLING.

The reaction to this angle going forward will be amusing, thats for sure.

One of the big problems and why I've specifically stopped watching is that the heel faction is the same heel faction from 13 years ago. The job of the heel is to eventually get the babyface over.Can anybody recall who ended up more over after feuding with The Trips & McMahons show?

McMahon-Helmsley Era II: We ended one boom period. Why not forestall another?

I'm thinking part of the reason people might be having problems with the way Bryan's scenario played out tonight is that, as I eluded to earlier, Punk is off on an island doing his own version of "lone face vs. heel stable", only his angle's been going on longer and has progressed to the point where's he's already had some badass moments. Maybe we are chomping at the bit at little too hard to see Bryan catch up to where Punk is.

• Like 2

It's not remotely that. At most it's projecting one's own opinion onto others.
Pretending to not have a specific opinion but being worried about how something might go over with those that do is concern trolling, which, IMO was what was happening with that post.

Daniel Bryan beat Randy Orton.

Daniel Bryan beat Sheamus

Daniel Bryan beat Kane.

Daniel Bryan beat 3 big dudes in one night.

Daniel Bryan beat John Cena.

Daniel Bryan has no balls and the crowd has been conditioned to think he's a jobber and he's not Steve Austin.

• Like 11

I felt we needed Good Guy Drew McIntyre to step in and help Daniel Bryan in that ending segment.

"Oh, definitely. Definitely, Bryan. You should totally take on the Evolution Corporation. I've got your back, man. Here, I'll even hold your coat for you."

Daniel Bryan beat Randy Orton.Daniel Bryan beat SheamusDaniel Bryan beat Kane.Daniel Bryan beat 3 big dudes in one night.Daniel Bryan beat John Cena.Daniel Bryan has no balls and the crowd has been conditioned to think he's a jobber and he's not Steve Austin.

I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I fucking hate Randy Orton more than anyone in this thread.  I fast forward or change the channel when I see the dude.  I quit watching wrestling for the better part of a decade because I hated Evolution so fucking much.  They completely ruined WWE for me on all levels.  Vince is a freak whose schtick is miserable without Austin and Stephanie McMahon is a monstrous human being.  

All that said, you people are nuts.  This show was top to bottom fucking amazing and Daniel Bryan looks like a monster in training.  This was his learning curve.  He needed to lose tonight.  He'll be back with a vengeance and it will be incredible.  They can't just blow their load all at once.  This is supposed to last to 'Mania.  Cena's gone, guys.  It's all Bryan and Punk from here.  The horrible impatience and whining here is reminding me of another reason that I quit watching, all of the endless negativity towards everything.

(Though if HHH really is still the worst guy ever from 2002 and you folks are right, I'll happily admit I'm wrong.)

• Like 1