DVDVR Message Board

I was wondering what they could do with Punk after Brock, but I think it's pretty good writing to make it essentially Paul fighting for his life.  I really liked that part of Punk's promo.  "I should have taken your arm home with me.  A beating won't stop me.  The only thing I care about is killing you and I will never stop."

It gives Heyman license to be absolutely ruthless and lets him keep finding things to throw at Punk for a few months while still having the big Heenan tease of getting what he deserves.

The moment was right for a Stone Cold moment but they wanted to put over the new Corporation first and foremost tonight.  Sure, he could've came out with a chair or something.  I think he should've came from under the ring with a chainsaw through the mat.  However, their main thing was to get over this new family alliance and that wasn't going to happen if Bryan came in and ran everyone off.  It'll happen, just give it time.

It is all about timing though, and WWE blew it again.

This crowd was rabid for Bryan to come out and whip some ass after what happened to him last night, and he failed. I don't care how stacked the deck was against him, this was lightning in the bottle and WWE once again chose to make every casual fan feel stupid for getting behind him.

I can't wait to reference this thread, when Bryan randomly gets his revenge in three weeks, while RAW is in some town like Wichita, KS and it's met with total silence (or chants for John Cena).

You have to strike when the iron is hot. 

Christ. The three most natural heels on the roster; HHH, Randy Orton and Vince F'n McMahon (WITH The Shield doing their bidding) needed more help to establish themselves in their new roles as opposed to Daniel Bryan in his as #1 babyface? 

That's hilarious.

• Like 2

I only watched the last segment, but good gawd is that ever true. 

I was thinking about Austin while HHH was yammering on for 15 minutes, and he would have absolutely beat the sh*t out of The Shield and all three guys in the ring.

Austin kicked the crap out of people week after week and it was one of the hottest periods in the history of wrestling. 

They would have put so much more steam on Bryan had he come out and kicked the crap out of everyone, as opposed to failing against the odds.

People love winners. They don't want to cheer for people who get their ass kicked.

I don't know why WWE fights that sentiment so vehemently.

I know Bryan will come out on top in the end, but jeez - why do they always have to make it so hard for the masses to cheer a guy?

You know what else is the problem with all this?

They're already running a variation of the same "underdog vs. heel stable" angle with Punk.

Wait, are people really complaining about WWE not booking a babyface strong enough?

And the Austin comparison is such an apples and oranges thing. I think we kind of need to lay off those kind of comparisons. Honestly, Bryan's push/character reminds me far more of Eddy's. And think about how Eddy's main event push went. The huge underdog against Lesnar, the mid-card guy who survived struggles into the crowd pulled him from the tag ranks into the main events, and a guy who had to prove himself night after night to show the heels he was truly the top guy.

• Like 2

The moment was right for a Stone Cold moment but they wanted to put over the new Corporation first and foremost tonight.  Sure, he could've came out with a chair or something.  I think he should've came from under the ring with a chainsaw through the mat.  However, their main thing was to get over this new family alliance and that wasn't going to happen if Bryan came in and ran everyone off.  It'll happen, just give it time.

It is all about timing though, and WWE blew it again.

This crowd was rabid for Bryan to come out and whip some ass after what happened to him last night, and he failed. I don't care how stacked the deck was against him, this was lightning in the bottle and WWE once again chose to make every casual fan feel stupid for getting behind him.

I can't wait to reference this thread, when Bryan randomly gets his revenge in three weeks, while RAW is in some town like Wichita, KS and it's met with total silence (or chants for John Cena).

You have to strike when the iron is hot. 

Christ. The three most natural heels on the roster; HHH, Randy Orton and Vince F'n McMahon (WITH The Shield doing their bidding) needed more help to establish themselves in their new heel role as opposed to Daniel Bryan in his? 

That's hilarious.

I didn't say I agreed with what they were doing.  I was just trying to explain their rationale.  Personally, I was hoping he was going to come out and destroy someone because of how pissed he was for last night.  Instead, he just saunters in from the side of the ramp.  He should've blasted in somehow and wrecked shop.

They had to establish the new heel stable on RAW. There was still questions on how much of an alliance it was.

No way should D-Bry gotten any victory tonight. This is the type of stuff people would hate if Cena did it the day after.

• Like 8

My problem isn't that Bryan got his ass kicked, as there were 7 people up there, but the fact that they emasculated the ENTIRE roster. There was no need for any of them to be out there. If you are going to have them out there, at least have guys like Show, Henry, Usos et al, try to help but be held back by other wrestlers who are maybe afraid for their jobs.

Plus, this trend of the last several years of wrestlers just meekly walking out whenever security is called is super lamesauce. You're a trained fighter and they are guys who are too dumb to become cops, take a couple of them out!

• Like 1

The whole point of watching weekly wrestling is to want to see what happens the next week. I want to see Daniel Bryan put one of The Corporate Evolution into the Yes Lock. I want to see him blast someone with a running knee. I want to see the other faces crushed by the McMahon's tonight rally with him and go after them like Sting's Squadron.The angle took the first step tonight. There's a lot more to go.

• Like 1

I kept expecting a face turn from Shield but that didn't come to pass.  I'm still not writing that off entirely, as they seem to have made it clear they offer themeslves to the highest bidder.  Come Survivor Series time I'm predicting DBD buys them off to feud with HHH, Orton, and whomever else they recruit.

My problem isn't that Bryan got his ass kicked, as there were 7 people up there, but the fact that they emasculated the ENTIRE roster. There was no need for any of them to be out there. If you are going to have them out there, at least have guys like Show, Henry, Usos et al, try to help but be held back by other wrestlers who are maybe afraid for their jobs.

Plus, this trend of the last several years of wrestlers just meekly walking out whenever security is called is super lamesauce. You're a trained fighter and they are guys who are too dumb to become cops, take a couple of them out!

As much as I hate his character, you could always count on Sheamus to stupidly brogue kick a rent-a-cop.

• Like 2

Tonight was about establishing how deep the shit anyone who opposes The Regime is going to be in. Now we know just how big the mountain Bryan is going to have to climb before he gets his big moment.

This all ends with Bryan holding the WWE title belt and leading a massive YES! chant. Some of you really need to chill.

• Like 8

They had to establish the new heel stable on RAW. There was still questions on how much of an alliance it was.

No way should D-Bry gotten any victory tonight. This is the type of stuff people would hate if Cena did it the day after.

It's the McMahons! It's the same heel stable it always is! Why do they need to be established? Bryan shouldn't have beaten them individually, but at least make your roster, the people we're supposed to pay to see not look like one of Dolfan's cute gifs of innocent kittens.

Steph and Randy's hug was a perfect heel moment, though.

Bryan being overpowered and beaten is fine. Bryan looking like a chump is not. Again, go back to the opening segment. He talked a good game, but when Steph raised the stakes, he backed down. At the very least, he should have forced the security guys to take him out in handcuffs.

• Like 1

They had their job security threatened. Everyone just saw what HHH did at SummerSlam. Dolph and Big Show lipped off and got rolled by The Shield. Why risk your livelihood for a dude who has to stand tall? Especially when there's a chance the guy standing behind you is in cahoots with this whole thing and can take you out as well.

Next week (or the week after) is when the rallying cry begins.

The show would have benefitted from Daniel Bryan squashing a mid to low level heel before Steph kicked him out of the building.

1. Further establish that running knee as his new finish.

2. Remind people he's a badass before you neuter him at the end.

• Like 1

I think Bryan is at that stage where because of his work, his character, and, importantly, his catchphrase he's basically bulletproof. I mean, losing in 18 seconds launched him into the hottest run of his career. I really doubt that after pinning John Cena clean that all of a sudden getting beatdown by a gang of heels ruins his heat.

I mean, it's the same deal with Punk. The guy has won once on PPV all year and he's hotter now as a babyface than he's ever been.

Now, we can argue the issue of why the WWE books their babyfaces to be idiots or generally selfish people, or why the McMahons and Hunter can't resist subtly demeaning characters in segments whether they're heel or babyfaces.

• Like 1