DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK THREE

Dolfan in NYC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22/raiders-refuse-to-put-gold-markings-on-field/

Oakland is refusing to paint their 50 yard line gold in honor of Super Bowl XL. NFL claims it's because of the A's, but the Raiders are saying they have no intention of doing it at all this season.

As a fan, I support even the smallest, pettiest tweaking of the NFL's nose. They have a long history of treating the Raiders like dirt, and, as shown by the non-resolution of the Pacman Jones incident, seem to have no intention of extending an olive branch, so fuck 'em.

• Like 3

Al Davis is smiling somewhere.

I assume he's standing at the right hand of whatever underworld may or may not exist's leader giving him advice on who to draft into hell based on speed.

Mary Kay Cabot reports that McCown has passed concussion test and will start for the Browns.

Back to the bench for you Johnny Football

Browns gon' Brown. This is a mistake.

Umm...have you watched Johnny Football play?  He threw 15 passes in the one game they won, he fumbled 3 plays in a row in the game they lost.  They aren't benching John Elway or Joe Montana, they are benching Tim Tebow lite.

• Like 1

According to Pro Football Reference, McCown has had 50 career starts while Manziel has had 3 career starts.  Everyone knows that McCown is at best an average QB other than that one run in Chicago, so why not give Manziel a few more starts to see what he can do?  It's not like Cleveland really expects to be a playoff contender, right?

• Like 1

According to Pro Football Reference, McCown has had 50 career starts while Manziel has had 3 career starts.  Everyone knows that McCown is at best an average QB other than that one run in Chicago, so why not give Manziel a few more starts to see what he can do?  It's not like Cleveland really expects to be a playoff contender, right?

I honestly belive that they belive that Johnny Football isn't an NFL caliber quarterback.  McCown, while overwhelmingly average has the ability to run an NFL offense, Johnny does not.  They won 7 games last year with Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel.  If they could get average play from McCown it isn't out of the question that they could improve.  The problem is that average play from McCown will just leave you with McCown as a quarterback because they'll be too good to get a decent quarterback in the draft.  The Browns biggest issue since coming back isn't that they've sucked, it is that they haven't sucked enough.  They've always been good enough that they couldn't get the blue chip quarterback.  They've always had to reach for the quarterback with all the red flags.

I honestly belive that they belive that Johnny Football isn't an NFL caliber quarterback.  McCown, while overwhelmingly average has the ability to run an NFL offense, Johnny does not.  They won 7 games last year with Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel.  If they could get average play from McCown it isn't out of the question that they could improve.  The problem is that average play from McCown will just leave you with McCown as a quarterback because they'll be too good to get a decent quarterback in the draft.  The Browns biggest issue since coming back isn't that they've sucked, it is that they haven't sucked enough.  They've always been good enough that they couldn't get the blue chip quarterback.  They've always had to reach for the quarterback with all the red flags.

The only QB picked ahead of Manziel was Blake Bortles, who was a reach at #3. Meanwhile, the Browns passed on Teddy Bridgewater, who went to the Vikings at #32, and Derek Carr, who went Raiders at #36. Interestingly, the Browns traded up 4 spots to get Manziel, who would still have been there at #26.

• Like 1

Mary Kay Cabot reports that McCown has passed concussion test and will start for the Browns.

Back to the bench for you Johnny Football

Browns gon' Brown. This is a mistake.

Umm...have you watched Johnny Football play? He threw 15 passes in the one game they won, he fumbled 3 plays in a row in the game they lost. They aren't benching John Elway or Joe Montana, they are benching Tim Tebow lite.

Have you watched McCown play? We know who he is. We don't know who Manziel will grow into being. They're not doing jack this year anyway, might as well get him reps and see if there's anything there.

• Like 2

The only QB picked ahead of Manziel was Blake Bortles, who was a reach at #3. Meanwhile, the Browns passed on Teddy Bridgewater, who went to the Vikings at #32, and Derek Carr, who went Raiders at #36. Interestingly, the Browns traded up 4 spots to get Manziel, who would still have been there at #26.

The only reason they reached for Johnny, is because they reached for Weeden, who they only drafted, because they couldn't get Luck or RGIII, who they only needed because Colt McCoy didn't work out who was only on the team because Brady Quinn sucked...etc.  My point is they're always reaching for quarterbacks because the can't miss prospects are always gone.

The question that comes up for me is why weren't guys like Bridgewater and Carr better ranked prospects than Johnny Manziel?  Bridgewater was the #1 prospect when the NCAA season ended, but somehow fell and kept falling for no apparent reason.  He threw 31 TDs and 4 INTs his last year in college including 447 yards and 3 TDs in his last game.  Somehow he went from consensus top 5 pick to no one wanting him.  Picking a quarterback is like packing up all your shit to search for gold in the Yukon, sure it will pay off if you hit paydirt, but odds are you're just going to freeze your ass off and become a failure. 

Vincey, yes I've seen McCown play, but you act like benching Johnny, 2nd year in the league and already been to rehab, Manziel is a huge mistake.  He isn't an NFL talent.  If you are a coach who wants to continue to get paid millions of dollars, you don't start a quarterback who isn't NFL caliber.  McCown is not anywhere close to good, but Johnny isn't anywhere close to average.

Ultimately, they have to do something with Manziel.  You don't draft QBs in the first round for them to rot on the bench.  Whether Manziel is good enough can be discussed.  But we know McCown isn't.  McCown will do just enough to screw Cleveland over AGAIN when it comes to drafting for the position.

So what to do?  Eventually, will McCown goof up enough to where fans cry for Manziel?  Then Pettine will be over a barrel for sure.  It's clear he doesn't want to play the guy and he's only dealing with him because Haslem made the call to take JFF.

Right about now, Pettine probably wishes he was a coordinator somewhere else.  At least this mess wouldn't be on his plate.

According to Pro Football Reference, McCown has had 50 career starts while Manziel has had 3 career starts. Everyone knows that McCown is at best an average QB other than that one run in Chicago, so why not give Manziel a few more starts to see what he can do? It's not like Cleveland really expects to be a playoff contender, right?

I honestly belive that they belive that Johnny Football isn't an NFL caliber quarterback. McCown, while overwhelmingly average has the ability to run an NFL offense, Johnny does not. They won 7 games last year with Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel. If they could get average play from McCown it isn't out of the question that they could improve. The problem is that average play from McCown will just leave you with McCown as a quarterback because they'll be too good to get a decent quarterback in the draft. The Browns biggest issue since coming back isn't that they've sucked, it is that they haven't sucked enough. They've always been good enough that they couldn't get the blue chip quarterback. They've always had to reach for the quarterback with all the red flags.

The only reason they reached for Johnny, is because they reached for Weeden, who they only drafted, because they couldn't get Luck or RGIII, who they only needed because Colt McCoy didn't work out who was only on the team because Brady Quinn sucked...etc. My point is they're always reaching for quarterbacks because the can't miss prospects are always gone.

The question that comes up for me is why weren't guys like Bridgewater and Carr better ranked prospects than Johnny Manziel? Bridgewater was the #1 prospect when the NCAA season ended, but somehow fell and kept falling for no apparent reason. He threw 31 TDs and 4 INTs his last year in college including 447 yards and 3 TDs in his last game. Somehow he went from consensus top 5 pick to no one wanting him. Picking a quarterback is like packing up all your shit to search for gold in the Yukon, sure it will pay off if you hit paydirt, but odds are you're just going to freeze your ass off and become a failure.

Vincey, yes I've seen McCown play, but you act like benching Johnny, 2nd year in the league and already been to rehab, Manziel is a huge mistake.

It is a huge mistake. I believe that. He has quite a lot of athleticism and you're judging his NFL career on quite a small sample. We have a huge sample of McCown and guess what? He's replacement level. Generic QB2. The Browns are deeply untalented. An average QB isn't gonna take them to the promised land. Your opinion would be valid if they were just a competent QB away but they're not. You might as well try to develop Manziel either for you or to build up trade value.

The only reason they reached for Johnny, is because they reached for Weeden, who they only drafted, because they couldn't get Luck or RGIII, who they only needed because Colt McCoy didn't work out who was only on the team because Brady Quinn sucked...etc.  My point is they're always reaching for quarterbacks because the can't miss prospects are always gone.

Funny thing is that Colt McCoy is at this point in time better than any QB on the Browns roster.  McCown and Manziel both suck.  The Redskins actually have three QBs on their roster who are all better than any QB on the Browns and they all suck as well. 

• Like 1

The question that comes up for me is why weren't guys like Bridgewater and Carr better ranked prospects than Johnny Manziel?  Bridgewater was the #1 prospect when the NCAA season ended, but somehow fell and kept falling for no apparent reason.  He threw 31 TDs and 4 INTs his last year in college including 447 yards and 3 TDs in his last game.  Somehow he went from consensus top 5 pick to no one wanting him.  Picking a quarterback is like packing up all your shit to search for gold in the Yukon, sure it will pay off if you hit paydirt, but odds are you're just going to freeze your ass off and become a failure. 

Vincey, yes I've seen McCown play, but you act like benching Johnny, 2nd year in the league and already been to rehab, Manziel is a huge mistake.  He isn't an NFL talent.  If you are a coach who wants to continue to get paid millions of dollars, you don't start a quarterback who isn't NFL caliber.  McCown is not anywhere close to good, but Johnny isn't anywhere close to average.

I knew Johnny was gonna wash out,in part because I know that he has substance issues and comes from a life of entitlement and facilitation. He was an athletic freak in a perfect system for him, helped out by a line with 3 future NFL 1st rounders and a freak WR (Mike Evans). That's why he dropped to begin with. Bridgewater wasn't a prototype pro-style QB (like Bortles) or a newer generation dual-threat, but he was a prolific passer and a solid talent.

As a Longhorns fan, I could tell you that you had a steal in McCoy and should have held on to him while actually giving him some help on offense, but I do think his long-term NFL trajectory is dependable career back-up. There was no need to reach for Weeden or Manziel.