DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING SPORTS STUPIDITY THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I haven't followed the case at all, so I have no idea of the evidence against him, but I would think this "hoax" or whatever the fuck you want to call it would pretty much make the case impossible to get a conviction on. Any defense attorney worth their salt ought to be able to make Kane into the "victim" at trial. I'm not saying its for or right, but just what see likely to happen. . . 

I haven't followed the case at all, so I have no idea of the evidence against him, but I would think this "hoax" or whatever the fuck you want to call it would pretty much make the case impossible to get a conviction on. Any defense attorney worth their salt ought to be able to make Kane into the "victim" at trial. I'm not saying its for or right, but just what see likely to happen. . .

It doesn't help Kane at all - it may not even be admissible. Even if it is, the kit is still sealed...

Bigger, faster athletes, lighter, less contact practices... taking the game too seriously, not teaching proper fundimentals, kids more concerned with mimicing the shitty highlight style of the pro's, etc etc etc

Would also throw out the not great medical care at the game site compared to college and NFL

This probably has a lot to do with it. I know high school football is a different beast in the States, but when I played our medical "staff" was volunteer student paramedic that graduated from our high school 2 years previously.

A third high school football player has been killed in the field in the past month.

What the fuck...

The fact that an NFL player hasn't been killed on the field is the real what the fuck situation.  Football may very well be the most dangerous thing that we think it is acceptable for children to do.  I remember when I was in high school some kid got hurt really bad during one of our games, and we were standing on the sideline discussing if we would feel guilty if we killed someone on the field.  That is a ridiculous conversation for a 14 year old to be having, but the fact that it went through our mind is even crazier.  There isn't really a such thing as a safe way to play a game where hitting your opponent as hard as you can is a vital part of the game. 

• Like 1

Quick google search didn't bring up too much. Off the top of my head, there was a Canadian kid (I think he was in his 20s and playing semi-pro) that died during a fight when his helmet came off and he hit his head on the ice. I think I remember a player in Russia dying a few years ago when he was hit in the head with a puck.

Of course, there have been famous close calls, like Clint Malarchuk having his jugular cut by a skate blade. But from what I can tell, it does not seem to happen with the same regularity as football.

Hockey's biggest problem has been fighters succumbing to drugs/alcohol and suicides after their playing careers have ended.

I guess my point is I don't really know anymore if Football is a game that should be played by high schoolers, or at least kids under 16. Or put rules in place to change how tackling is done.

Here's a question. How many kids are killed playing High School hockey every year?

Except the cat is already out of the bag.  It would take an act of God for youth football to be banned, especially at the high school level.  There really is no way to change the rules of tackling, because in real time tackling doesn't really follow any rules.  When a 200 pound man is running at you full speed, you just take the guy done however you can.  No rule can make the game safe, it is unsafe by design. 

Right. But in terms of High School/Junior Hockey the answer is slim to nil right?

This is so hard to tell.  Hockey occupies such a strange space in American sports that people could be dying all over the place and it might not make the news.  Hockey, especially youth hockey is just not really on most people's radar.  I'd bet the majority of the country couldn't name 5 hockey players.  Remember a few years ago when that Real Sports report said the cheerleading was the most dangerous youth sport.  In case you missed it, it was all about how it is irresponsible to have 13 year old girls pick up other 13 year olds and throw them in the air.  That seems like common sense, but it was very apparent that no one had really thought about it until that report came out.  Girls all over the country were being dropped on their heads because they trusted a group of teenage girls to catch them while doing a complex acrobatic routine.  I don't think any of them made national news.  Youth hockey is a much smaller "sport" than cheerleading, so I wouldn't be surprised if youth hockey was full of catastropic injuries.  It is a really dangerous sport played on an extremely hard surface while wearing sharp ass skates.  It has to come up from time to time.

It would seem, in the US, you are more likely to get stories about crazy hockey patents than injuries in youth hockey.

It sems like you have more death in high school soccer from players w bad hearts dying on the pitch than serious hockey injuries/deaths.

It would seem, in the US, you are more likely to get stories about crazy hockey patents than injuries in youth hockey.

It sems like you have more death in high school soccer from players w bad hearts dying on the pitch than serious hockey injuries/deaths.

Yeah, youth soccer has more concussions than youth football.  Turns out hitting a ball with your unhelmeted head is really fucking harmful when you aren't done growing.

Yeah, youth soccer has more concussions than youth football. Turns out hitting a ball with your unhelmeted head is really fucking harmful when you aren't done growing.

I remember a podcast leading into the World Cup with Amy Wamback and she advocated NOT teaching kids how to do headers till they were at least in the mid to late teens

Would also throw out the not great medical care at the game site compared to college and NFL

Depends on the school I guess, but at the games in the district I serve the first line is the team trainer and we always have at the minimum one ALS ambulance at the game. Now, if you're gonna say that's a substandard level of care then I hope you don't ever bother calling 911 for anything.