DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING SPORTS STUPIDITY THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

If something goes on like a golf player gets into an Ambien-fueled car accident after being beaten by his wife OR say a couple of WNBA players get arrested for Domestic Violence on each other, it'll go here.

Anyway, if you haven't seen, a couple of kids in a HS football game felt the need to blindside a referee in San Antonio and send him to a hospital.  

They've been grabbing at straws (ref made bad calls, ref was using racial slurs) to avoid getting prosecuted for aggravated assault.   Their latest hilarious defense is "we were just following orders."

http://deadspin.com/texas-high-school-players-say-they-were-told-by-coach-t-1731629430

If something goes on like a golf player gets into an Ambien-fueled car accident after being beaten by his wife OR say a couple of WNBA players get arrested for Domestic Violence on each other, it'll go here.

Anyway, if you haven't seen, a couple of kids in a HS football game felt the need to blindside a referee in San Antonio and send him to a hospital.  

They've been grabbing at straws (ref made bad calls, ref was using racial slurs) to avoid getting prosecuted for aggravated assault.   Their latest hilarious defense is "we were just following orders."

http://deadspin.com/texas-high-school-players-say-they-were-told-by-coach-t-1731629430

I honestly don't know how this is going to play out, but there has to be some sort of explaination other than two players decided to attack a referee.  It could be one of these, or a combination of them all, but I find it hard to believe that two players decided to hit a referee for no reason.  If I had to guess, a coach probably ordered it, especially knowing that one and only one of the assistant coaches was suspended. 

Yeah. Yeah, now here comes the speech about how he's just doing his job by following orders. Friends, let me tell you about another group of hate mongers that were just following orders.

Angry Smoking Crowd: Who's that?

Chewlies Gum Rep: They were called Nazis!

Woolen Cap Smoker: Nazis, that's right.

Angry Smoking Crowd: Fuckin' Nazi!

Chewlies Gum Rep: Yeah, and they practically wiped an entire nation of people off the Earth just like your cigarettes are doing now.

• Like 2

Of all the people to use a "I was just following orders" defense, I would buy it most from a high school football player. Not saying it erasing their culpability, but HS coaches, I would imagine in Texas especially can be freaking dictators who you don't easily say no to. Its not a defense, but it is an explanation. . . .

Of all the people to use a "I was just following orders" defense, I would buy it most from a high school football player. Not saying it erasing their culpability, but HS coaches, I would imagine in Texas especially can be freaking dictators who you don't easily say no to. Its not a defense, but it is an explanation. . . .

See All the Right Moves.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I, for one, am stunned that teenagers can't keep a story straight, even if telling the truth. Flummoxed, even.

The assistant coach has admitted to ordering the hit on the referee for making bad calls and using racial slurs.  I kind of seen this one coming, because as a former high school football player, I didn't really belive that two players would just take out a referee on their own.  Honestly I don't think it would even cross their mind.  When you're playing a football game, you don't really dwell on anything.  If a ref makes a bad call, you might be upset about it, but by the time the next play starts you have too much to think about to dwell on whatever the ref just did.  Playing safety, like those two kids were playing, it is your responsibility to make sure the rest of the secondary is in the proper coverage.  You have to count the eligible receivers, figure out who you are supposed to be covering, and making any adjustments in coverage.  The ref would be way down on the list of things to think about.

The alleged victim in the Patrick Kane case had a press conference today to address various leaks and dropped this bombshell:

Rape evidence kit bag from Patrick Kane was anonymously delivered to the victim's mother

:o

You have to be a sick person to do something like that.  And that's not even getting the legal side of the situation.

For sure, Kane walks.  How can prosecution prove anything at this point?  But wow, what a effed-up way for things to go.

The alleged victim in the Patrick Kane case had a press conference today to address various leaks and dropped this bombshell:

Rape evidence kit bag from Patrick Kane was anonymously delivered to the victim's mother

:o

You have to be a sick person to do something like that. And that's not even getting the legal side of the situation.

For sure, Kane walks. How can prosecution prove anything at this point? But wow, what a effed-up way for things to go.

And that DA better be investigating that police department and lab

A couple weeks ago, a high school football player attacked an opponent by grabbing his facemask and rubbing a substance like Icy Hot all over the guy's face. The action is clearly seen on video from the game. The player's high school has declined to discipline him at all.

WTF.

And now the Kane thing has been shown to be a hoax pulled by the accuser's mom. Good grief.

Thought they showed the kit was a hoax, not the rape charges? Regardless, there's nothing for the accused to do now even if the rape was legit. And the backlash against female reporters covering this case has shown again the seedy underbelly of the male sports fan.

And now the Kane thing has been shown to be a hoax pulled by the accuser's mom. Good grief.

Thought they showed the kit was a hoax, not the rape charges? Regardless, there's nothing for the accused to do now even if the rape was legit. And the backlash against female reporters covering this case has shown again the seedy underbelly of the male sports fan.

Yes, that's what I meant - the bag, not the charges themselves. There's still an (apparently) 100% legit rape kit out there that can be used as evidence.
  • Like 1