DVDVR Message Board

Boardwalk Empire

ultimoDANK

It's not so much that Harrow died as much as that he died in not the final episode. He was one of, if not, my favorite characters on TV and it seems like he was for a lot of people. If this had happened in the final season, I'd be much more accepting of it.

Yeah but I didn't really care about Jimmy though so I was all like, whatevs.

I also think the fact that this comes on the heels of 

Sons killing off Clay

and I'm just wondering why all my favorite characters from different shows are dying in front of me.

Shit was sad.

You could tell from the fight scene between Eli and Knox that this was Van Patten episode, as brutal as the kitchen fight between Tony and Cifaretto in the Sopranos.

I knew Richard was a goner, but still, all dem feels.

I would actually not mind if the show ended this way.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally caught up.

Can we all agree that Richard Harrow is arguably one of the best character's to be portrayed on television?

Also, I really like the Rothstein/Margret pairing. Her hospital stuff 1 or 2 seasons ago was dreadful, I liked that we're still seeing glimpses of her, even if it is because she's a beaut.

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking forward to seeing a lot more of Luciano, Capone, Lansky, etc. grow into what mythological figures they've become today. Maybe they'll move a few years forward when they come back, but other then that, the show had a good run.

They have an entire season to show those guys growing to the beginnings of what they became.  Seems a bit early to say that they blew it.  I mean, if you're looking for just the set-up for these guys, do you need much more than one season?  We've already gotten some of it.  I dunno, I'm more of the opinion that maybe they should have ended it with this season.  But we'll see.

I still think that the ending with Richard would have made for a great show-closing scene. If they do use this season to show the setup for how guys like Capone, Lucky and Lansky came to be, I wonder if they'll do a spin-off.

They have an entire season to show those guys growing to the beginnings of what they became.  Seems a bit early to say that they blew it.  I mean, if you're looking for just the set-up for these guys, do you need much more than one season?  We've already gotten some of it.  I dunno, I'm more of the opinion that maybe they should have ended it with this season.  But we'll see.

I agree with this 100% this past season really seemed like it could have been the last except Nucky's story didn't really have an ending. 

• 1 month later...

Apropos of nothing, we were at my mom's over the weekend helping her catalog family photos to scan in at a later date. One of the things I found was an old Chicago Times article on the shooting death of my great-aunt's brother. Spotted at the scene: JAKE GUZIK.

• 6 months later...

It's not like Narcisse won't want revenge either way. He's gonna stick around and be a thorn in Nucky's side for sure. That is one devious motherfucker right there and I can't see him letting up on a grudge, especially when he's forced to compromise his supposed values just because he got involved with some honky from Atlantic City. Plus he has to deal with Masseria, who is going to probably be the go-to guy for a main villain next season unless they introduce someone new. 

nailed-it-moon.png

Not feeling the Nucky flashbacks yet... he's still the least interesting guy in the whole show. Far more interested in

how Chalky got put in jail and leading the jailbreak with his Stepin Fetchit buddy.

• Like 1

Lets see:

Lucy Danzinger...gone

Jimmy Darmody...dead

Manny Horvitz ... dead dead

The Commodore ...dead as a doornail but younger and alive in super flashback world

Richard Harrow ... dead on a beach

Dean O'Bannon ....  dead in flower heaven

Gyp Rosetti ... not possible to be more dead than he is

Arnold Rothstein and Masseria...dead tonight because you can't change real history unless you're Quentin Tarantino

But Margaret Schroeder....ALIVE AND FUCKING WELL

This is why we can't have nice things.

Anyway, HBO must have told them to wrap this shit up ASAP. I had no idea they only had an eight episode order until I read a Grantland article the other day. How do you botch what was a season plus long storyline (the slow ascent to power of Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky) in 15-20 minutes time? It took them several episodes to even be pushed in that direction and then tonight:

Nucky: Sorry about Arnold.

Meyer: Oh yeah, he dead.

Not a promising start at all.

But godspeed you cake eating, milk drinking, compulsive gambling heathen.

• Like 1

Oh well, so much for my predictions. Nice seeing Lucky has the lazy eye now at least (and Capone the scars in future eps). Since they're rushing all this I just hope they just don't screw up Van Alden and Chalky's fates, or do something dumb like kill off Patricia Arquette for no reason.